Horrible situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that the shelter received my letter this afternoon. A shelter represtentative left a VM. I wish I had heard the phone ring. I was laying down because I wasn't feeling well. I will call tomorrow.

They are responding............

Most shelter likes to have a decent image and I'm sure that this kind of thing is not good for them. They depend upon donations.
If they do not respond to you in an appropriate manner why don't you tell them that you are going to go to your local newspaper or write a leter to the editor.
I'm really interested in what is going to happen..

The public has a negative response to euthanasia anyway but this story is really terrible.
You are really doing a good job with this.

pla725 wrote:
It seems that the shelter received my letter this afternoon. A shelter represtentative left a VM. I wish I had heard the phone ring. I was laying down because I wasn't feeling well. I will call tomorrow.

Hey Paula,

Have you heard any more from these people?

I spoke to someone in the Animal Control department. Archie was there in the shelter for about two weeks. They were considering euthanizingher anyway due to it's temperment. They held off because she had babies. When the vet tech saw the babies were getting stuck in the gratethe decision was toeuthanize. They felt like the were not set up for this situation.

I still feel like they blamed me for not communicating directly with them. I was communicating with someone from adoptions but they didn't notify me until Friday afternoon. I didn't see the email until Friday night. So they didn't get my response until it was too late. I didn't know I was suppose to communicate with Animal Control as well.

They say they have experience dealing with rabbits. I really doubt that.

I still feel bad. Why should I still feel guilty for this? I really feel like they made this out to be all my fault.

This doesn't sound honest.

They are spinning the story to place the blame on you. They are being manipulative.

When people do that it"s difficult having a response.
I have no idea why animal control was dealing with this unless no one else wanted to.
Don't feel guilty..they are trying to make you feel that way.

I wonder if there is anything else that we can do to help with this?:ponder:

angieluv wrote:
This doesn't sound honest.

They are spinning the story to place the blame on you. They are being manipulative.

I certainly agree...i think they are just trying to get out of it themselves.

Paula just don't feel guilty..even though i know it's easier said than done but at least you tried to do something about it.....it's not your fault at all....it's theirs!!

Thanks. I know it was not my fault. I'm not feeling well today and I had to also deal with annoyingcredit card company on top of it. I'm not letting this go but right now I'm not sure other recourse I have at this point.

It seems that people often try to lay blame at others' feet when they are the ones that should take responsibility. You are NOT to blame...you were trying to be part of the solution to their problem (it seems like they looked at Archie and her babies as a problem). What nerve they have trying to turn it around to make you the guilty party...Please know that you were the one who tried to help. Your hands were tied, and you weren't given a proper chance to help.

The ACO stated they were originally going to euthanize her but decided to give her a chance. They stated they tried to work with Archie. They gave her two weeks. I even said she was her behavior was probably due to hormones. If they really felt like they couldn't deal with her than why did they give her a chance?
She went on about they have doing this for 18 years and they know what they are doing. She went on about how they aren't set up for rabbits. They use cat cages. She went on about if they knew a rescue was coming in they would have not done anything. I have some thoughts about where to pursue this.

pla725 wrote:
She went on about they have doing this for 18 years and they know what they are doing. She went on about how they aren't set up for rabbits. They use cat cages. She went on about if they knew a rescue was coming in they would have not done anything. I have some thoughts about where to pursue this.
Yeah, well, if it was dogs and cats they have been rescuing for 18 years that doesn't mean they know squat about rabbits. And if they aren't "set up" for them, then they shouldn't be taking them, they should find another rescue to work with that is "set up" for rabbits. I think you're doing great, follow this as far as it can go. Mabye next time they will think before they kill an entire family.

For what it is worth I'm sending a letter to the Gloucester County Health Department. They oversee the shelter along with the Board of Chosen Freeholders. I already sent a letter to the Freeholder charged with overseeing the Dept. of Health. I don't think there is much more I can do other than go to the state level.

Even if they do not carry out any disciplinary, action against the vet tech or shelter manager, the Dept. of Health may have the shelter change some of its policies and procedures.

I really hope something positive can come from this terrible situation

Paula,

Here is a plaque Ibrought homefor Archie and her family's memorial:

Photos840.jpg

And the memorial stake you chose has arrived as well. I couldn't have chosen one more perfect. It's truely beautiful and I can't wait to get everything situated.

Photos841.jpg

Wow, that truly is horrible.
I don't understand how anybody could do that, especially a "vet-tech"...Isn't there job to save animals!? How stupid and selfish can a person be?! The mama was obviously trying to protect her babies!
How could she just sit there and euthenize those poor innocent babies, and the mother who loved them so much she was only trying to protect them :(

I am so sorry, wow, this really makes me upset.
How would she like it if a stranger came and tried to take/move her children! I would bite her too!

angieluv wrote:
I agree the plaque and the stake are beautiful....
Yes..i also agree....what a nice and thoughtful thing to do Leaf

Latest posts

Back