Horrible situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the HECK?! She's a new mama and she nipped someone...... I wish she'd taken the witch's finger! :X

I'm so sorry. I know how heart broken you are. I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I heard there was a group of 6 rabbits dumped at the shelter. The staff there kept them in a tiny, cramped cage. I called and said I would pick them up right away, but was told I hate to wait until there holding period was up. I showed up the day they were supposed to be available only to be told they were euthanized because they were fighting.

I sort of have an idea what I'm going to write. I will post a draft here when I am done. Right now I just can't bring myself to write it. Actually I'm still upset and crying. This incident really just brought alot of emotions to ahead. It is draining on me.

Here is the letter. I haven't finished it but this is the bulk of it. I left out all the emotional stuff.

I am writing to you regarding my concerns about a member of your staff. I am a volunteer with a rabbit rescue. I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter. I emailed the staff person stating I would be coming on Saturday June 28[suP]th[/suP]. Please see attached correspondence. I intended at that time to only take Licorice the adult male rabbit. The rescue I volunteer for was going to put out a request for foster home for Archie and her babies. I did not feel it was best to disturb a nursing mother and her newborn kits until the kits were a little older. I intended to advise the staff as to care for them until we could find suitable foster space.

When I arrived at the shelter I was informed that the Archie and her kits were euthanized that morning. The reason being that Archie bit the vet tech and she felt that she ill-equipped to deal with them and euthanized them. She claimed that she was not notified that a rescue was coming or she would have a placed hold on them and not euthanized them.

Here are my concerns:

• Did this person (will input the name when I send the letter) make the decision unilaterally or did follow proper procedure? That is consult with the executive director or other appropriate authority figure before deciding to euthanize Archie and her kits? Would she have done this procedure on a nursing mother dog or cat?

• Staff is unprepared and untrained to care for rabbits let alone a nursing mother and newborn kits.

• Poor communication between various staff regarding rescues coming to pull animals.

• The adoption staff needs updated information regarding animal rescues.

The letter sounds good. You did a great job of eliminating the emotional response to the situation. Make sure that you include potential solutions to the problems you present. You could offer literature and/or training about taking care of rabbits. You could offer to give them updated rescue information on a quarterly basis, etc.

I was horrified when I read the story you presented here, and I'm glad you mentioned the part about whether they would do the same thing for a nursing cat or dog, who very likely would nip at an employee if they felt their young were threatened. All animals are out of their element when they are at a shelter. Heck, when I was giving birth, I might have been tempted to nip at a nurse who I thought was doing something wrong!

I think going to them first is a good way to go. If you encounter resistance, make sure you sigh loudly and mumble (clearly) that you were hoping not to have to go to the news on this issue.

Good luck! Can't wait to see what happens next.

Minda

Revised letter.

I am requesting an investigation to be done into an incident that occurred on June 28, 2008. I am a volunteer with a rabbit rescue. I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter. I emailed the staff person stating I would be coming on Saturday June 28[suP]th[/suP]. Please see attached correspondence. I intended at that time to only take Licorice the adult male rabbit. The rescue I volunteer for was going to put out a request for foster home for Archie and her babies. I did not feel it was best to disturb a nursing mother and her newborn kits until the kits were a little older. I intended to advise the staff as to care for them until we could find suitable foster space.

When I arrived at the shelter I was informed that the Archie and her kits were euthanized that morning. The reason for the euthanization was that the vet tech claimed that Archie bit her while moving the babies. She stated that that she was ill-equipped to deal with them and euthanized them. She claimed that she was not notified that a rescue was coming or she would have placed a hold on them and not euthanized them.

Here are my concerns:

• Did this person (will input the name when I send the letter) make the decision unilaterally or did follow proper procedure? That is consult with the executive director or other appropriate authority figure before deciding to euthanize Archie and her kits? Would she have done this procedure on a nursing mother dog or cat?

• Staff is unprepared and untrained to care for rabbits let alone a nursing mother and newborn kits.

• Poor communication between various staff regarding rescues coming to pull animals.

Here are some solutions:

• The House Rabbit Society offers an information package for shelters in the care and housing of rabbits. I’m sure my rescue would be available for hands on training and consulting on as needed basis.

• The shelter should have a veterinarian on available on consultation for behavioral and medical needs. A list of rabbit savvy veterinarians can be made available on request.

• Resources for rescues available on the internet. Petfinder and Craigslist are two such resource.

There were obvious gaps in procedure and communication. No other animal should suffer the same fate.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Paula*

(edited to remove last name)

I can't really give too much of an opinion on the vet tech's decision since it sounds like not everything is known yet (as per your questions in the letter you have written). I did though, want to express my sadness over the loss of a nursing mom and her babies. These stories are heartbreaking, to say the least.

Also wanted to add that one of the reasons I quit volunteering at the HC here several years ago was I could no longer take the administrative decisions that were handed out on many of the animals. Clean sweeps of the kennels used to be done upon one case of Parvo...all dogs kept in the same area were euthanized immediately, and any showing any signs of loose stool - for several weeks afterward - were also euthanized, despite the fact that there can be many causes of loose stool, including stressful situations. If an animal showed any sign of 'aggression' it was immediately put down. One case in particular was a beautiful older dog...he absolutely adored people and was a true sweetheart, but he did not get along with other dogs well. He'd been at the shelter for several weeks when one day two of the younger dogwalkers (volunteers) who were walking dogs separately (this dog and another) made the mistake of allowing the two dogs come too close together. One growled, and the other - this dog - snapped back. One of the dogwalkers, seeing a the signs of a fight starting, put her hand between the two...and at the same moment that the two dogs lunged toward one another. She was accidentally bitten. That was this beautiful little guy's death sentence...they brought him inside and euthanized him that afternoon.

It just tears at me when a healthy, thriving animal loses its life over such a thing. Many does - even relatively docile ones - will often protect their litter aggressively, taking hand movement as suspected threat to their babies. If this was the case, it's a tragic shame if this little girl was not assessed properly, and assumption was made that she was too aggressive.

My heart goes out to them all. :bigtears:

OK, sorry about this, but it's the English Teacher in me. :) I added in some words in blue and the red could be eliminated. I hope you don't mind, but I know you want to submit the best possible letter. :)

Minda

I am requesting an investigation to be done into an incident that occurred on June 28, 2008. I am a volunteer with a rabbit rescue. I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter. I emailed the staff person stating I would be coming on Saturday June 28[suP]th[/suP]. Please see attached correspondence. I intended at that time to only take Licorice the adult male rabbit. The rescue I volunteer for was going to put out a request for a foster home for Archie and her babies. I did not feel it was best to disturb a nursing mother and her newborn kits until the kits were a little older. I intended to advise the staff as to how to care for them until we could find suitable foster space.

When I arrived at the shelter I was informed that the Archie and her kits were euthanized that morning. The reason for the euthanization was that the vet tech claimed that Archie bit her while moving the babies. She stated that that she was ill-equipped to deal with them and euthanized them. She claimed that she was not notified that a rescue was coming or she would have placed a hold on them and not euthanized them.

Here are my concerns:

• Did this person (will input the name when I send the letter) make the decision unilaterally or did she follow proper procedure; that is, consult with the executive director or other appropriate authority figure before deciding to euthanize Archie and her kits? Would she have done this procedure on a nursing mother dog or cat?

Here are some solutions:

• The House Rabbit Society offers an information package for shelters in the care and housing of rabbits. I’m sure my rescue would be available for hands on training and consulting on an as needed basis.

• The shelter should have a veterinarian on available on consultation for behavioral and medical needs. A list of rabbit savvy veterinarians can be made available from the rabbit rescue (or whoever this would be obtained from) on request.

• Resources for rescues are available on the internet. Petfinder and Craigslist are twosuch resources.

There were obvious gaps in procedure and communication. No other animal should suffer the same fate.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

LadyBug wrote:
you don't just kill something because it makes you mad!
Sotrue LadyBug!I would have run out of room for all the body's long ago!;)

Paula, you have written a great letter,I hope the shelter director takes action,investigates and does not just take the vet tech's story of the events. This vet tech should be disciplined,fired or both.

If I was unfamiliar with an animal species I would look for info on the web or call around to local vets asking for advice/help.

Archie should have gone for the jugular on that vet tech!:X

pla725 wrote:
...The so-called vet tech informed that she euthanized the mother and babies because momma rabbit bit her when she moved the babies. This absolutely made me ill. I was nearly in tears....I know shelters are not equipped to deal with mother rabbits and litters but this was not the way to deal with this.

...I'm still upset. I thinking about reporting this situation. I have to figure out who to contact.

It was lack of communication between the person I was dealing with and this person. Unforunately the rabbits paid for it.
WOW. I'm so in shock, I need a moment to digest this news....

I don't blame you one iota for being hurt/angry and for letting the "so-called" vet tech. know your feelings. That woman must have a few screws loose to do something like that. Even if ignorance led her to believe that the mother is aggressive, she had zero grounds for euthanizing the babies. (To me, common sense would dictate that one find a more knowledgeable person to help deal with an unfamiliar species--rather than just euthanizing innocent animals to "solve" what is mistakenly deemed as a problem.)

I think that this person should not be working as a vet tech. and, at the very least, should be reported and severely reprimanded by her superior(s). :X

This is the lastest version of my letter. I will add names of the individuals involved later.

My name is Paula *. I am a volunteer with For Bunny Sake Rabbit Rescue. We are dedicated to rescuing, fostering and placing rabbits in their forever homes. We also focus on educating the public about rabbits and how to properly care for these wonderful companion animals.

I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter. I emailed the staff person stating I would be coming on Saturday June 28[suP]th[/suP]. Please see attached correspondence. I intended at that time to only take Licorice the adult male rabbit. The rescue I volunteer for was going to put out a request for a foster home for Archie and her babies. I did not feel it was best to disturb a nursing mother and her newborn kits until the kits were a little older. I intended to advise the staff as to how to care for them until we could find suitable foster space.

When I arrived at the shelter I was informed that Archie and her kits were euthanized that morning. The reason for the euthanization was that the vet tech claimed that Archie bit her while she was moving the babies. She stated that she was ill-equipped to deal with them and euthanized them. She claimed that she was not notified that a rescue was coming or she would have placed a hold on them and not euthanized them.

I am requesting an investigation to be done into an incident occurred on June 28, 2008.

Here are my concerns:

• Did this person make the decision unilaterally or did she follow proper procedure; that is, consult with the executive director or other appropriate authority figure before deciding to euthanize Archie and her kits? Would she have done this procedure on a nursing mother dog or cat?

Here are some solutions:

• The House Rabbit Society offers an information package for shelters in the care and housing of rabbits. I’m sure my rescue would be available for hands on training and consulting on an as needed basis.

• The shelter should have a veterinarian available on consultation for behavioral and medical needs. A list of rabbit savvy veterinarians can be made available from the rabbit rescue on request.

• Resources for rescues are available on the internet. Petfinder and Craigslist are twosuch resources.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Paula*

Are you going to ask them to meet with you about this? Ending the letter with a call to action like sitting down with you or requesting verification that these problems will be remedied might be something you want to do. Otherwise they may read it and take it into thought, but not do something about it immediately or even in the near future. I think you're a wonderful person for taking this on, by the way!

Minda

Is their any way to add that the vet tech did not treat you in a professional manner?
I think the letter is very impressive.
I can't wait to hear what happens although the mom and baby are stillgone. :(

If it was my shelter here in La Crosse the vet tech would getin trouble. Even if she had been instructed to euthanize the rabbits she would be reprimanded for lacking tact when dealing with a rescue.
I hope that she gets in a lot of trouble for what she did!

I may add this to the end. I'll include my phone number in the final draft.

I would like to meet with you in person or receive phone call to discuss my concerns and how this matter can be resolved in the best interest of all those involved. If that is not possible, I would like to know to how this matter was resolved.

How is the version?

My name is Paula *. I am a volunteer with For Bunny Sake Rabbit Rescue. We are dedicated to rescuing, fostering and placing rabbits in their forever homes. We also focus on educating the public about rabbits and how to properly care for these companion animals.

I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter. I emailed the staff person stating I would be coming on Saturday June 28[suP]th[/suP]. Please see attached correspondence. I intended at that time to only take Licorice the adult male rabbit. The rescue I volunteer for was going to put out a request for a foster home for Archie and her babies. Although it is best not to disturb a mom and nursing kits the rescue was making attempts to find foster care in the off chance they had to leave the shelter. However, if they would be able to stay for a few weeks, I had intended to instruct staff on how to properly care for them.

When I arrived at the shelter I was informed that Archie and her kits were euthanized that morning. The reason for the euthanization was that the vet tech claimed that Archie bit her while she was moving the babies. She stated that she was ill-equipped to deal with them and euthanized them. She claimed that she was not notified that a rescue was coming or she would have placed a hold on them and not euthanized them.

I respectfully request an investigation to be conducted regarding this incident.

Here are my concerns:

• Based on my conversation with her in the afternoon of the 28th,and the guidelines and procedures for euthanasia at the shelter, I believe that she did not follow proper procedure. Would she, and has she, failed to follow the State of New Jersey euthanasia guidelines with other animals?

• Poor communication between various staff members regarding rescues coming to pull animals.

• Lack of professionalism in dealing with the public.

In my opinion there were obvious gaps in procedure and communication. No other animal should suffer the same fate.

Here are some solutions:

• The shelter should have a qualified rabbit veterinarian available on consultation for behavioral and medical needs. A list of rabbit savvy veterinarians can be made available from the rabbit rescue on request.

I would like to meet with you in person or receive phone call to discuss my concerns and how this matter can be resolved in the best interest of all those involved. If that is not possible, I would like to know the outcome of the investigation.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Paula*

Latest posts

Back