Zithromax dosing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Ned got a new medication today for his ear infection: Zithromax. It's a suspension and says it's 100 mg/5 mL. Ned weighs 2.15 lbs. The bottle says to give him 2.5 mL once per day. Does this sound right? It seems awfully high to me! I gave him another dose of Baytril tonight instead of the Zithromax because I don't want to overdose him.

Also, jeez, it cost $120 for a 14 day supply! In 2 weeks we have to get more. That's a lot of money. Is there any way to get it cheaper?! I heard Alicia talk about getting it as a pill. I'm willing to crush pills if it will save us that much money.

When Sparky was on Zithro, she got 1.5ml once per day and she was 6 pounds. I don't know what the suspension was. I know I didn't pay nearly that much for it either.

I would call Walmart and see if they can fill the prescription and how much it would be - if it would be cheaper - have your vet call it in to them or write you a prescription.

I know that I needed some medicine that I paid $35 or so for at the vet - had to get it refilled - they called it into Walmart - was $5 for about three times the amount!

We already paid the money for it. Paul went and got it. The funny thing is if I had picked it up, I would have paused and tried to find out if I could get it cheaper... Also, something somewhat similar happened last summer with the baby birds. The vet screwed up BIG TIME and called in a prescription that Paul picked up. Without asking any questions, he paid $120 for 3 bottles of this medication. The babies were so, so tiny that I had to dilute the medication with 9 parts water and then only give each chick .1 mL. I had something like 5,000 times more medicine than I needed. Before he left to pick up Ned's prescription today, I jokingly told him to be sure NOT to pay $120 and come home with 3 bottles of medicine and that's exactly what happened! At least this time it wasn't a mistake, there's just so much medicine in each dose that they had to split it up among 3 bottles :expressionless

Back