Zoe leaves us today...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My DH spoke with the vet this morning. Zoe is scheduled to be pts at 11:30 am (CST) today. (It would be sooner, if the vet had appointment time that would allow us to be with her to the very end. She said she doesn't want us to be rushed, so she gave us a later time.)

The vet offered to perform a necropsy at no charge, if we believe that it would bring us peace of mind. She also said that what is found could potentially help them treat other rabbits. I'm considering it, although I don't know if my wish to bring Zoe's body home (for the other pets to say their final goodbyes) would interfere with a necropsy.

And now I'm off to go snorggle a bun who's been in my care for the past four years'.

Jenk

I'll be thinking of you and Zoe today. It's a hard decision, but you really do know when it's time.

As far as taking her home interfering with a necropsy, if you do so be sure to keep the body refrigerated (not frozen) as soon as possible after letting the other buns say goodbye. The sooner after death a necropsy is performed, the better the results will be but a vet can certainly perform one later as long as the body is stored properly.

missyscove wrote:
I'll be thinking of you and Zoe today. It's a hard decision, but you really do know when it's time.
Thank you, missycove.

As far as taking her home interfering with a necropsy, if you do so be sure to keep the body refrigerated (not frozen) as soon as possible after letting the other buns say goodbye. The sooner after death a necropsy is performed, the better the results will be but a vet can certainly perform one later as long as the body is stored properly.
I am a 9-minute drive from my vet's office. I asked if I could bring Zoe's body home to allow our other pets to have a few minutes apiece with her and, then, bring her body right back to their office. I was told that that plan should not interfere with a necropsy. If I lived farther away, I'm sure that would change things.... At least this way, I needn't stress Emma out with a car ride to the vet's office, too, just so that she can say her goodbyes.

You are doing the best thing for Zoe. It sounds like she is suffering at this point and it will be merciful. It's so hard to let go of a loved one. :hugsquish:

I will be praying for you and your family today :pray:

General Bismark and I will be thinking of you all day, by the minute. I am very sorry for you and your Zoe. I have had to make the choice before, and it's so very hard. But being a good companion to your furry friend sometimes means making these hard choices.

Truly, I will be sending you my best wishes all day, Jenk. Give your other little ones extra special love today as well. If you need to talk about anything, I'm sure many of us, including myself, would be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

Many hugs.

MiniLopHop wrote:
You are doing the best thing for Zoe. It sounds like she is suffering at this point and it will be merciful. It's so hard to let go of a loved one. :hugsquish:

I will be praying for you and your family today :pray:
Thank you so much, MiniLopHop. :hug:

Jenk

kuniklos wrote:
General Bismark and I will be thinking of you all day, by the minute. I am very sorry for you and your Zoe. I have had to make the choice before, and it's so very hard. But being a good companion to your furry friend sometimes means making these hard choices.

Truly, I will be sending you my best wishes all day, Jenk. Give your other little ones extra special love today as well. If you need to talk about anything, I'm sure many of us, including myself, would be more than happy to help you in any way we can.

Many hugs.
Thank you, kuniklos. I suspect that when I'm able, I will definitely want/need to talk things through with people on this forum who've made this difficult journey. I am immensely grateful for people like yourself who offer their support.

I am down to about my last hour with Zoe, since it's now 10:30 am here. I'm going to go snorggle a bun some more....

Jenk - give her a kiss and hug goodbye from all of us. As hard as this is you are doing the most compassionate and loving thing for her. It is a terrible choice but one of great love. We are all here for you.

gmas rabbit wrote:
Jenk - give her a kiss and hug goodbye from all of us. As hard as this is you are doing the most compassionate and loving thing for her. It is a terrible choice but one of great love. We are all here for you.
Okay, now I can't contain the tears. :cry1:Not only because of our soon-to-be loss but also because of the overwhelming kindness of everyone here.

I"m praying for you! - Have been alot today. I think you're doing the right thing, and Zoe knows she's got an owner who adores her! Can't believe how much you've done for her, you've done a great job caring for her.
:cry1: Bye bye Zoe :cry4:

Oh, Jen, I'm crying with you :( Didn't see this thread until now because I was at school but I've been thinking of Miss Zoe all day. I know she's free from pain now and you made the right choice but I'm so sad anyway.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Oh, Jen, I'm crying with you :( Didn't see this thread until now because I was at school but I've been thinking of Miss Zoe all day. I know she's free from pain now and you made the right choice but I'm so sad anyway.
It truly is better to not have to cry alone. :hug:

For anyone who may be interested, I have posted a tribute to Zoe in the Rainbow Bridge Announcements section. I originally planned to wait until at least tomorrow, but I felt inspired to express my thoughts and feelings today.

Thank you again, Everyone, for all of your support. I don't know what I would do without this community. You are an incredible group of people. Truly.

Jenk

Back