Kid with issues!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palm9999

Reaction score
:mad:
I have a siamese cat that lives outside of my house (comes in at timesthough) and he cornered a very small and cute bunny today! He is brownand I am not sure what kind he is! he is wild and we have had manyrabbits living around here so he might be just a cottontail orsomething i dont know
but his eyes are open and he is alert and only a little scared as far as i can tell
i may take him to a vet tommorrow to have him checked out
but i cant return him for fear of my cat eating him
what should i feed him?
i gave him some lettuce and carrots and water in a small ashtray.
will he die if I keep him?
I dont know what to do!!!!
Please respond fast as I am scared for his life!

I have fed him milk but he still has not used the bathroom

I know with young rabbits, you have to stimulatethem tog go to the bahtroom. Try having a warm damp cloth and pattingaround his private area? I don't know if this is correct, just tryingto remember what it said.

Is there a wildlife sanctuary anywhere near you? You might need some help with this baby :).

What are you doing with it now? (like where are you keeping it ect.?)

i have him in a cardboard box which is large andhe has rabbit treats and water and i have fed him 2 eyedroppers of milkcondensed and he drank it readily
i stimulated him with cold water but will try warm latr

If you can't stimulate him to help him go to thebathroom, you'll need to take this baby to a professional.Either a vet or a qualified wildlife rehabilitator. Thiscould be serious.

i am just hoping its poop is small and pea being absorbed
if it dies though i have decided i will buy another from a breeder or pet store cuz now i like em so much

i am not giving it away
i am so sorry but i think and hope it will be ok
if it gets really sick i will take it to a friend of mine who is a wildlife person
but i think it will be fine
please dont tell me to take it back or anything like that
i just want to take care of it

From experience in our shelter, where now andthen young wild rabbits are being brought in, and as other peoplealready informed you, it is very very hard to rescue (keep-alive) ayoung wild rabbit. If you want to give it a chance please please takeit to a wildlife rehabilitator. It needs special milk and care and theyhave the experience.

I understand you want to take care of it, but a wild bunny is differentthan a domestic one. If at all it would survive it is hardly to keep asa housepet, most wild rabbits stay wild rabbits and can't be keptinside. They need a huge area to live in (outside!). Please reconsiderand think about the wellbeing of this young wild bunny.

It is also difficult to raise a baby bunny byhand like that. Even experienced breeders have troublekeeping orphaned babies alive. I know you mean well, but itwould be best to find someone who knows how to take care of this baby,and then go to a shelter and adopt a bunny in need there.

i am not doing that
this is oklahoma not new york
if it dies i will be sad but will get a domestic one
people around here get rabbits and racoons all the time and they livefor years and years sometimes longer than domesticated ones
the longest ever living house rabbit was wild and was brought up to a familys house by a dog half dead
so dont tell me that
i came here for advice about how to care for it with hopes that this would not happen

Cotton balls work pretty well for stimulating ababy to go potty. When a mother is licking a baby, it's notjust to clean it, but to stimulate it to go. I've done this alot of times ... tiny baby kittens only a couple days old that I'veraised and who are now adults running around here driving me the restof the way nuts. The pee does not absorbinto the body. It, just like the poop, needs to comeout. Take a cottonball, my first choice, or a piece of SOFT paper toweling, or a softrag, and wet it with warm water and gently, but firmly rub thegenital area. This will hopefully get thebunny to pee and poop.

I can certainly understand that it is not always easy to find a rehabperson when you live in a very rural area. This bunny maylive if you can get it to pee and poop. It won't stand eventhat chance with the cat outside. I'vealways used evaporated milk, so I can't say what kind of results youwill get with the condensed. Have you got hay ...dried grass ... or even straw that it will eat? Don't give itlettuce, and I would stay away from much of anything real wet for food,like your carrots, till you see if it is going to pee andpoop. I would continue with the milk. Is itdrinking any of the water out of thedish? If not, you could give it somewater with your dropper.

The survival rate of wild bunnies in a domestic situationmaynot be all that great, but it's even worse out in thewild.Thank you for trying tohelp a little critter.

Finally someone who understands me! Thank you!
Also i typoed i think i do have evaporated milk and not condensed!

You can also try goat milk or kitten formula.Are you sure where you live it's not illegal to keep a wild animal?Someplaces it is, and you can get fined for it. I know your doing thebest for the rabbit, but I'd strongly consider just going to yourwildlife friend and asking for advice and for your friend to jsut checkon it. Babies can go through a ton of health problems. You have to keepthe option of letting this bunny be cared for by someone knowledgableabout wildlife, I'm not saying you have to, I'm just saying that youhave to keep this option fully open.

You could also try putting a towel in the dryer and letting it heat upthen let it cool down a bit and put it on the towel once it's warm. Howlong have you had it?

I would immediatley feeding him any commercial rabbitfood or treats or vegetables. This can upset the intestinal flora (soI've read).If his eyes are open, he doesn't need much milk, if any. Doyou have a pen or something where you can let him graze on grassoutside to get his digestion good and maybe prevent diahreah?

Maybe put a few towels in the box?

Did you read fully the second chance website? Good information

I would strongly suggest wearing gloves or washing your hands after handling the baby as it could have diseases.

well theres no way i am wearing gloves now cuz i already handled it
and no way am i givin it away

You don't have to wear gloves. Just wash your hands well after you hold/touch the little guy.
I raise orphan squirrels, and that's what I do When I have them. If youchoose to formula-feed, you can use KMR (kitten milk replacer) orEsbilac (same thing, just for puppies), in a pinch.

where in oklahoma are you at?

im at stillwater, i seen some critters that i wanted to take in andcare for, but im glad i didn't .... like armdillo, i saw one that wassick, i wanted to take care of it, but the next day i saw it dead, itwas gross...

i found a baby blue jay years ago , i tried to take care of it, itlived for three days, it eat pretty good, i read the raising baby birdsbook, i was doing pretty good, but i made mistake... it had food allover it, so i used warm cloth to try clean it off, but i didn't see int he book that one shouldn't do that, i missed that part, so the babydied, a bummer.. but that is life

you could try care for the baby rabbit, if it lives , it lives, if it dies , it dies

there are rabbit santuary here in oklahoma, there is one in blanchard, oklahoma

i wanted to adopt from there but the problem is that i don't have transportation...

Latest posts

Back