A cat is hunting for my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of my rabbits are pretty large or average size. One is the neutered buck who became lazy. If I am sure that female can protect herself, the lazy male may not be quick enough.

Two others are 4 months old. They are getting close to the parents' size but not fully grown yet. Anyway, they are not little.
The cat is also a large cat unfortunately. I have a feeling it lives a few houses away and is let out at the dark only. I will keep asking people whose cat it is.

I don't trim their nails specifically for the reason of protection. They also like to dig.

A question - is it legal to charge the cat if it kills a rabbit? How can I prove that exactly this cat killed the rabbit?

We have had the rabbits since March and nothing ever happened. We even had the hutch on the front for a long time (during summer) which only has "rabbit guard" fence (28in tall)

ZoeStevens wrote:
- Borrow a humane live trap. Trap the cat near where the rabbits live.
What is it like and how to borrow one? you mean to go to humane society (or animal control ?) and ask for one?

ajohal wrote:
I had a problem with a neighbour's cat too. I read that one way to get rid is to chuck water on them cos they hate it. I felt that was a little cruel so what i did was, every time i saw it id aim the water at it but make sure i hit the spot right next to the cat and it would run off. It worked after a few times it stopped coming
The problem is that I'd like to come inside and do some things with my family. I have been monitoring with the flashlight for the cat for the last 3 days since 6pm. A bit tired of it. But I hope I got him scared. Was chasing him with the spray bottle of vinegar.
One time he climbed a tree. I came by. Could see him pretty well. I wish I could trap him then. But we were on somebody's front yard. I am lucky that people haven't called the police yet.

See if animal control has a humane trap you can use. Technically if the cat is trespassing on your property, you have every right to trap it on your property, and take it to animal control. That isn't the most desirable thing if it's a neighbors cat, but you may not have another choice. You could send out flyers to your neighbors and maybe post a few in the neighborhood, saying that this cat is trying to kill your rabbits and that you need to find it's owner. If you don't get a response, you don't really have another choice but to trap it so it doesn't get your rabbits.

The problem is that I'd like to come inside and do some things with my family. I have been monitoring with the flashlight for the cat for the last 3 days since 6pm. A bit tired of it. But I hope I got him scared. Was chasing him with the spray bottle of vinegar.
One time he climbed a tree. I came by. Could see him pretty well. I wish I could trap him then. But we were on somebody's front yard. I am lucky that people haven't called the police yet.
[/quote]

Is there somewhere enclosed the rabbits can live? If you have a garage could you think about parking your cars on your drive and putting the hutches in there?

That's what I did because I also had foxes after my rabbits, so I now have the rabbits in a garage which means I don't have to worry over night and can also get on with my day too!

I know other people have used sheds and things like that too!

Thumperina wrote:
A question - is it legal to charge the cat if it kills a rabbit? How can I prove that exactly this cat killed the rabbit?

We have had the rabbits since March and nothing ever happened. We even had the hutch on the front for a long time (during summer) which only has "rabbit guard" fence (28in tall)
Only if you can prove the cat is responsible. If you can prove it, you can absolutely legally pursue the owner for the value of the rabbit. If you are sure it was the cat but are unable to prove it, all you can do is talk to the neighbour and hope for the best.

I had my hens out for months before any of them got picked off :( It is quite possible that you could leave your buns out forever and no one ever eat one but no one expects to have their pets eaten in their back yard. Around here, fisher cats eat cats and small dogs. Until it happens, everyone says "nothing ever happened". I am not trying to be a smartarse with you or anything as you are obviously more familiar with your area than I am. But personally, I would invest rather than take a risk.

Thumperina wrote:
ZoeStevens wrote:
- Borrow a humane live trap. Trap the cat near where the rabbits live.
What is it like and how to borrow one? you mean to go to humane society (or animal control ?) and ask for one?
A humane trap is basically a long wire box. The cat walks in to get to the food at the back, steps on the trip plate, and the door closes behind the cat. Harmless. But you have to stick around obviously as the cat could get injured or die if left in the trap unattended for too long (exposure to the elements, other predators, people, etc etc). Check with your local cat rescues and humane society. We rent ours out for $80. The humane society here rents them out for $150. Which is refunded when the trap is returned. Also check your local classifieds, sometimes they come up for sale for cheap.

looks like this... cat goes in, goes all the way to the back, steps on the trip plate and the little bar by the door stops holding the door up, so it falls closed.

17685_221259_340000000.jpg

Yes I do let rabbits inside the garage - we don't park there. I have one male who is being hormonal recently (will be neutered on Monday due to places being closed for Thanksgiving) so I can't keep them all together. LAst night boys went to garage and girls - into the house. I was listening to a fight through the sleep and somebody was running fast in the house (rabbits I mean).
We also do get them into garage when it's too cold or windy.
But I don't want to keep them in garage or house all day long - they are used to be outdoors and we are having a warm nice weather

Personally, I would nip the problem in the bud and trap the cat, bring it to the shelter and let the owner deal with it. Even if the cat doesn't necessarily kill the rabbit, a simple scratch can result in a severe injury to the bun since cats have bacteria in their teeth and claws that can kill a rabbit.

But my rabbits are family, and to be honest I would resort to any measure to protect them. I would not wait for something to happen before acting, it would not be a matter of replacing the cost for the rabbit. It's the same way I treat my dog, my horses, my chinchilla and my rabbits. Nothing hurts them if I can help it.

In all honesty, if I came on a situation where a cat was stalking my rabbits like that one was, I probably would have turned the hose on it. Less harm done to the cat then it would have done to my buns. We had a situation once where a cat attacked my dog (Which was completely minding his own business, on leash, walking down a sidewalk) while we were out on a walk and have seen how nasty it can get. I'd be making sure that cat didn't come back. I wouldn't hurt it, but I'd not be gentle about chasing it away either.

But that's just personal opinion.

Right, I care less about cat's comfort. What is bothering me is that to do anything about the cat, I have to be outside watching for it in the dark. I have other things to do (for example, separating the rabbits and watching them not to fight is not an easy task).
The cat was seen by me yesterday on his way to my house but I chased it away (with vinegar) so it didn't come back close yesterday. Today we haven't seen it but it doesn't mean it won't be back. Good idea about the hose, thanks!
I asked people at whose front yard cat's seen most of the time - they said that cat wasn't their.

My husband said he would relocate the cat 10 miles away, but it's the same husband who sprayed ant killer INSIDE the area that bunnies had access to.
My problem is that rabbits keep being loose in the yard most part of the day. I know other owners do not probably keep rabbits loose. We working on the new hutch, so hopefully they will spend more time secured in the hutch when it's ready.

I don't know how to eliminate the cat without standing outside looking in the dark (the cat is black by the way and comes only when it's dark) -- we'll keep an eye on it.

I would just recommend bringing it in to animal control... Or if you can't find who it belongs to and it's friendly, maybe a no-kill shelter if you have any nearby? Have you had a chance to see if he is possibly friendly with people? It'd be nice to think he could find a good home rather then roaming around and starving :( It sounds pretty bold so it must be hungry.

You may have mentioned it's personality with people and I merely missed it...

I don't know if I would recommend feeding the cat. Usually that means more will come. . .

Others have suggested trapping and I think it's a good idea. Most rescues have traps on hand and maybe a vet?

Other suggestions could you set up a sprinkler? Sort of takes your place and creates noise. Another thing would be spray the cat with a hose instead of vinegar. This will be less work for you because a hose reaches farther than a spray bottle. Other than a sprinkler I can't think of anything else that you can put outside to take your place

I wouldn't worry about the cat's comfort UNLESS it's really cold out. If it's freezing, don't spray it with a hose. If it's not freezing, spray it all you want. It'll survive.

You don't have to stand there and watch the trap. You'll probably hear it close, and just keep an eye on it every hour or so.

I have been thinking more about this and I like the sprinkler suggestion. You can get a sprinkler with a motion sensor. You can also get some motion-control lights. Anyway, as I see it you options are as follows:

- Live-trap the cat. This alone might be enough because cats hate being trapped. Otherwise, you can bring the cat to its owner saying "your cat came after my rabbits so I trapped him, please keep him indoors, if I trap him again I will have to bring him to the shelter." Or go straight to bringing him to the shelter but know that if he is not young and friendly he may be euthanized which would be sad.
*IMO this is a band-aid solution because it only deals with this one cat. I guarantee you there are more predators around that you haven't seen yet (especially with winter coming).

- Observe the cat. Is he actually hunting your rabbits? It wouldn't surprise me if he was but he might just be hanging out. At home I have an angora rabbit, two small parrots and six cats. The only ones who get attacked are the cats, by the birds ;) That said, I had a hungry stray cat attack my rooster. The cat came away much more banged up than the rooster.
*Again this is just a bandaid

- Speak to the neighbour. Honestly, some people are just clueless. He/she might be mortified to find out what his cat has been up to.
*Again, only deals with this one animal

- Finish your hutch ASAP. Large rabbits in a fenced area in the suburbs are relatively safe during the day. If you can put them in a safe place during dawn, dusk and night, it should be fine.
*This one doesn't address daytime predators but I don't think that is too likely.

- Use deterrents - motion activated lights and sprinkles, spraying the perimeter (outside the fence) with a cayenne-based repellant (google cayenne raccoon repellent for more ideas).
*Repellant needs to be re-applied every few days but it REALLY works. I had racoons or foxes or something trying to dig under my chicken run. It's fort knox but I still didn't want them trying so I put repellant all around every 2 days for a week and they stopped coming. It hurts like hell but it's not permanently damaging. And it doesn't bother birds.
*This is probably your best, cheapest option combined with getting the hutch up ASAP.

- Get a dog. This is kind of a far-fetched idea but if you were thinking about getting a dog, you could get a livestock dog that will protect your rabbits. But then you have to feed the dog, train the dog, vet the dog and walk the dog.

- I know I keep harping on about the run but... this is your #1, first class option that will protect your rabbits from ALL predators, day and night. You can still let them out of the run when you're home during the day. Use 1/2" solid steel mesh so nothing can reach or tear through it.

I would NOT suggest:

- Feeding the cat. If you suspect the cat is stray or feral and is hungry, the kindest thing to do would be to trap it and bring it to a shelter. Feeding it so it won't eat your rabbits will work for a day but you may end up with a cat colony in your back yard. If it's just a local indoor/outdoor cat that likes to hang around, it probably wouldn't hurt to feed it a bit, but I don't think it'll really accomplish anything.
- Standing on your deck and spraying. Mostly because that's a waste of your time and is not a viable long-term solution.
- Trap and relocate the cat. If you take the cat far enough that it won't come back, it will probably starve or get hit by a car wandering around. If it's an owned cat you would be taking away someone's pet (granted, someone irresponsible, but some people just don't know better). If it comes to that, bring it to a shelter.

----------

Unfortunately any way to eliminate the problem without you standing around all night is going to cost you money and/or require you to do some work, unless you can find the owner of the cat and he agrees to keep the cat indoors. With predators, there is no magic answer, and you have to do what you think is necessary to protect your pets from predators... preferably before you lose a rabbit.

Good luck... keep us posted!

Edited to ad: Just to give you an idea of how pervasive and persistent predators are... there are coyotes in Manhattan and in Queens.

ZoeStevens wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the cat's comfort UNLESS it's really cold out. If it's freezing, don't spray it with a hose. If it's not freezing, spray it all you want. It'll survive.

You don't have to stand there and watch the trap. You'll probably hear it close, and just keep an eye on it every hour or so.

I have been thinking more about this and I like the sprinkler suggestion. You can get a sprinkler with a motion sensor. You can also get some motion-control lights. Anyway, as I see it you options are as follows:

- Live-trap the cat. This alone might be enough because cats hate being trapped. Otherwise, you can bring the cat to its owner saying "your cat came after my rabbits so I trapped him, please keep him indoors, if I trap him again I will have to bring him to the shelter." Or go straight to bringing him to the shelter but know that if he is not young and friendly he may be euthanized which would be sad.
*IMO this is a band-aid solution because it only deals with this one cat. I guarantee you there are more predators around that you haven't seen yet (especially with winter coming).

- Observe the cat. Is he actually hunting your rabbits? It wouldn't surprise me if he was but he might just be hanging out. At home I have an angora rabbit, two small parrots and six cats. The only ones who get attacked are the cats, by the birds ;) That said, I had a hungry stray cat attack my rooster. The cat came away much more banged up than the rooster.
*Again this is just a bandaid

- Speak to the neighbour. Honestly, some people are just clueless. He/she might be mortified to find out what his cat has been up to.
*Again, only deals with this one animal

- Finish your hutch ASAP. Large rabbits in a fenced area in the suburbs are relatively safe during the day. If you can put them in a safe place during dawn, dusk and night, it should be fine.
*This one doesn't address daytime predators but I don't think that is too likely.

- Use deterrents - motion activated lights and sprinkles, spraying the perimeter (outside the fence) with a cayenne-based repellant (google cayenne raccoon repellent for more ideas).
*Repellant needs to be re-applied every few days but it REALLY works. I had racoons or foxes or something trying to dig under my chicken run. It's fort knox but I still didn't want them trying so I put repellant all around every 2 days for a week and they stopped coming. It hurts like hell but it's not permanently damaging. And it doesn't bother birds.
*This is probably your best, cheapest option combined with getting the hutch up ASAP.

- Get a dog. This is kind of a far-fetched idea but if you were thinking about getting a dog, you could get a livestock dog that will protect your rabbits. But then you have to feed the dog, train the dog, vet the dog and walk the dog.

- I know I keep harping on about the run but... this is your #1, first class option that will protect your rabbits from ALL predators, day and night. You can still let them out of the run when you're home during the day. Use 1/2" solid steel mesh so nothing can reach or tear through it.

I would NOT suggest:

- Feeding the cat. If you suspect the cat is stray or feral and is hungry, the kindest thing to do would be to trap it and bring it to a shelter. Feeding it so it won't eat your rabbits will work for a day but you may end up with a cat colony in your back yard. If it's just a local indoor/outdoor cat that likes to hang around, it probably wouldn't hurt to feed it a bit, but I don't think it'll really accomplish anything.
- Standing on your deck and spraying. Mostly because that's a waste of your time and is not a viable long-term solution.
- Trap and relocate the cat. If you take the cat far enough that it won't come back, it will probably starve or get hit by a car wandering around. If it's an owned cat you would be taking away someone's pet (granted, someone irresponsible, but some people just don't know better). If it comes to that, bring it to a shelter.

----------

Unfortunately any way to eliminate the problem without you standing around all night is going to cost you money and/or require you to do some work, unless you can find the owner of the cat and he agrees to keep the cat indoors. With predators, there is no magic answer, and you have to do what you think is necessary to protect your pets from predators... preferably before you lose a rabbit.

Good luck... keep us posted!

Edited to ad: Just to give you an idea of how pervasive and persistent predators are... there are coyotes in Manhattan and in Queens.
:yeahthat:

Do NOT trap and relocate the cat. As the cat will most likely die.

ZoeStevens, thanks a lot for detailed answer.
Updates are: nothing has been productively done to eliminate the problem (I am a mom, a student, a worker, etc).
I was gone for the holidays for 2 days, my husband was home but he works most of the time. As a reminder, except the cat problem, we have young unneutered buck who can't be around both females (he gets neutered tomorrow, what a relief).
My husband was separating them: girls on the front, boys on the back. He gets tired at work so he didn't do as much monitoring or precaution as I do. When I arrived home at 10pm, I found both girls sitting on the front doing all right. And the fence on the front (rabbit guard) is really not that great!
Today we were working on the hutch in garage when I checked for the cat at the regular time - 6 pm. He was there, but not as close as he used to come at the beginning. He is getting more careful. The problem is that he is in my nearest neighbor's yard and the neighbor doesn't like trespassing (they may already be p*ssed with all the flashlighting in their windows I have been doing). I sprayed cat from the hose, don't know if I got him but he ran away. It will be a little above freezing tonight.
LAter, I got all the girls into garage so I could release the young rabbit to hop off the cage. Some time later, the older boy rabbit came up the deck to the sliding door that we are using to let them into the house. He seemed anxious so I opened the door for him and went out. I saw the cat near my backyard fence. I sprayed him with water again (it's hard to saw if water got him but he ran away). By this time all the boy rabbit came inside the house.
You asked if the cat may just be hanging out -- it could be. Rabbits left on the front when I was gone weren't harmed at all (but the husband said he didn't see the cat while I was gone).
Anyway the problem with trapping is that trap needs to be at the neighbor's yard. I don't know if he likes it. He hires a company to spray against weeds. I already told him to be careful and not to spray any of my grass because of the rabbits. All my territory is fenced.
Sprinkler could be a good idea if it were not beginning of December. We are getting in a cold freezing weather.

I don't know if this is a possibility, but you could try running a hotwire around your top fenceline. It's a fence charger used for horses, that keeps them corraled and so they don't touch or lean on the fence. It wouldn't hurt the cat, but it would definitely frighten it away if it touched the wire.

To get a dog... no, thank you. Too many problems.
By the way, parents of my older rabbits (and grandparents of my younger rabbits) were finally eaten by their Labrador.

JBun wrote:
I don't know if this is a possibility, but you could try running a hotwire around your top fenceline. It's a fence charger used for horses, that keeps them corraled and so they don't touch or lean on the fence. It wouldn't hurt the cat, but it would definitely frighten it away if it touched the wire.
would you please give me a link for the correct one?

Here are a few. I think two are plug in,the other is battery operated. You would need to do a little research on how to set it up cause the wire has to be attached to insulators. You may be able to find something cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LP8CHM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HHO9EE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042XAP38/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00099FAK2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back