Yummy snacks for Mila.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinaLuvsBo

Reaction score
:welcome1 - Since Mila became a part of My hubby & I's family We started a schedule for her .. & Have been doing a great job by sticking by it. Around 10am Mila is let out of her cage as we allow her to run around and be a bunny hehe. I also took a trip to a pet store to buy some snacks. They were pretty pricey, we really don't mind purchasing anything that would benefit our little Mila, but I was just wondering what kinds of foods would be okay to give her that we might have around our home, if any?

What kinds of fruits and veggies ? Anything that could be bought for her to have atleast 1-2 a day.

Also, I'm not sure if it is safe and I do not want to put my bunny in danger but would it be okay to gently wipe her down with a baby wipe, so she doesn't smell .. So far I have done so once a day and she seems to love the attention, but I don't want to harm her. Any advice is appreciated. Especially about the foods I can give her :)

:jumpforjoy:

She's 5 months, right?

If so you can introduce fresh veggies and herbs. Any green leafy lettuces (not iceberg!), romaine, green oak, parsley, cilantro, basil, bok choy, etc.

For treats fruits are okay in small quantities. My two love grapes, blueberries and banana. But again, small amounts.

Personally I avoid pet store "treats" as ironically even though they are marketed towards rabbits, alot of them have ingredients not good for rabbits.

When you introduce veggies and herbs and treats, go very slowly. Do only one kind a day so if it does cause any tummy upset you know what one to avoid in the future. Start with small amounts as well.

Encourage hay intake also. Rabbits benefit from 24 hour access to hay.

As far as baby wipes, yes the unscented, natural ones are fine. However, smell shouldn't be an issue? Rabbits are clean animals and their body itself should not have a smell. Unless scent glands need cleaning or cecals are stuck to their bottom. Also, if it's urine that is causing a bothersome smell, spaying your rabbit has been said to help with urine odor and can improve litterbox habits too.

Thank You, Lisa for responding once again, Seems you are the only one available :sunshine:The treats I bought are made from an organic company hopefully that would make things a bit safer, Thanks for the suggestions. I am not sure if it's because she is still small, or because she is still getting used to her new home but Mila, doesn't enjoy hay. I have put some in her cage and near the place she spends most of her time our of her cage and it goes untouched. It seems she enjoys the vegetable ' toppers' i put in with her pellets but not the fruity treat kinds, as they go untouched as well. I will try some of the suggestions you have given me especially grapes to see if she would enjoy those. Thanks for the great tips. We have already looked into getting her spayed while prices are affordable the waiting list isn't = bummer.

Lisa´s advice is always spot on.

I agree, veggies would be really good, mine also like watercress, rocket, dill, sage, carrot tops, celery leaves, broccoli, the list is endless. And yes, only a bit at a time until you´re sure that they can tolerate them.

Mine love a bit of banana, strawberry and pear.

I´ve never bought shop treats as they are expensive and there´s so much natural stuff that they can eat so prefer that.

I used to use unscented wipes to clean poor Snowy when he used to get sprayed by Houdini but since they were neutered, I haven´t need them. I have two white rabbits and they both keep themselves really clean, well they all clean each other as well.

Sounds like you and she will do fine, will look forward to more news on her and maybe a pic as well.

Thanks for the pics, she is gorgeous, a black and white dutchie, one of my favourites. She looks like such a good girl, I´m glad she´s found a lovely home to live in and people who care for her.

They are really smart bunnies, I have two and they are quite naughty sometimes too. I found one of them on the dining room table helping himself. It´s a constant battle to outwit them haha. I tell you they do keep you on your toes lol.

She is great, At first I thought it would be hard to care for her but she's really laid back, She loves to be free and that's just what we allow her to do. She did have me on my toes earlier today though, In the room we allow her to roam freely there is this one spot I have blocked off, she always wanders to that spot and stares for about 5 minutes..
It was the funniest. She knew exactly where she was not allowed, About 20 minutes passed ( I was reading a book ) I got a bit worried because I could not see her by the entry way of her No No spot .. Something told me to look inside the closet to the way back, and there she was.. Sleeping. She climbed over the blocked off area and got to the spot that she'd been hoping to get to. Boy, that sure did have me worried for about 2 minutes. They're truly like having children, keep you on your 1's & 2's .. :):humour:

Cute little dutchie! :) One thing you also want to keep in mind is that some rabbits can have a very sensitive digestive system and sugary treats or ones with lots of carbs can cause serious digestive problems. It's kind of a running joke here on RO about us bunny owners always talking about bunny poop. It actually is pretty true and is a common subject because one of the best ways to know if your rabbit is having digestive problems is if there are changes in their poop. So with you introducing new foods you'll want to keep an eye out for the poop becoming soft and mushy, really small, or irregular shaped. Like Lisa mentioned, you want to introduce new foods one at a time and in small amounts. This gives you a chance to see if it causes digestive upset, and to stop giving it if it does, or introduce it much more slowly. Basically any new food you give your rabbit should be gradually introduced.

Your rabbit not eating hay may just be because it isn't used to eating hay, or if you are feeding her unlimited rabbit pellets, that can also be a reason a rabbit won't eat hay, because she's filling up on pellets. If you are feeding unlimited pellets, you could try cutting back just a little on the pellets and she should start eating some hay. Grass hay is really important cause it is good for their teeth and digestion. You can check out the library section here on RO for helpful info on a rabbits diet. These other sites also have some good diet info for rabbits.

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html
http://www.3bunnies.org/feeding.htm#greens

She sounds like a really sweet rabbit. And yes, rabbits do have a nack for getting into places they aren't allowed :)

Last edited:
Thanks Jbun for those great links ! I checked them out and they were very informative ; there are so many fruits and veggies I can give Mila, So far she LOVES apples. I gave her about 5 tiny cubes and she loved it.

I wouldn't worry about the pet store bunny treats - there are so many good things that you can give her out of your own fridge (veggie/fruit) as a treat.

Mine love banana slices and apples. And they love parsely as a treat too.

I give them fresh greens daily - any type of lettuce/green but iceberg, carrot tops, radish tops, celery leaves ... start off slow, but variety is a good thing once they get used to eating greens.

What kind of hay are you offering ? Since she is young, a little alfalfa hay would be okay for her. It's not great for older bunnies as it has a lot of protein that they don't really need, but as an occasional treat or for younger bunnies, it's fine. Most of them like alfalfa even if they don't like other types of hay. Put a bit of alfalfa in with the hay you have been offering her to get her started.

My bunnies like hay cubes too - I get the ones that are mixed timothy and alfalfa. (You can get them at TSC or another livestock supply place at a reasonable price). They have to chew chew chew to get the hay and I think it satifies their natural chewing behavior. Of course I always offer free-choice hay at all times as well.

Thanks Roxy, I think I handled the hay situation already .. I was told to reduce her pellet intake, so yesterday I did not put any pellets in, I added a little apple and hay and she ate it all up ! As for feeding her fresh veggies I think that is the route I am going for, When I first got her we bought some treats from the pet store .. I noticed that she'd rather eat some apples than eat the crunchy snacks I paid money for .. Hmm , guess she's watching her figure hehe. Thanks for the advice I appreciate you ALL getting back to me with your opinions it truly means a lot and is helping me become better at knowing how to take care of her :) :happybunny:

Latest posts

Back