A cat is hunting for my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start thinking that the cat is just hanging out there watching the rabbits.
yesterday I was gone for the whole day, my husband stayed home (doing nothing). When I came back, backyard was all dark (he didn't turn the light on), the first thing I saw when I got there were cat's eyes shining in the light of my flashlight - right by the fence of my yard. Going around the house I found two of my rabbits sitting in the front yard where we have rabbit guard fence - which means cat can really easily to get over it if wanted. I chased cat away and saw that we had a wild rabbit sitting outside of my fence. The cat didn't even catch that wild rabbit!
I keep asking neighbors, nobody admits to be the cat's owner.
A good thing is that my nearest neighbor on the side where cat is seen set up sprinklers and watering the area that cat trespasses. I just wish he did it after dark :)

I was triumphing too early. Right after I typed my previous post, I went out to get rabbits inside the garage for a night. They were sitting in the back yard, like they were having a meeting. The gates to the front were not blocked my the wood so they could easily go to the front yard (the gates stay closed but buns can climb under the gates if there is no wood that blocks the gap). What I saw, shocked me - the cat was sitting INSIDE our fenced front yard. Again, it didn't do anything but it got way too close. I immediately sprayed water.
I guess tomorrow I will try to get a trap in humane society. What kind of food should I put inside the trap? Should I borrow some dry cat food from my friends? Or canned tuna work better?

what works as bait can vary depending on the cat (ie certain cats may not like certain baits). you want to use something good-smelling, like canned cat food or tuna rather than dry food.

if the trap doesn't work and changing the bait doesn't work, the cat may be trap-savvy. in this case, you'll want to open BOTH end-doors to the trap, leaving it open all the way through so the cat can't get trapped (propping open the door that normally snaps shut when the cat steps on the trigger plate rather than setting it to where it can be tripped), and bait it with a bit of food in the middle. do this every night for a few nights until he's comfortable going in, then close the back door (ie setting it to actually be a trap) and see if he'll still go in and get caught.

also, if you've been feeding the cat, don't feed him for 1-2 days before you try to trap him... and if you know anyone else who might be feeding him, ask them if they could refrain from doing so for a couple days. if he's used to being fed, the feedings can be skipped for up to three days to help increase the odds of successfully trapping him.

if you have any more questions, feel free to ask me - I recently took a class for my city's TNR (trap-neuter-return) program for managing feral cats, so I learned all about how to safely trap a cat.

Thank you!
I just got a trap in humane society. $40 deposit and it's mine for 30 days. Got canned food.
I asked them if I should go from house to house with the trapped cat and ask whose cat it is. They said NO - you should bring it here if you trap it. Do you agree with this? If I understood right, I can be hold responsible if somebody claims I damaged the cat or anything like this.
They told not to put food in the bowl but rather put it straight on the ground with trap being put right over it. Do you agree with this as well?

Also I signed under "not to set a trap between 10 pm and 7 am".... so generous I need to be to the cat LOL

Trapping this cat won't keep other cats & other animals from going after your rabbit, plus you could start a feud between yourself & the cat's owner. If the cat were injured, you could face a lawsuit. Your rabbits will be much safer inside & won't have to deal with the cold, snow & ice. If they MUST say outside, they should be in an enclosed run.

Just do what they said. I can't see how you could be held responsible as long as the cat is trespassing on your property and you trap it on your property. Besides, it is stalking your rabbits! Good luck, hope it works out!

LakeCondo wrote:
If the cat were injured, you could face a lawsuit.

The cat is on this persons property, as long as they do not intentionally injure it I don't see how they can be charged. Just make sure you don't do anything that is considered cruel.

JBun wrote:
Just do what they said. I can't see how you could be held responsible as long as the cat is trespassing on your property and you trap it on your property. Besides, it is stalking your rabbits! Good luck, hope it works out!
Still, I had to sign the paper that I agree not to set the trap from 10pm to 7am. Hope, they won't send the police car to check this as I still have it out:) Will remove it before I go to sleep (I don't want trap to get stolen)
The cat hasn't showed up today. Does anyone know why they suggested to put food on the ground, not in the bowl? The problem is that outside the smell is pretty diluted from the fresh breeze. I am not sure if it smells enough to attract the cat.
WOULD CANNED TUNA BE BETTER THAN CANNED CAT FOOD? Do I need one with oil of water?
I asked more people today and some said that they had been bothered by this cat as well.
Do you know what I discovered? My child had in her room on the wall the craft of black cat made out of paper plate - very realistic. She made it two years ago, and it still has been hanging on the wall! I cut it into pieces today.

LakeCondo wrote:
Trapping this cat won't keep other cats & other animals from going after your rabbit, plus you could start a feud between yourself & the cat's owner. If the cat were injured, you could face a lawsuit. Your rabbits will be much safer inside & won't have to deal with the cold, snow & ice. If they MUST say outside, they should be in an enclosed run.
Please don't worry about the weather conditions and well being of the rabbits :) We were taking them indoors in summer when the heat was over 95F. I wish we had snow here but it is just dreams. They have access to garage (analog of barn:) all the time - I just keep the door open. They spend night in the garage (because of the cat, otherwise I know they would enjoy pretty warm weather we are having). The only thing - I noticed that they eat better at night when indoors, and much better when they are not all together (I have girls in garage and boys in the house for a night. Can't stand girls in the house - they would roam and thump all night long, while boys just sit in their favorite spots).
I let my rabbits play in the yard because I truly believe that they enjoy it. I never wanted to keep them in the cage all the time, no matter how spacious the cage (or run) is.
We have had them like this since March (when we got them). haven't lost any rabbit to predator. Never dealed with serious predators - they just don't seem to be here. I already mentioned in other topics that we are near the intersection of 2 main streets + we have some business places near by that have lights all the time + gas station that is noisy and never sleeps.
I minimize chances for cats or dogs to get the rabbits;

Do what the humane society says with regards to the trapping - they are giving you the right advice. You can trap overnight but you must be there to keep an eye on the trap at least every hour. If the cat won't go into this trap, you can build a drop trap relatively cheap. We cleared out a colony except for one big male that would not go in the trap - we caught him in 10 mins with the drop trap! And he is actually friends once you get him in...

The reason you put the food on the ground, under the trap, is so that when you lift the trap off the ground, the food stays on the ground. If the food/bowl is in the trap with the cat, the cat could get really messy or injured.

Canned tuna or cat food is fine. So are sardines. Get a water based, not an oil based. Basically you want something smelly.

Yes, you can still be charged for cruelty to an animal even if it doesn't belong to you, even if it's accidental (if there was negligence, of course). Usually this is in cases of willful cruelty.

If no one is owning up to owning the cat, he may be a stray. Can you tell his condition - is he skinny or dirty? If so, trap him and bring him to the humane society without a worry. It will be best for him.

Why did you remove the cardboard cat craft? It was not attracting the cat... He considers your yard part of his territory. I also think he may indeed not be hunting your rabbits because he wasn't gone after them yet. Cats hunt around the clock - if he wanted to, he could have by now. Not that I am saying to take the chance or anything. God I wish people would keep their cats indoors. However ---- there is something called the vacuum effect. When you remove a cat (typically a male, or a colony) from an area and rehome them (or euthanize them), you will find that new cats come into that same territory a relatively short time later because the territory has opened up.

I know you are sick of hearing this but I have to say that I think you are severely underestimating the danger you have put your rabbits in by leaving them in an uncovered back yard, unsupervised, for long amounts of time. Just google "coyotes in the city" and look at the pictures - coyotes trotting through the suburbs during the day. On busy streets at night. INSIDE stores and in the subway (RIDING the subway, on a seat, like a person). Look up "foxes in the city" and you will see the same thing. Raccoons we all know thrive alongside people - they are small and cute but fierce predators, and smart, able to open doors and reach through chicken wire to grab animals, and brave enough to kill relatively large prey. Overhead predators may also exist in your area and while probably unable to fly off with a large rabbit, could injure it or fly off with a smaller one. Plus stray dogs and cats which can jump into or dig into your yard and get at your rabbits.

I would hate to know that you lost a rabbit to something so preventable. You feel safe in the city - most people do - but you're still in the wild and there are still wild animals there. You just don't see them very much.

I know you say you want to let them out in the yard because you don't want them to be stuck a run, even if it's big. Your yard isn't the wild. It is nothing more than a large run, except it's unprotected. There are many ways you can keep your rabbits safe in a run while still allowing them ample space, and time outside when you are around to supervise.

You haven't even lived there a year yet. People who lose pets to predators do not always do so within the first year. It can happen years, even decades, after they have settled in. And no one expects it. And if a predator gets in your yard, especially a fox or raccoon, it will kill all of your rabbits if it has enough time to.

Of course, they are your rabbits and it is entirely up to you, entirely your choice. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your rabbits are safe just because you live at an intersection and you've only seen one predator in the eight months you've lived there. Your rabbits ARE at risk - it's fairly small but it's not tiny by any means (as in, I am not expecting it to happen tomorrow but I would not be shocked if it did).

PLEASE consider building an enclosed run for them for when you're not home... They will be safe and you know that they are even when you aren't around to see them.

I don't think that the cat is stray. It looks all right (from what I was able to see in the dark and from the distance). I have never seen it coming during the day so I figure out it is in the house during the day.
Guess what... since I got the trap and setting it up, the cat is not coming. Maybe the news spread in the area and owner just doesn't let it out? That would be great, I just wonder how much money I am going to waste buying cat food? :) You can't feed the same can twice, right? I am afraid that the food would attract other cats.
You are not quite right that when you lift the trap the food stays on the ground. Food sticks to the bars of the trap pretty well. I have hard times cleaning bars every day.
Last night I was so tired that I forgot to remove trap that was set to catch (I fell asleep on the sofa in all my clothes). Nobody was there in the morning.
I will see what we can do about enclosed run.

Last edited:
You can offer a spoonfull of whatever is in the can on a plate in the trap, and cover the rest and stick it in the fridge, It will be good for a few days so long as it stays covered and in the fridge.

We have a pesky cat in the neighbourhood, no idea who it belongs too as we see it all over the place. Its nice and fat and is wearing a collar so we know its not a random cat. I just let my dog out after it. The little **** sits around trying to catch the birds at our feeder in the front yard. in the mean time poops all over the place! So Callie gets to have a little fun and I get to scare off the annoying cat for the time being. Next step is a paintball gun....

I had a cat a long time ago. Every time when I opened a can, it would it the food happily, but when I was giving him leftovers from that can (that I stored in the fridge of course, I used to split the can into two parts) the cat wouldn't touch it. SO I thought it may be how they like it - fresh only

I've got 5 kittys here (INDOOR ONLY!) and they will all eat their canned food if its been in the can in the fridge for a few days (it never lasts that long but if we get the 13oz cans those last 3+ days and the cats dont care). Some cats dont like it if it gets a tinny taste to it, you can try removing it from the can and keep it in a little sandwich sized zip-loc bag does it doesn't aquire the cans taste while in the fridge.

I would definitely store the leftovers not in the metal can due to chemical reaction that occurs to the can since opened. Not good for anybody, including kittens.

Update.
We set up the trap every day but the cat is not showing up.. except for 1 day.
Last Saturday I was taking my child to the theater show in the evening, we were getting late and I didn't put up the trap. My husband was staying home but he said he didn't feel like messing up with the trap (well, he is another story)
Rabbits were in the yard with garage door opened for them. During the show I felt concerned and went to the hall to send him text message asking to check on bunnies.
We came home at about 10pm, I opened the door from the house to garage and the first thing I saw was fast movement of somebody dark to the outside. All my rabbits are white or light-brown so I knew it was the cat. I followed him into the back yard. Only one rabbit was sitting moveless in the backyard. The cat ran back and forth like crazy, he couldn't find his way out (the fence is proof everywhere). One time, running, he bumped into that rabbits and they ran together. Anyway, finally the cat pushed pieces of wood that are blocking the gap under the gate, went to the side yard and disappeared. I wish I would follow him to find out where he lives. No way he is a stray cat. But I needed to find the rabbits first.
Two of them were hiding in the garage, another was still sitting in the backyard. One rabbit was missing but we finally discovered her in the front (thorough where the cat escaped). She probably went there when the cat pushed the wood. Nobody was harmed, but some buns were scared. The one who got bumped by the cat was sitting under my bed for the next day.
Oh, the husband was found sleeping in the basement, he never checked messages on the phone.
Now I really want to catch the cat. Please don't tell me again how dangerous to have rabbits loose. I realize it and now watching them when they are out. I always was trying to keep an eye on them checking every 10-15 minutes.
I have a feeling that the cat would only come if it is absolutely quiet and dark like no humans are home (like on that Saturday). I am posting pictures to show the set up. Maybe someone can give me an advise.

the question - is it better the put trap all the way to the gate?
Can cat possibly get on the top of the trap and jump over the gate?
He can't climb chain link fence - I saw this

Back