Zupreem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score

Feeding Instructions
[font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]Feed 1/4 cup per day for every 5 lbs. the adult rabbit weighs. Reduce or increase the amount depending on the rabbit’s overall body condition. Also feed free choice ZuPreem[/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]® [/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]Nature’s Promise[/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]™ [/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]Hay Products. When introducing a new food, begin with a mixture of the "old" and "new" foods. Gradually increase the amount of new food over a 7 to 10 day period. Provide plenty of fresh, clean water.
[/font]
[/font]
Ingredients
[font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]Sun-cured timothy grass hay, Corn gluten meal, Ground corn, Dried beet pulp, Dicalcium phosphate, Dextrose, Salt, Calcium carbonate, Flaxseed meal, Brewers dried yeast, Ground vegetables (carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach),L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, Choline chloride, DL-Methionine,L-Lysine, Natural mixed tocopherols, Zinc sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Manganese sulfate, Copper sulfate, Zinc proteinate, Calcium iodate, Copper proteinate, Manganese proteinate, Cobalt carbonate, Sodium selenite, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D[/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]3 [/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]supplement, Vitamin E supplement, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine mononitrate, Folic acid, Biotin, Vitamin B[/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]12 [/font][/font][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]supplement
[/font]
[/font]
Guaranteed Analysis
[font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]
Crude Protein Not less than (min.) 14.0%

Crude Fat Not less than (min.) 1.0%

Crude Fiber Not greater than (max.) 28.0%

Moisture Not greater than (max.) 12.0%

This is the pellets storm eats I have access to ox bow. But this seem like a good food. But I wantedoppion from other more experienced rabbit owners.

http://www.zupreem.com/animal/small_animal/nourish/NP_pellets.shtmlis the wedsiteis all the info about the food. I feed ox bow hay

Greens and 3 other types of hay thanks for the info
[/font]
[/font]

If he's doing good on it, it's fine. It's a newer pellet brand so I don't know many people who have used it. My one concern is the corn and corn gluten (corn sugar) which might be too many carbs for some rabbits.

I would definitely pick Oxbow over Zupreem Rabbit pellets. While the nutritional content of the Zupreem is good, the ingredients are low quality compared to Oxbow.

naturestee wrote:
If he's doing good on it, it's fine. It's a newer pellet brand so I don't know many people who have used it. My one concern is the corn and corn gluten (corn sugar) which might be too many carbs for some rabbits.
Gluten is a protein, not a sugar, so contributes to protein content, not carbohydrates ("Gluten is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. These exist, conjoined with starch, in the endosperms of some grass-related grains, notably wheat, rye, and barley. Gliadin and glutenin comprise about 80% of the protein contained in wheat seed. The seeds of most flowering plants have endosperms with stored protein to nourish embryonic plants during germination, but true gluten, with gliadin and glutenin, is limited to certain members of the grass family. The stored proteins of maize [i.e. corn] and rice are sometimes called glutens, but their proteins differ from wheat gluten by lacking gliadin.")

Zupreem's pellet content is about the same as Oxbow's, same protein %, slightly less fat (.5% less), 1% less max. fiber. Oxbow min. fiber is 25% though).
The only difference is that they use corn instead of wheat and soy protein, which they claim is easyer to digest, especially compared to the soy.

I have bought it for Hazel, but she doesn't like it. The only pellets she will eat are Kaytee Timothy compleat, so that's what she gets. She gets very few anyway, more as a treat, and more in winter when we have less fresh greens available.

Well I can get Zupreem anytime. The mom and pop store my friends own. he only orders it for me.

So i can always get it. I would get ox bow from petsmart.

I normally feed my buns Kaytee Timothy Complete.
But I decided to try the Zupreem.

Any store that gets Zupreem products should be able to order you a bag to try if you want.

My local store ordered a 10 lb bag. It was only like $8.99...and then there was a $5 instant coupon on the bag...so I got a great deal.

About half of the buns would eat it, but it also gave them soft poops and extra cecals so I stop using it.
I've got about 8 or 9 pounds left if anybody wants it.

I got some as a free sample and the bunnies love it. However, I didn't want to go through a switchover from Oxbow and it does seem a bit high in carbs from the ingredient list, so I didn't switch to it. I can also get oxbow super cheap here (half the price of petsmart) because of the local pet food store.

Happi Bun wrote:
I would definitely pick Oxbow over Zupreem Rabbit pellets. While the nutritional content of the Zupreem is good, the ingredients are low quality compared to Oxbow.
How do you mean, low quality compared to Oxbow? what makes them lower quality?
I know of plenty of people who complain about the declining quality of Oxbow products, the quality of their products has not been good lately.
As to the contents, they are nearly identical, except for the corn instead of wheat and soy, and the added vegetables in Zupreem. Oh and they use beet pulp and dextrose for sweetener, in stead of the molasses that Oxbow uses.
I don't think that makes them any lesser quality, neither is Oxbow any better than many of the other pellets available, including the Kaytee Timothy. If you look in the thread about pellets in the library, you will notice that many brands have nearly the same content, both nutrition wise and ingredient wise.

I don't like corn because of it's tendency to mold and I've always seen it as a 'filler' ingredient. So Oxbow (at least in my opinion) is higher quality.

LuvaBun- It's interesting your buns wont eat it. The rescue I volunteer at uses Oxbow and Purina Rabbit Chow and all the buns cant get enough! =P

Though lately Oxbow has been getting bad with the amount of dust in the pellets. The price has also gone up in my area, so I'm considering switching.

Happi Bun wrote:
LuvaBun- It's interesting your buns wont eat it.
My buns would turn their noses at Oxbow too. They wouldonly eat it if there was nothing else to eat. I use Martins Less Active, and my two would act if I starved them for weeks when I am about to feed them with it.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
and my two would act if I starved them for weeks when I am about to feed them with it.
My bunnies act like that no matter what I give them.

Korr and Penny are on Oxbow BB/T and Sean is on Martin alfalfa for his coat (he needs the extra protein).

Corn is commonly regarded as a filler in pet foods. As a form of corn is the 2nd and 3rd ingredient, there is probably more corn than hay in the food. It is known as ingredient splitting and can make the product look better than it actually is.
Protein and fibre amounts are not the best indication of quality. If an animal cannot digest the main protein of fibre source, then they are not getting the amount indicated on the bag.
I personally avoid corn and other fillers in all my pets food as much as I can. I also don't like the Hills company (who make Zupreem as well as Science Diet for dogs and cats). They tend to use low quality ingredients and the food have limited or no meat (which dogs and cats need).

Yes, I am aware that corn is "filler" in dog and cat food, and considered unhealthy, or even harmfull. However, those are carnivorous species, they need meat, not grains.
Although I have not found any studies on the digestability of corn in rabbits, it does seem to be more digestible for pigs and cattle, as compared to wheat or barley. (yes, i checked before buying the Zupreem :p)
Also, corn is generally deemed safe for people who cannot digest wheat gluten.
But, as I said, i don't know of any studies for rabbits.
Either way, Hazel didn't want to touch the Zupreem, so I never fed it. But then again, she doesn't want to touch the Oxbow products, either.

I had heard that Zupreem was better for bunnies with digestive upset issues (at least that's what the literature they sent me with the free sample said), which could be the whole corn for gluten-intolerance thing that Hazel-mom stated. I think corn may be palatable for bunnies, it's just that we really are afraid to offer whole kernel corn due to the indigestibility of the kernel. Corn may be ok if it's not the whole kernel. However, a pellet should be mostly hay because it's meant to mimic the natural diet of a rabbit, which is mostly grass. If you only give 1/8-1/4c a day it probably shouldn't matter too much. I think of pellets like a vitamin supplement that they need to get all the vitamins and minerals that are added to the pellets, or as a way to keep active bunnies or previously undernourished bunnies the right weight.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Corn is commonly regarded as a filler in pet foods. As a form of corn is the 2nd and 3rd ingredient, there is probably more corn than hay in the food
So by your logic, the same must be true for Oxbow pellets. Their 2nd, 3rd, AND 4th ingredients are soybean hulls, wheat middlings, and soybean meal.

Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, WheatMiddlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Salt, Limestone, Yeast Culture(Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Vitamin C Supplement (AscorbicAcid), Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (VitaminK), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, PantothenicAcid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, PyrodoxineHydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, FerrousSulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate,Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, PotassiumChloride

But really, since the FIRST ingredient in both brands is Timothy, most likely there is more of that in the pellets than anything else.
Also note that Zupreem lists their main ingredient as [font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"][font="GillSans Light,GillSans Light"]"Sun-cured timothy grass hay", whereas Oxbow's is "[/font][/font]Timothy Grass Meal".
IMO, that means the fiber in Zupreem is longer than in Oxbow, thus considered "better".

wow I opened a can of worms:p

Storm eat zupreem have not had a problem with it he wont eat ox bow. I tried some he eats the hay but not the pellets.

What he will do is if he does not like something I willknow cause he will eat more hey. and there will still be food in his bowl.

Like I did say storm is a eat em up

This is an interesting thread to me personally. It still comes down to the fact that pellets should be such a small part of the diet that the brand of pellets should not really matter nutritionally unless they are total junk. As far as brands...and the composition....there are several pellets that are what I consider higher qualtiy than Oxbow. I have not used Oxbow products in years....and some of you that have followed my posts already know that I am not a fan of Oxbow. I am not saying that Oxbow is not a good pellet..but their quality has taken a huge hit over the past couple of years....and other brands have stepped up the quality of their products. And if I were to formallydiscuss the composition of each pellet..I would be concerned over some of the supplements that are not in certain pellets.....and some that are particularly the levels ofDextrose, Sugar Beets and Cane Molasses. I would really like to know how much of these "supplements" are in these "fortified" foods. I don't know, but it sounds like this is a lot of sugar....and we know what sugar does in a rabbit's gut.I will stick with the unlimited high quality hay and very limited pellets.

Randy

Latest posts

Back