Zander's Hopping Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He got to it today under his chin and chewed it up a bit. Guess I should make it a bit tighter around the neck. He also made a game of hide from mommy under the desk while chewing on his harness.

Tomrrow looks like a warm day so I'm going to take him outside with the leash and see how he does with it.

I didn't get to do much with him the last week. The weateher turned warm but my neighbor was having a roof installed and I didn't want Zander scared when outside.

I took him out this morning and let him hop around while trailing a small leash. At first he was scared and didn't want to move but after about 15 min he was hopping around the yard like crazy. He found every dandelion in my flower bed and munched them down. I held the leash some, but I mostly just let him hop around.

Arwen, my dog, is great to have around when Zander is outside. She lays down near him and really watches him. When he gets scared he runs over to her. Herding dogs are awesome. We have 5 red-tailed hawks in the neighborhood and they were flying and screaming today and Arwen stuck so close to Zander when the hawks were out. Between myself and the dog next to the rabbit I doubt any hawk will be stupid enough to try.

Just wanted to update. I have scratched the idea of training him in agility for awhile. He was getting so scared when I would put the harness on him I realized that I had to work on trust first.

For the last few weeks I have been spending one-on-one time with him. A half hour in the morning and evening when he is active. I have seen remarkable improvements. I started by just sitting on the floor and waiting for him to come out of his cage - at first he would just sit in the door way.

Now when I come in the room he will hop over to me and nudge me for ear rubs. I want to work more on our relationship first. I realized I was expecting him to be a dog or a cat when he is a prey animal and needs time to build trust. Grabbing him and putting him in a harness was not the way to do that.

I've seen some binkies recently and he has followed me to the door of the room, but isn't brave enough to follow me down the hall. My goal is for him to lay next to me and nap in a huge bunny flop!

Latest posts

Back