My Heart's on Fire for Elvira

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know for sure what Flopsy is. I got him from my neighbor, and someone else gave him to them. I'm guessing he's a mini lop or mix. He's a little small for a french lop, I think, but would be on the heavier end for a mini lop, plus he's overweight. I'm not too familiar with the body types for either breed, so not really sure which he would resemble most.

I love my mini rabbits :hearts You're right, they do always seem like babies. Especially Libby, she's just so tiny! It's funny to see her hopping around and realize that she is actually considered an adult rabbit.

You don't know much about my buns cause I stubbornly refuse to start a blog, haha, and end up instead invading yours. Thanks for being so nice about it :). I do still have Pip. She's a sweetheart in her own cage, but a fiesty little bun when I let her out to play. She's so territorial of her play area. She's the one that took a chunk out of my finger when I went to end play time. My rabbits can't be in the main part of the house cause my mom is semi allergic, so they have their own room in a back area of our house. They also have a separate play area. I have to keep some of them separate cause they are attack rabbits. Flopsy and Dakota are the only bonded ones at this point. I would have liked to have bonded Baby with Dakota and Flopsy, but Dakota is too much of a grump. I may try and bond Baby and Zeus once I get him neutered. Zeus is doing good and hasn't had any digestive issues for a while. He's just the biggest sweetheart. Loves being petted, loves being around me, such a change from when I first got him. I may be able to bond Libby and Roo too, since they seem to get along so well. The three boys I had planned on finding new homes for, but I'm having a hard time feeling comfortable with that, cause I'm so worried they'll end up in a home where they aren't well taken care of. Especially after reading about ladysown's story about the rabbit being returned to her half starved. I just can't stand the thought of them ending up being mistreated. So they are staying with me for now. Unless I find a home for them that I feel really really good about. I don't have kids or a hubby, so I can spend lots of time with my little furbabies, haha. I did do a write up on a few of my rabbits if you want to take a look.

I can't wait to see Ellie's next outdoor adventure! You have to make sure to take pics again. I'm hoping at some point my 5 'babies' will get used to it and stop being nervous about being out there and actually have some fun.

Thanks Chris. I do have some great rabbits. Some are harder to deal with than others, but I still love them :)

Last edited:
As I've always said, you can always come to my blog to share about your babies! I love hearing about them. They're all so cute.
I'm glad Zeus hasn't had any issues lately!(knock on wood!) Is he still only getting a pinch of pellets a day or did you take him completely off of them?
Flopsy is so cute, I just want to squeeze him! Personally I think he has more of french lop head than a mini lop head. But I'm no breed expert.

I read ladysown's thread, its terrible. I can't believe that happened! I fed Foo a no pellet diet, but she had such a vast variety of things that I think she got everything she needed. I wouldn't ever recommend it to someone else, unless they knew they were capable of providing such a huge variety of greens/herbs.
I think back to that, as much as I loved feeding her all those things it was SO much. Like way expensive and such an unbelievable amount of greenery that I don't think Ellie will be a no pellet bunny. She gets fresh stuff everyday of course, but not even close the volume that Foo got. And its a little hard to believe that someone from HRS would recommend a no pellet diet for a baby. They tend to lean towards pellets, especially in growing rabbits. The whole thing is just crazy and SO sad.
So I totally get why you're hesitant about finding them homes. I would be the same way. It would be really hard for me to find my babies home too, if I had babies.
I just hope I'll be able to let my chicks go when its time to sell them.

Speaking of chicks. I was out there earlier and I was looking at them, because I'm trying to sex them. I think there are like 3 rooster out of the 12. Which is a pretty good ratio for me. I'm keeping the Baby Blue roo that I have, he'll replace Big Boy. But the others will go on to other homes and have their own flocks. I think there were two whites or maybe a white and a black. Its hard to tell and since I can't get close, I'm just going by the comb appearance.
I think I'll name the blue roo that I have, Big Blue, after his dad and because we call them the Baby Blues. He just has to be separated because I can't do brother to sister breeding. I have a plan in my head and hopefully it will work!

Bed time! OHHH! I'm getting my hair done tomorrow, so be prepared for some hair pictures you guys! I'm pretty excited about it!

Actually, it's pretty remarkable how well you did with feeding Foo a no pellet diet. You took the time, did all the research, and did it right. She stayed healthy and did really well. It's not really something to be attempted by someone without a pretty good knowledge of rabbits.

Zeus doesn't get pellets any more. I had gotten up to an 1/8 cup a day and started noticing he was feeling uncomfortable after eating his pellets. So I stopped the pellets and he was fine. He gets veggies and hay, and a vitamin supplement, cause I also have to be careful about what veggies I feed him. He does get part of his hay in a hay pellet, cause he's not the best hay eater, and does better having part of his hay as pellets.

Maybe Flopsy is a french or a mix. I have no clue. I'm more familiar with hollands cause I've had them as pets for a long time. Flopsy used to be the happiest sweetest little rabbit when he was still with my neighbors. His cage was outside between our houses, so I would visit him a lot, and he would get sooo happy and circle around his cage, doing mini bunny 500's, then I brought him home and introduced him to Miss Grumpy Pants. Now he's become a little grumpy too. But he still is a pretty sweet boy, not as happy to see me as he used to be, but a very well behaved and calm rabbit.

I just got my hair cut too! I hate my hair getting too long, and I just kept procrastinating getting it cut, but finally got so sick of washing and taking care of long hair, that I broke down and went and got it chopped. Just to below my shoulders, but it's so much lighter and easier to take care of.

Well my hair is no longer blonde! Its kind of dark auburn. Hard to explain because its a mix of two colors, one was a red and the other a darker brown. It looks good though and I really like it. I got it cut too to adjust where I never got it cut again after getting a stacked bob, haha. A year ago.
I'll post some pictures later when I tame it. Its so big when I only half blow it dry and its like a big beasty monster. His name is Seymour.

Now I'm going to get deep with you guys, haha.
When spring rolls around like this, and goes into summer. I really feel the tug of my roots to this place that I live. I really feel connected to this state that I live in, to the area that I call home. I love driving down the road that is lined with daffodils. I love the smell of whisteria and even the kudzo is pretty to look at(because its not on my land!)
But in the spring, I come to my house my little tiny pea soup green house, surrounded by an old shed and a really old barn, with my chickens and my cats in the yard and it makes me what to be a more pure person. It makes me want to live off the land more, be more self sufficient and self sustained.
I feel the roots of my farming ancestors pulling me towards making it on my own, like they did. My family came from other places to North and South Carolina, they lived simple farming lives. That blood runs deep in these states. And every spring, something changes and I just want to go back to living the simple life. Where we don't rely on modern conveniences and we don't rely on someone else to grow and cook our food.
Thats how I feel when spring and summer roll around. I don't know how everyone else feels, so how do you all feel when the weather changes?

And now to buy chicken feed. I swear with 2 birds they ate 50 lbs in like 2 months, but with 14 they eat it in 2.5 weeks. Thats a huge difference especially when its $20 a bag! haha.
Pictures later. Maybe I'll bring Ellie outside, its supposed to be 70* today!

Can´t wait to see pics of your new hair...I like the auburn but your sounds a bit like mine, it´s lighter at the top than at the bottom...could really do with going to a real hairdresser and getting the colour made more even.

I do understand what you mean, going back to nature and living off the land, doing without all the mod cons and feeling really bone tired at the end of the day. I sometimes hate modern life and modern technology and no one talks to anyone else and no one just listens to the sounds of nature and life, there´s always so much going on around us. There are always pros and cons to all things and I don´t know if I could go back to washing in a sink of in a stream and don´t know how I´d do getting meat and hunting. But I do like the idea of living the experience.

If my pond had clean water, I would definitely wash my clothes in it! haha. I've thought about it, but the water has lots of sediment in it and lots of life! haha.
I just think(and don't get all shocked on me now people) that if the end of the world happened, like say a zombie apocalypse, a lot of people wouldn't survive because they rely too much on everyone else to do everything for them. Like my SIL, she would get eaten first; just sayin' hahaha. I think that if people didn't have a supermarket to buy food in they would starve, if they didn't have a washing machine to wash clothes they would be really dirty, if they didn't have cars to drive then it would REALLY be the end of the world because they would have to walk. haha. OR if they didn't have fast food to supply them with the constant cheeseburgers they might as well jump off a cliff. haha.
Now I'm not saying that I'm like this nature woman, I enjoy hot showers and car rides, but I'm saying if the fit hit the shan then I could probably survive because I DO know how to wash my clothes in the sink and grow my own food, I also know how to shoot a gun and a bow and arrow. I'm not saying there is a guarantee that I would survive forever, but there is a chance I would make it longer than most! haha. And we have a well, so I always have water and we have a wood stove so we always have a stove and heat. BAM! Survival! haha.
Okay, I'm done now. I've been really ranty since like 8am. I'm not going to talk about what I went off on my husband about, but it was a little ridiculous. I need to stop watching national geographic specials.

I want to say that I think kids shows should have a disclaimer before they air the show like "don't try this at home, don't do this! Crocodiles are really dangerous as are puffer fish and just because you have goggles on doesn't mean you can go into the ocean and you won't survive being swallowed by a whale. And you aren't a pirate, please don't poke your eye out to have an eye patch, the peg legs are fake. No really, that crocodile will eat you, don't try to clean its teeth. And not all baby ducks talk with a stupid lisp." I think thats what should come up before the show starts. Just a little dangerous for kids to think that its okay to do somethings that they do on kid shows.
Now I'm REALLY done.

OHHHH! Ellie full on flopped today! She had her head down and everything! It was amazing. She is so cute!

I can just see you being chased by zombies...but yes, I get the idea. I think I´d last longer than some people I know who don´t know how to do anything for themselves. I suppose living on your own is a good teacher, if you don´t do things for yourselves, they just don´t get done. I suppose as well that getting used to being without a car is something that we lived with when I was younger. I remember I used to walk everywhere and even now, it I haven´t got the car, I will sometimes start walking rather than wait for the bus cos I just get impatient and can be halfway to where I want to go before the bus turns up. We´re a society that don´t really do much exercise and kids don´t spend all day playing out now, they´re stuck in front of a TV or computer and don´t interact with anyone.

I´ve got no kids but some of the kids shows are totally dumb. Then again, did we believe everything we saw on the telly. Not surprised some kids are like they are when you see what they regularly watch....

And talking of burgers, when I was ill last week, I kept seeing the ad for the Burger King and a special they had on. Everytime I saw it, I was longing for that burger and finally went there on Wednesday to have it. Was I disappointed...why does it look enormous in their ads and have lettuce and tomato and cheese and looks so yummy. It was so small and when I opened the packaging, I couldn´t even see the burgers inside the bun. I pulled off the top to get rid of the gherkins (YUK) and there was only a gooey slice of cheese and two small burgers. The portion of chips was a kids portion so only about 15. Was I disappointed.....think that´s put me off the Burger King for a good while....why is the reality never as good as the fantasy lol.

I know what you mean about people not surviving. So many people are helpless in that way and now a days there is no common sense either. Ha. I sound like an old person, I should be sitting on a bench. We did buy a home in the country for a reason. We grow a large garden every year and can the food we don't eat fresh or give away. We both fish and cook our catches, nothing better than a sweet blue channel cat fresh caught. I thought at first the girls would balk at seeing a live fish and knowing we would be eating it but they couldn't wait. Even as an adult I would walk. When I used to live in a small town I would walk to the grocery store if we didn't need more than I could carry. We don't hunt but would if we had to. Our neighbor does give us some of his deer meat which we grind into burger. I'm not crazy about it so we cook it with other ingredients like spaghetti. My hubby has me stocking up. That's also one reason he wants to get chickens especially since we feel the price of everything is just going to keep increasing.

PaGal, raising your own chickens is definitely the way to go. You get the fryer chickens, have them for a few weeks then process them. Hopefully you have a huge freezer or deep freeze! If you divide the amount of pounds of birds, by the meals and the pounds of feed you have then I think you always come out better than the grocery store and you know what they're eating and you know they aren't pumped full of hormones. I actually think that I have the stomach now to process my own birds, so I've been thinking more and more about getting meat birds. You're right the prices are going up and up. The price of grain is going up too. When I first got chickens 2 years ago, I was paying $13 for a 50 lb bag of feed and then a few months later it went up to $18. Thats a huge price jump! I just paid $19 for a bag today. Other than the fresh meat, fresh eggs are the best. There is nothing like picking up an egg that is still warm, at first a little creepy then you get used to it and admire your birds for laying this amazing delicious nutritious thing every single day. My hen is the BEST layer, in the dead of winter, through a molt, she continues on and lays those eggs! It all depends on what you want size wise and what you want your birds to do for you. I happen to have these massive birds who are only really good for laying, but from what I've heard, they taste pretty good too. If no one comes to get the roo, he may make it to freezer camp! haha.

OHHH! And don't even get my started on catching fresh fish! My husband can't clean a fish, but I can! I love fresh cat fish, oh my goodness. I kind of want to buy some channel cats and put them in our pond, let them grow and then catch them and eat them! Is that wrong? hahaha. That would make me SO happy.
Short story. My grandmothers 4th husband had this really whiny son. We were in the Outer Banks of NC and were surf fishing. Catching little fish, I can't remember what they were I was like 10. But this kid was like 19 and was CRYING about us killing and eating the fish. Literally sat in the truck for an afternoon and cried because we were cleaning fish! He was REALLY unhappy when we stopped on the side of the road and picked up some live blue crabs. He sat at the dinner table(because his dad made him) and whimpered and cried as we enjoyed fresh ocean fish and blue crabs. I remember it being such a good dinner, and to watch him cry made it...even freaking better. LMAO.

Last edited:
I would prefer smaller chickens. As I have said before I'm not the most open to birds. But I plan to start researching. Possibly look for chickens that are good eating but of course lay as well. We don't eat a ton of eggs especially since they can do a real number on my tummy at times. Our neighbors roo attacked his 12 year old son so he shot it. Then he brought it to us and we ate it. My husband cleaned it as he knows how but I don't.

I so hope we get to go fishing this year. We have a beach about 40-50 minutes from us. It's brackish water as we are not too far from the coast. The beach is used mostly by locals so it's not crowded. There are shells everywhere for the kids to hunt through. last year I found our first sharks tooth. I was so excited. The water is no more than 3-4 feet for about a mile out, calm waves so it makes it perfect for young kids to swim and there is fishing. It's where we have caught most of the blue cats we've ate. Sometimes you catch a fish just reeling in, not even trying.

My husband does warn me not to get too attached to chickens when we get them, no giving them names. :) Heck, if I had a pond I would stock it.

I would prefer smaller chickens. As I have said before I'm not the most open to birds. But I plan to start researching. Possibly look for chickens that are good eating but of course lay as well. We don't eat a ton of eggs especially since they can do a real number on my tummy at times. Our neighbors roo attacked his 12 year old son so he shot it. Then he brought it to us and we ate it. My husband cleaned it as he knows how but I don't.

I so hope we get to go fishing this year. We have a beach about 40-50 minutes from us. It's brackish water as we are not too far from the coast. The beach is used mostly by locals so it's not crowded. There are shells everywhere for the kids to hunt through. last year I found our first sharks tooth. I was so excited. The water is no more than 3-4 feet for about a mile out, calm waves so it makes it perfect for young kids to swim and there is fishing. It's where we have caught most of the blue cats we've ate. Sometimes you catch a fish just reeling in, not even trying.

My husband does warn me not to get too attached to chickens when we get them, no giving them names. :) Heck, if I had a pond I would stock it.

Well, if you decide you want some giant chickens, then I got you covered! ;) I have lots of giants and I'm willing to ship. haha.
Yeah, I totally agree with not getting attached to meat birds. A lot of times people have separate flocks, layers and fryers. The layers are pets and the fryers are freezer friendly.

I think I might talk to my husband about getting some catfish for the pond, I think he'll enjoy that. :)

Morgan so much happens on your blog. I can't keep up anymore!!!

I liked reading about you enjoying where you live and driving on the roads and the smell of the flowers and your house and your barn :) It sounded very "southern" and the south has always appealed to me in many ways.

Yes people aren't self sufficient anymore but it's obvious why. I could never be self sufficient totally. I do love to garden but I couldn't raise and slaughter animals. But I LOVE to fish and eat fish. I've never cleaned one but I've watched my dad do it a million times. We don't have the best fishing in Iowa but we still ate his catch many times for dinner growing up :) Good memories. My dad cleaning the fish in the garage and then bringing it to my mom to fry in the kitchen.Maybe that's why I'm such a fish/seafood fan now. If it comes from the water, I'll eat it :)

I hate windows 8 stupid thing makes my computer do things I didn't want it to do, now I have to retype everything..Ggrrrr.

Where I used to live in Pa. there was a working farm that was open to the public and we would take the kids there. The one place I would never go is the duck pond because I just do not trust birds so I was thinking it would be better for me to get younger birds. If we get chickens when they are young I could get to know them before they get bigger.

We have plenty of small animal swaps around here, places to buy everything from fertilized eggs to hatch up to adult chickens,ducks. Is there an age chicks are supposed to be before leaving their mama? I would want what is best for the chick and I am sure like any other animal there are those that would sell too young with no thought to the animal. Would we be better off hatching some? I do know some about chickens like that chicks need to be kept warm and how to provide that and also that they can drown easy. We do have several farm supply stores around us including southern states so I know we can find whatever equipment and supplies we would need. Heck one of my fave places to go is our Agri supply. Before the time comes I will read up and research and ask whoever we know that might have any experience. My husband knows plenty of people through work and having grown up here but I know no one. My neighbor has chickens but he's a really country guy and does things that way. We are country at heart but do our best also to take the best care of our pets. I'm sure being in the south you know the type and I'm not against that type. Now I'm rambling. :)

I guess I would either want smaller chickens or maybe just ones that are less cantankerous .HaHa. How are your chickens in that department? I already know how the roo is and no way do I want one. :) Being hardy would be good although the winters down here aren't the same as Pittsburgh.

For the age that chicks can leave their mom is whenever. You can hatch them without their moms. The benefits I've seen with having a hen raise the chicks are: 1) she incubates them until they hatch, so you don't have to worry about doing the right thing with an incubator. She keeps them the right temp, the right humidity and turns them all on her own. 2) you don't have to have a brooder, because they sleep with her and she keeps them warm. 3) she teaches them how to peck and scratch and do everything they need to know.
They know how to do things on their own, its natural, but there is something about watching a mama hen teach her babies to scratch and eat. And its also something to see when she finds something good and calls them over to come eat it. I love watching it.
But if you incubated them, hatched them and then brooded them, that would work too. You would just be their mama. A LOT of chicks get hand raised and they come out just fine. With hatching them yourself, I think they turn out to be more friendly and people oriented, although all chickens are different and have different personalities just like rabbits.
I will say that for my breed of chicken, the jersey giant, they are VERY hardy. They can withstand very cold temps and do very well in the heat too. They do eat a lot more food than say the smaller bantam breeds. BUT just seeing the sheer size of your chicken is the best thing ever! And when people come over and go OMG thats the biggest chicken I've ever seen, it makes you smile on the inside. I wouldn't trade this breed for the world. I did some wrong things with my rooster that probably will never be corrected, but those are mistakes that I won't make again. As with all animals and in life, its live and learn.
The jersey giant is actually supposed to be a very friendly, kid friendly breed. I got the duds in that department. But I've heard of a few people having them and saying they're really sweet and nice, maybe as long as you don't get a roo!
I will say though, today I was around some commercial egg laying white leghorns, they're small like 2-4 lbs I think, they were SO sweet and SO calm. They were also raised in a college barn and around people all the time, but they were totally okay with us doing whatever we wanted to them. They're all good egg layers because they're commercial, (like the white eggs you get from the store, only if raised by you, you know what you're feeding!) Someone also told me today that they have dark brahma's and they're really nice birds too. I personally LOVE the light brahma's, they're so pretty. I've heard they're good layers and good broodies/mothers.
For dual purpose, maybe a sex link, either white, black or red. They're good looking and they're decent layers. ORRRR if you wanted to add some color to your egg basket, you could get americana's, auracana's or easter eggers. They all lay light to dark blue eggs, sometimes green. They're such pretty eggs and the birds are really nice looking too.
And there are my chicken suggestions for about what you're looking for! haha.

If you get hatching eggs or chicks or older chicks, I would HIGHLY recommend getting them from a NPIP certified supplier. Most, if not all of the big named hatcheries are NPIP certified. BUT I would caution you against McMurray, as well known as they are, they've had some issues in the last few months with chicks dying soon after the people get them. In the winter their minimum is 25 chicks, because its cold and they need to stay warm together in the box. Well, as we know the postal service isn't gentle at all. But this one woman lost 14 chicks out of 25, in the span of like 3 days after their arrival. That is unbelievable. You always expect to lose like 1-2, but 14?! McMurray replaced her chicks but still, something isn't right. There were a few other people who were losing like a third of their orders a few days after they got them. That to me, is a little scary.
You can find NPIP local farms/hatcheries that are family owner or like me, just a person and get whatever you and probably hand pick the chickens.
Thats just me personally though, but you have to do whatever you feel comfortable with. I hope I helped! As I rambled on and on and on...:)

Last edited:
Well, I went to my poultry workshop today. From 7:30am till 6:45pm. I got up at 4am, I think I'm going to die.
I learned SO much. I got handed a 2 inch binder FILLED with information that we went over. On common diseases of chickens, the importance of testing for those diseases, the ways to fix them or not fix them. All kinds of stuff. I got to witness a chicken necropsy, it was strangely...awesome. I also got to practice, hands on, testing for pullorum/typhoid. I had to prick her wing and take blood! I did it! I'm so proud of myself!
I really enjoyed the whole thing and I feel like I learned so much and everyone was so nice.
AND I am now an official legit state NPIP tester! Its not a whole lot of responsibility but I can go to auctions and test the birds as they come in the door and make sure they're clean before they go to the auction and contaminate the rest of the birds. So while its not much, I can still do my part in my area in helping the sick birds stay out of the auctions. I can also go to neighboring farms and test their birds and send in their paperwork and stuff. So I'm doing my part to help make this area a pullorum/typhoid clean area! I feel special.
Plus when the woman comes out to monitor me testing my flock, then my flock with be a NPIP clean flock with a special federal number and a spiffy sign to put up! haha. I'm going to put it on my front fence and display that sucker with pride, I might frame the sign and hang it up like that! hahahaha.
But we crammed like a million things into 11 hours, it was totally nuts and amazing. I really enjoyed learning all that stuff. ]

NOW I just have to re-do my whole coop and clean it out really well and change the bedding to sand and make it amazing.

Congratulations! It sounds like you really enjoyed your day although it was long. I know I always enjoy learning something new. Thank you for all of the info. I really do appreciate it. I know I can learn plenty on my own but I also like hearing from real people since often you may hear things that you just do not find in books or elsewhere. I think I will go with hatched chicks.

Giant chickens might be the thing. After all I do have a big dog, a big bunny. We had a giant fish that was 18 inches long. Kinda funny since we are not big people. If we decided to eat any of the chickens then bigger would be better, our tiny girls eat like teenage boys!

I used to work for the post office doing cleaning and maintenance so I know how they can be. We had a shipment of chicks come in once and they called the farmer right away for him to come pick them up. He didn't come for a few days for some reason, I never did find out why. Another guy (who grew up on a farm) and I took care of the chicks till the farmer came. Boy did those little things make a racket. Their peeping sounded so cute at first but after hearing it for hours everyday it did start to wear on you.

Morgan, wow that is fascinating hearing about the chickens and breeding and different breeds, never knew it was that complicated.

Good that you enjoyed your day and congrats on being a tester now. It is good that there are people watching over the health of these birds at the auctions. It makes me want to have space and have some chickens of my own with fresh eggs and all the rest...I am so jealous.

LIfe is learning curve so it´s good that we get things wrong as long as we learn from our mistakes. You´ve learned so much from your own experiences and it´s great you can pass on that wisdom to others.

Morgan, I'm not sure if you've mentioned this before, have you been around lots of animals for your whole life? All this chicken stuff sounds crazy, but you really know a lot about it! Congrats on getting certified, too. I have cousins in Washington who raise goats and chickens, have a horse and cats, and train seeing eye dogs. I would always try to milk the goats, never got the hang of it. It's funny how you mentioned certain chickens are for eating and others are more like pets - My cousins and their family raise their goats and would show them in 4H when they were younger, and my aunt sells goat milk products like soaps online. But they also eat them eventually. They leave the property when the butcher gets there, but they're completely fine with eating them! I don't think I could eat something that had a name.

Lyndy, yes I have had lots of animals my whole life. When I was a kid we rented a house from some older people who had 3 horses and a ton of goats. I was already in the advanced riding classes at the age of 10 when we knew them. But in order to ride their horses I had to work for it. I would have to scoop the stalls out, feed the goats, milk them. Make sure the barn had clean hay and clean the barn where the goats were. THEN after all that was done, I could catch my own horse and ride. I think thats the way it should be too, work before fun always makes the fun SO much better.
But I've had cats and dogs my whole life. I got Foo when I was 20 and I knew then I could never be without a rabbit and I probably never will be.
The REAL reason I got chickens was to eat the frogs in my yard. Sounds ridiculous, but since we have a nice sized pond in our backyard we have about a million toads every summer. Its no fun to walk on them or hit them with the lawn mower, so the chickens eat the frogs. We also knew that the hens would make eggs and that was a plus. I originally had 3, but one hen got hit by a car. I always loved chickens and I remember when I was a teenager begging my mom for hens but she wouldn't let me have them. I knew I always wanted them when I had my own house and this place is perfect for them. But after doing a ton of research AFTER I got them, I realized how amazing they really are. I researched the breeds and researched their care. Trust me I don't know THAT much about them, I have pretty common knowledge, now a little bit more because of my NPIP class. But now after having them for 2 years and them eating the spiders and the frogs, its turned into more than pest control. Its turned into something great and I can't wait to get my hatchery off the ground! My "need" for frog eaters has turned into a love for giant chickens.

Back to goats, I LOVE goats milk. If any of you haven't tried it, you should. Its heavier than cows milk and its sweeter but its SO good. Its my favorite way to eat oatmeal is with goats milk. Okay, goat facts: goats milk is easier for the human body to process than cows milk, goats will eat your poison ivy and they don't react to it so its an easy way to get rid of poison ivy if you have a goat. They act like dogs, they're super friendly and funny to watch. They don't pull the grass out by the roots they snip the blades half way down and therefore make a great lawnmower! haha. Those are things I learned and remember about being near goats.

Back