A cat is hunting for my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
My rabbits live in the backyard. They have a hutch but it's rather small (was intended for 2 rabbits, but now we have 4). We have been building a new, larger hutch (since May, yeah), but I am not sure how soon we can finish it.
Anyway, there is a chain link fence around the back yard, regular for this type of fence height. Part of the front and side yard is fenced with rabbit guard (28in tall) - we needed front for the summer as there is a large tree there and shade.
We have never had any problems with predators. We are close to the main streets intersection, so we always have some lights and some noise.
Today I went out to check on my rabbits. One of the bucks is being hormonal and will be neutered soon. As he was chasing the female, I locked female in the front part (I can block space under the back yard gate so they won't fit under the gate).
I went out just on time. A pretty large black cat I've never seen before was approaching front fence. I quickly chased female to the back and tried to chase the cat away. I couldn't do it. The cat was really insolent and not scared of anything. It sat under my car, then the neighbor's car and then under all cars in the immediate neighborhood. One time it ran really fast towards me, to jump over the fence I guess. I was having a hard time protecting my rabbits. I called for help. My husband helped to get rabbits inside the garage while I was monitoring the cat.
We secured rabbits for this night in the house (girls) and garage (boys).
Now I am afraid the cat will be returning.
- Do they hunt after dark only or during the sunlight too?
- Is there anything to repel the cat - maybe a smell I could spread around?
- not sure what you call it (I am a foreigner here) but is there a wire that has sharp thorns? (something that cat would n;t like to climb)
The problem is the there is a daycare adjacent to us and they have tall wooden fence right next to our chain link fence. Should be no problem for the cat to climb that wooden fence and then jump into my yard. Or, the cat could climb a tree on the front and get to the roof, go around and.....
What should I do? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Thumperina wrote:
My rabbits live in the backyard. They have a hutch but it's rather small (was intended for 2 rabbits, but now we have 4). We have been building a new, larger hutch (since May, yeah), but I am not sure how soon we can finish it.
Anyway, there is a chain link fence around the back yard, regular for this type of fence height. Part of the front and side yard is fenced with rabbit guard (28in tall) - we needed front for the summer as there is a large tree there and shade.
We have never had any problems with predators. We are close to the main streets intersection, so we always have some lights and some noise.
Today I went out to check on my rabbits. One of the bucks is being hormonal and will be neutered soon. As he was chasing the female, I locked female in the front part (I can block space under the back yard gate so they won't fit under the gate).
I went out just on time. A pretty large black cat I've never seen before was approaching front fence. I quickly chased female to the back and tried to chase the cat away. I couldn't do it. The cat was really insolent and not scared of anything. It sat under my car, then the neighbor's car and then under all cars in the immediate neighborhood.  One time it ran really fast towards me, to jump over the fence I guess. I was having a hard time protecting my rabbits. I called for help. My husband helped to get rabbits inside the garage while I was monitoring the cat.
We secured rabbits for this night in the house (girls) and garage (boys).
Now I am afraid the cat will be returning.
- Do they hunt after dark only or during the sunlight too?
- Is there anything to repel the cat - maybe a smell I could spread around?
- not sure what you call it (I am a foreigner here) but is there a wire that has sharp thorns? (something that cat would n;t like to climb)
The problem is the there is a daycare adjacent to us and they have tall wooden fence right next to our chain link fence. Should be no problem for the cat to climb that wooden fence and then jump into my yard. Or, the cat could climb a tree on the front and get to the roof, go around and.....
What should I do? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
--wowza--as you would know,i,m probably too late for any advice,,our house rabbit has about 9 --now cats-,living with him,--when these 9-were kittens--the rabbit thought they were his own and possesive of them---but cats are predators as in your case they will not play with or care for your bunz,,-cats will kill them,-it is not a pretty sight to behold,--your only option is to relocate the cage/bunz into a more secure building/garage,..cats can reach into/through quite a small wire cage -and parasites like fleas and chiggers are not friendly anyway,,-sincerely james waller--:pray::innocent

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Or trap and relocate the cat. I had Possums kill some of my Koi, so I eliminated the problem.
yeah trap sounds great! I just wish I knew how to trap a pretty long area along the fence.

Do you think I need to try to determine whose cat it was? Talking to the owner wouldn't help, right?

Do they hunt after dark only? IS there a possibility that cat returns during the day?
Do cats have good memory about stuff like location of rabbits?

I don't think you should trap and relocate it, because I read that if you relocate a cat the shock will kill it.

And maybe talking to the owner would help, after all the cat is trespassing on your property.

And yes, I read that cats typically hunt after dark and in the day, so never leave your buns unsupervised outside. And yes they do have good memory.

I see the strays that adopted me out at all hours of the day/night.

you could try feeding the cat. it'd keep it from being hungry for bunnies and if you feed in a specific location at the same time every day, the cat will learn "go to this spot at this time for food". once you train the cat, you can skip feeding it for a day or two and then bait a humane trap for it and put it out in the regular place at the regular time. (I just learned all about trapping cats from a class for my city's TNR (trap-neuter-return) program 'cause I wanna get my strays fixed/vaccinated)

I don't even know from what direction to expect this cat (to feed). Never seen it before.
Thanks for advise everybody! It is very appreciated.
Yesterday, while I was chasing the cat, a little wild rabbit crossed our way and ran away. I thought that wild rabbits have more chance to escape as they are not limited by fences. They in general are more used to look for predators and stay away from them. IMHO

if you put food out in a spot that's convenient for you, chances are he'll find it.

you could also call animal control and see if there's anything they could do to help.

What to tell animal control if cat is there once in a while? Actually I think I have seen this cat before (very rarely), but I chased it away really easily. I was surprised how persistent and insolent this cat was.

Is it OK (and legal) to call animal control for animals that can be someone's?

Thumperina wrote:
What to tell animal control if cat is there once in a while? Actually I think I have seen this cat before (very rarely), but I chased it away really easily. I was surprised how persistent and insolent this cat was.

I wouldn't call animal control if the cat is owned by someone, Maybe you can speak with the owner about the cat, and how it is putting your rabbits in danger. They will have to do something.

my neighbor said she was suggested to put chicken wire on the ground to repel cats from pooping in the garden. She said it kept them away pretty well.
Anybody heard about this method? She said they don't like to step on chicken wire

♥Ilovemyrabbit♥ wrote:
Thumperina wrote:

I wouldn't call animal control if the cat is owned by someone, Maybe you can speak with the owner about the cat, and how it is putting your rabbits in danger. They will have to do something.
anyway, a person who knows a lot about rules in our association told me that animal control wouldn't catch the cat - I would have to to catch it myself and then they might come and get it.
Is this how it works?

Yes, the cat was there again at 5.45 pm, as soon as it got dark. We kept it away, I sprayed vinegar towards the cat and also on the wooden fence.

I had a problem with a neighbour's cat too. I read that one way to get rid is to chuck water on them cos they hate it. I felt that was a little cruel so what i did was, every time i saw it id aim the water at it but make sure i hit the spot right next to the cat and it would run off. It worked after a few times it stopped coming

Cats hunt at any time of the day, someone near me had her 10 week old bunny eaten by a cat :( it was so so sad but it happens so I'd watch your bunnies and make sure the cat can never get near them.. If the cat wants the rabbits nothing will stop him from coming into your garden to get them just make sure there is no way the cat can get them, cats always try to get my bunnies I've tried water throwing, garlic, just scaring I've tried everything, because if a cat wants to hunt something nothing will stop them, thankfully my bunnies have a safe shed and run :)

- Borrow a humane live trap. Trap the cat near where the rabbits live. Release the cat immediately. Repeat if necessarily. It will not take long for the cat to avoid that area.

- Find out who owns the cat and ask them to keep the cat indoors (there is plenty of literature online about why cats are much better off indoors). If they are nice people they will do their best. If they react badly, ask them if they would be willing to help you, financially, in cat-proofing your rabbit area. Close by saying that if the cat kills a rabbit you will be charging them for the replacement.

- Cat-proof an area for your rabbit. I had to drop $400 on a chicken run this summer after a fox got a couple of my hens.

There lots of smells that cats hate (hot pepper, citrus come to mind) however they may also bother the bunnies.

Wow, thats not good! Poor bunnies :( Try to find the owner would be my best answer. I hope your bunnies are okay!

Thanks :) I work with stray/feral cats--- I know far more about them than rabbits! Heh.

Question: how big are your rabbits? If they are larger, you might not need to worry at all. Cats aren't stupid and will not try to take down a rabbit their size unless they are REALLY hungry. Someone else suggested to feed the cat which is good advice if the cat is hungry-hunting (I have a feral cat in my yard that I feed - he eats a lot of kibble so I can't imagine he hunts much). However, some cats will kill prey regardless of whether they are hungry.

Honestly my best advice for OP would be to build a predator-proof rabbit area or rabbit tractor (a bottomless cage you can move around so they can eat fresh grass). Although it might not seem like it there are many predators in urban and suburban areas - fisher cats, raccoons, coyotes, cats, stray dogs. Even if you get this cat kept indoors, who knows about the next one.

If you Google "Rabbit enclosure" and look in images there are lots of good ideas. It's expensive but it's the only way to guarantee the safety of your buns.

Back