Zeus is being a pain in the butt...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
Zeus is driving me crazy - he's always been so healthy and hasen't had any problems up till now and I'm an overparanoid bunny mama, He's going to give me grey hair! (Which I'm sure he'll think looks good, being 'grey' himself!)

Anyways here's my story...

A few weeks ago I got really sick, bed bound sick. I live alone, and it was horrable dragging myself out of bed at all, especially to feed and clean up after the bunnies. Now usually, I was giving them fresh hay twice a day, in the morning and night, and giving them their salad (various healthy greens and veggies, and sometimes fruit), and no pellets at all. But when I was sick, it was really hard for me to take care of them twice a day. So I got lazy, and started giving them a small amount of oxbow timathy pellets in the morning instead of cleaning the litter box and giving them hay in the morning. At night I was still cleaning the box, giving them hay, and their salad. Well Zeus decided that pellets and salad were so much better then hay, that he would just eat them. And he was eating all the pellets, not just his share.

Keep in mind that I only did this for about a week. Then I started to notice that when I gave Zeus his papia tablet, he was chewing it kind of funny and was drooling a little. I imedently became paranoid because I know that those are signs of teeth problems. I waited it out a few days, but when he didn't go back to normal, I took him to the vet. The vet looked at his teeth and told me that his teeth were very very slightly overgrown, but she didn't feel it was at a point where trimming was necessary. She told me to switch him back to his usual diet - no more pellets, because pellets don't wear down their teeth the same way that hay and veggies do. So I stopped feeding them pellets, and made sure they always had plenty of hay, and stuff to chew on.

After about another week - Zeus stopped drooling when I gave them papia tablets. He's eating everything normally and his teeth appear to be fine. However, he isn't eating as much hay as he use too. He seems to be waiting it out until dinner time when I give them salad, and I don't know what to do! He's always been really picky about his hay, he'll only eat oxbow hay for some reason, I got them another brand once and he wouldn't touch the stuff. He also only eats the 'good' pieces of hay, and leaves most of it. But now he hardly eats any at all, from what I see.

I serously think he just got to use to eating pellets and salad and treats, and decided that hay just isn't very tastey compaired to all that. I was thinking that maybe if I didn't give him his salad, or gave him way less then normal, that he would get hungry and have to eat hay - but on the other hand, I'm afraid to feed him less because what if he still doesn't eat more hay, and gets gi stasis or something? I guess it is possable that he's eating it while I'm not around, since I'm in school all day, but he doesn't seem to be eating as much as normal when I am around and thats what's got me worried.

So does anyone have any advice? As a side not, besides the hay boycott thing, Zeus is behaving like his normal bratty self - his teeth are fine now, he's still going to the bathroom fine...all that good stuff! I'm just worried that he's not eating enough hay.

Sorry this post is so long!

Just a guess based on some of the things you mention - could well be dental problems. if it were me, I would get him to a vet who would do a thorough exam (including x-rays).

I've already done that. The vet looked at his front teeth, back teeth with some thing that looked like what they use to look in human ears, and took xrays. I have a very good bunny vet :) She said that his back teeth look fine, no spurs or anything and they wern't too long, but that his front teeth were slighty overgrown, but not at a point where she thought they needed to be trimed yet. I changed his diet and gave him more to chew on, and they started looking better. I took him back to the vet to see if she agreed - she said they were definatly getting better and they shouldn't be causing him any problems at this point.

I swear he just wants to give me a heart attack from worry. But last night, I gave them slightly less greens, and guess where the little butt head is right now? Yup, sitting in the litter pan, munching away on hay. Now I'm wondering if maybe I was just being paranoid and he was just eating it when I wasn't around. Usually I'm in collage/work all day, I get home and let them out to play, then put them back in their cage before I go to bed.

Anyways, I guess everything is fine. I'm going to keep looking at his teeth and such and if I notice anymore problems he's going straight to the vet.

The drooling (etc.) sounds suspicious all the same - can you get a second opinion?

I sapose that I could... But he's not drooling anymore.

I'm not even sure the drooling was due to his teeth, I think it could have had something to do with the old batch of papia treats, or the fact that I mixed them with craisens. Because when I got a new thing of papia tabs, the drooling stopped. And he only drooled when he ate papia tablets, nothing else. I don't think a second opinion will be much help at this point, seeing I aleady took him to one of the best rabbit vets in the area.

But either way, he was eating hay today, and is eating everything else normally. And he's acting normal. But if anything changes, he'll be going right back to the vet.

OK - So I don't think Zeus' hay problem was ever really with his teeth, but his other end!

I noticed that he was going to the bathroom less and he had hair in his poo. So off to the vet we went, yet again. She gave him some meds to make him poo and help get out all the hair. He started going to the bathroom alot, it was wet and full of hair. The vet took an Xray of his tummy and said that he had some gas bubbles, but their wasn't any blockages, so luckily he escaped surgery, for now. He's been getting some gas drops and tummy rubs, and seems to be feeling much better today! He's been munching on hay all morning!

I feel bad, because all this time I thought he had problems with his teeth, I didn't suspect at all that it was his tummy not feeling well. It makes sense though, he's been shedding like crazy lately and his buddy, Barnaby, has long hair and Zeus always grooms him. I can definatly see how having a tummy full of fur would make him not want to eat as much.

Poor Zeus, I just ordered "the furminator" online and him and Barnaby both are going to be getting brushed much more - even thougth they both hate it!

Latest posts

Back