Zarzamora's Rabbit Hole

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zarzamora

Reaction score
Hola! This is the story of five bunnies in Mexico!

Amante
oopsbun.jpg

Polvo
duo.jpg

Zamore
zamora.jpg

Farrah
farrah.jpg

Tidbits
tidbits.jpg

and their furry friends and family.
seloso2.jpg

Buenos tardes!

what part of Mexico is Mazamitla in? I live in El Paso which is right on the border with Ciudad Juarez.

Your bunnies are quite cute. I especially love that first photo of Amante. Do the names mean anything?

Mazamitla is in the state of Jalisco, about 80 km south of Guadalajara, near the West Coast of Mexico.

Amante is Spanish for Lover.
Polvo is Spanish for Dust (dust-bunny)
Zarzamora, or Zamora, is Spanish for Blackberry.
I didn't name the other two, or I would have kept it a Spanish theme.

Thanks for the welcome!

I love zamora and Polvo!! They are so cute!! I love mini rexes!! I need more bunnies:D!! I want to start breeding again but I will have to see how it will work out at the new place.

Thanks! They are absolutely adorable, and complete sweeties! I love them all.

They are all litter box trained. Their dropping go into the worm bins to build up our compost for our gardens, where where we grow the fresh greens and veggies that I feed the bunnies. :)

Farrah and Tidbits are 6 months old, Polvo and Amante are 4 months old, and Zamora is six weeks old.

The girls (Farrah and Tidbits) live in the courtyard at the school. They have a secure enclosure, and are let out into the yard to play supervised. (No pics, but I will take some tomorow and post them)

The boys (Amante and Polvo) live at my appartment on the balcony. It is covered and enclosed so safe from predators and the elements. The have a smaller enclosure where they stay during the day. They get out for playtime in the evenings, night and early morning.

habitat1.jpg

habitat2.jpg

habitat3.jpg

Right now, Amante and Polvo are bonded males, un neutered, and they probably won't be neutered anytime soon.

Question, they are nearing maturity. They have been together since they were 4-5 weeks old. Do I need to be concerned about them fighting once they hit sexual maturity? Or can I plan on continuing to house them together.

Also, currently Zamora is staying with the boys. They get along really well. She met the girls for the first time last night and they got on well, but it was in the boys territory. I am worried about introducing her to the other two does at this point, because she is so small, and both does are of a mature age now. The other two does are a bonded pair. I have never tried to house intact rabbits together, so I am nervous about fighting. Zamora is so small, I don't want the other girls to turn on her or hurt her.

You know how girls can be. ;)

Should I wait until she is older? Should I move her in there now? Or should I build another enclosure and look for her another companion rabbit?

Last question about housing, if I breed one of my does, is it safe to continue to house her with the other doe or should I build a kindling pen?

Thanks for your input. I am trying to allow the rabbits the most natural life possible. I just don't care for cages. I may end up just neutering my bucks so they can all live together in bunny bliss.

The Good News:

Two of my does, Tidbits and Farrah, are pregnant by Amante, due April27th and 30th respectively. I am very excited about these litters.

Bad News:

I lost a buck, Polvo, in a terrible accident last month. In my griefthis is the first I have been able to discuss it. He was the orange andwhite broken buck in the photos. I miss him very much. Rest in Peace,little dust bunny.

Odd news: We had a mystery rabbit dropped off at the school. She isvery young (maybe 4 weeks) and seems healthy but she is not/cannot useone rear leg. We are not sure why. She does not elicit any pain onpalpation. She doesn't drag it....she just doesn't use it.Her leg looks normal/healthy otherwise. Since she is so young, I amthinking this was a congenital problem. Anyone have any experience withanything like this? We are calling her Luna. She's all black and a realsweey pie.

Will post pics soon of the new addition, and hopefully, our new litters.

I'm so sorry you lost Polvo. Binky free little guy. :rainbow:

Congrats on the upcoming litters and Luna the mystery bun.I'm wondering if her leg was broken in the nestbox? It mightbe healed already by now, just not healed in a way that lets her useit. Does she hop around okay without it?

I'm sorry about Polvo. Glad Luna was brought to you. Looks like she'll be well taken care of.

I adore Zamora! :hug1What an adorablytiny winybundle of fat and fur! Hahaha.I want to hug and squish her.She looks like my Mocha, although Mocha's brown and white... they justhave that same look, like, "Yeees? May I help you?" and "I'm cute. Dealwith it."

OH NO!! I am so SORRY about Parvo!! He was GORGEOUS!!

Congrats on the litters. We better see LOTS of pictures. YAY!! :elephant::bunnydance::colors:

Congrats about Luna. Can't wait for new pictures of her :colors:

Back