Zombie Bunnies-Horrible, Hideous, Fluffy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alek

Reaction score
This first blog isn't so much about my bunny but the wonderful relationship my bun Tiberius has with as small, delicate feline named Gigi.
I got Gigi at 4wks old when my mother was working at a nearby vet clinic. It was winter and she had come to check on the clinic before her and the staff took the rest of there vacation. She showed up early to the clinic one morning after a sleet storm only to find a tiny box sitting wet and frozen near the front door and inside to her surprise was a tiny grey kitten with patches of fur missing, a broken leg and eyes matted shut with green puss and barely breathing. My Mother took her in, got her warm and called the vet staff to come in. The tiny kitten barely weaned; had ear mites, an eye infection, a broken leg, pneumonia, bronchitis, a sinus infection and a full body infection that was attacking her immune system. The vet fixed her up as well as he could but expected her to die soon. I came by the clinic a few days later to play with the animals and saw her huddled in the back of the kennel in a blanket, a disgusting shivering mess- I fell in love with her. The vet knew she needed to be surpervised 24/7 and I had fostered sick animals before. My Mother surprised me by bringing her home to me. The vet told me that she would probably die so not to be surprised and to just make her comfortable. My black lab mix took to her right away; cleaning her, keeping her warm and taking care of her. Five years later she is alive and well and had attatched herself day and night to her big doggy protector.
Because of the illness she had as a kitten she has some neurological issues and is extremely scared, but her fear took over completely when her father and my best friend, my dog Ben, met a sudden death from a brain tumor. After that she refused to leave the bathroom where she slept and shivered in fear constantly- hiding in the cupboard when someone came near.
During the spring of this year after months of research and consideration I bought Tiberius, my French Angora rabbit. We hit it off right away and he integrated himself into our home and within days it was as if he'd always been there. On the 7th day I had him, I had introduced him to all my other pets… except my little scared kitty Gigi. I needed to clip his feet hair and took him into the bathroom with me- hoping Gigi wouldn't become even more terrified by meeting a new animal. I set Tiberius on the floor so I could get my supplies. Tiberius bounced up to her calmly and gently kissed her on the nose and started cleaning her ears. It seemed as if all of a sudden all her fear had dissipated. After a year of Gigi's terrified shivering since her dog dad died she suddenly stopped and calmed.
Gigi and Tiberius have been inseparable since. Besides nighttime they spend all day together and Gigi has blossomed into a more independent and confident kitty. They sleep together, groom each other, eat each others food and play together. Tiberius also plays big brother and fights off our little dog when he gets to rough with her. Tiberius has been a wonderful addition to our home and it is a true joy to watch Gigi go from a scared shivering ball of fur to a happy, confident cat who worships her bunny friend.
My experience with Tiberius and Gigi has shown me so much about how animals really can help- not only us, but can assist each other- regardless of the difference in species.

"Where are the chips?"
05160195164400-2.jpg

Back