Horrible situation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest revision:

My name is Paula *. I am a volunteer with For Bunny Sake Rabbit Rescue. We are dedicated to rescuing, fostering and placing rabbits in their forever homes. We also focus on educating the public about rabbits and how to properly care for these companion animals.

I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter. I emailed the staff person stating I would be coming on Saturday June 28[suP]th[/suP]. Please see attached correspondence. I intended at that time to only take Licorice the adult male rabbit. The rescue I volunteer for was going to put out a request for a foster home for Archie and her babies. Although it is best not to disturb a mom and nursing kits the rescue was making attempts to find foster care in the off chance they had to leave the shelter. However, if they would be able to stay for a few weeks, I had intended to instruct staff on how to properly care for them.

When I arrived at the shelter I was informed that Archie and her kits were euthanized that morning. The reason for the euthanization was that the vet tech claimed that Archie bit her while she was moving the babies. She stated that she was ill-equipped to deal with them and euthanized them. She claimed that she was not notified that a rescue was coming or she would have placed a hold on them and not euthanized them.

I respectfully request an investigation to be conducted regarding this incident.

Here are my concerns:

• Based on my conversation with her in the afternoon of the 28th,and the guidelines and procedures for euthanasia at the shelter, I believe that she did not follow proper procedure. Would she, and has she, failed to follow the State of New Jersey euthanasia guidelines with other animals?

• Staff is unprepared and untrained to care for rabbits let alone a nursing mother and newborn kits. Rabbits are the third most surrendered pet in shelters.

• Poor communication between various staff members regarding rescues coming to pull animals.

• The adoption staff needs updated information regarding animal rescues.

• Lack of professionalism in dealing with the public.

The staff at the shelter has a difficult job. They try to do their best for the animals with the limited resources they have.

In my opinion there were obvious gaps in procedure and communication. No other animal should suffer the same fate.

Here are some solutions:

• The House Rabbit Society offers an information package for shelters in the care and housing of rabbits. I’m sure my rescue would be available for hands on training and consulting on an as needed basis.

• The shelter should have a qualified rabbit veterinarian available on consultation for behavioral and medical needs. A list of rabbit savvy veterinarians can be made available from the rabbit rescue on request.

• Resources for rescues are available on the internet. Petfinder and Craigslist are twosuch resources.

I would like to meet with you in person or receive a phone call to discuss my concerns and how this matter can be resolved in the best interest of all those involved. If that is not possible, I would like to know the outcome of the investigation.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Paula*

(edited to remove last name)

That sound's really good Paula...i'm so glad that you are bringing this matter to their attention.....it just wasn't right what she did with that bunny and her babies...and i just would not let her get away with what she did.

Cheryl

Let this be a lesson to all of us.

I think this will be the final draft. I will add the names and other relevant information. I will sendthe lettercertified mail with return receipt. That way I know that someone received it.

Thanks to who ever edited out my last name.

Great additions! I like how you validated the jobs that they are all doing there. :)

Only one suggestion: you might want to add to your letter the date that you received the initial email from them, and the name of the shelter (at the start of the second paragraph, instead of "I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits in the shelter" you might write: "On XX XXX XXXX I received an email from one of the staff regarding two rabbits at the XXXXXX shelter." (insert date and name where the X's are)

Love your letter...:hug:

Paula, Im so sorry to hear about all this. It just makes you sick to think about how a poor mama who was so scared for herself and her babies was put down without any effort to get her into a better situation.

Your last draft looks really good; I really hope you get some response from this. If anything, I wish more shelters were educated about rabbits. Many lives would be saved if people knew more about them and that there are rescues who are better equipped to deal with them.

I'm attaching a copy of the email correspondence as well as picture of Archie to my letter. They need to see her - put a face to the issue so to speak. I'm also sending some information from the HRS. I'm sending that information only to the Director fo the Shelter. The Freeholder who oversees the shelter will receive my letter, a copy of Archie's picture and the email correspondence.

I will revise the letter to add the names of all those involved.

Thanks for all the help and for listening. I'm dealing with this much better tonight than I was earlier. This really helps.

That is just so ignorant! I can't believe someone would do that just because the rabbit bit them! It is not right or fair! How could someone be so hearless?

BSAR wrote:
That is just so ignorant! I can't believe someone would do that just because the rabbit bit them! It is not right or fair! How could someone be so hearless [sic]?
I'd like to add a question to yours: How can someonegethired as a vet tech. when she's clearlyunable tograsp the fundamentals of a mother animal protecting her babies? :?

Just because she may havemore experience with "common pet species" (cats/dogs) doesn't mean that logic need go out the window whendealing withrabbits. Heck, when I wasa child, I graspedthe fact that a mother (of mostany species) will protecther young, especially if she feels that their safety is threatened.

This is unbelievable. If I were a vet tech, I would NEVER euthanize a rabbit just because s/he bit me. I would of told the rabbit No and settled the situation differently. I agree with Jenk, how could that person become a Vet Tech, when it's quite clear they just want animals "out of their hair" that are potential problems?

Why eveneuthanize the kits? What did they do? Nothing....And I'm sure Archie was protecting her babies - especially if shedislikes the Vet. Tech or doesn't know her.

Many rabbits areaggressive, I speak for myself with threedoes that have their moments....but I would never harm them. If that vet tech truely loves animals, she would've found a different way to solve that situation.

I am so heartbroken.

May Archie and her babies :rip:.

Binky Free at :rainbow:Bridge.

Emily

I will be looking forward to seeing what they have to say about it.

Part of the issue was that the vet tech stated that she had no knowledge about how to care forrabbits. She was annoyed so the solution to her was toeuthanize the problem. That was the part that really bothered me. I came very close to losing it at that point. It just become very uncomfortable at that moment. There were four other shelter staff including an armed ACO in the room. I had refocus my attention to Licorice nka Jordy and the four other young rabbits that were still there.

I made the point about "aggressive" rabbits. I even pointed to the scars on my hands. I told them my last foster Abner was very protective of his space. That didn't stop him from being adopted. He is now with a wonderful young woman who adores him.

Well, I will let everyone know what happens.

I agree. That's the part that really got to me too. "Bite me and I'll KILL you!" What kind of person does that??? Makes me think of that man dismissed from the military for throwing a puppy over a cliff. What did the puppy ever do to him? What did those kits ever do to her to deprive them of a mother and their LIVES??? If he was dismissed from the armed forces, she should certainly be dismissed from her position.

pla725 wrote:
Thanks to who ever edited out my last name.

I was in a rush last night to read through your posts before heading to work and I noticed your last name... I edited it out, hoping to err on the safe side but I didn't have a chance to PM you.

You are doing an excellent job!

Paula, you are so awesome..... I can't imagine how irate you must have been at that ***** (expletives deleted) vet tech. Your letter sounds great, and I really appreciate how deeply you care for those who cannot speak for themselves. I can't seem to stop crying about poor Archie and her babies. Thanks for being willing to follow up on this so that others won't meet with the same circumstances. Take care.

Elf Mommy wrote:
I agree. That's the part that really got to me too. "Bite me and I'll KILL you!" What kind of person does that??? Makes me think of that man dismissed from the military for throwing a puppy over a cliff.

BTW, Elf Mommy, I believe the incident with the soldier and the puppy was proved to be a fake.

Paula, I am so glad you are reporting this. I don't think that stupid **** girl ought to be allowed to work in a situation where she is able to euthanize anyone or anything. Euthanizing any animal is a last resort only!!How could she have been so stupid as to not know a new mother will bite?! I think you're right, it was purely revenge on her part to put them to sleep. It's like, "Oh, so you're going to bite me because of your babies? Now see what I'm going to do to them becuase you bit me!" I hope she is fired outright.

Latest posts

Back