Your thoughts on this style of bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I spoke to a breeder the other day and she said that the fastest way to bond rabbits is to put them in a new house, with new people, new smells, totally different environment and after about a week the rabbits are quite well bonded as they have to rely on each other to feel safe.

She says i can do the standard method of bonding where i introduce them for short periods and gradually increasing that time in NEUTRAL territory.

But she recommneded that i just put the rabbits together at a friends house that they've never been to for a week and pick them up later on.

Being around new everything will usually bond them quite quickly...she says.

I wanted to know your thoughts on this?

My sister has a spayed mini lop doe (already spayed for over 2 months now) and I have a netherland dwarf buck which is due to be neutered next week 15th of December, Tuesday.

On the 27th of december i'll be going on a short holiday for about 5 days and my girlfriend will be looking after my Netherland dwarf, and this was when i was planning on possibly putting them both together and trying this method of bonding.

My only fears are:

• 1.5 weeks after a neuter wont be enough time for my Nethie's hormones to settle down after neutering and he'll continually try to hump, spray etc when he's around the Mini lop doe which will cause fights and possibly one of the rabbits being hurt.
  • This strategy wont work and they'll fight and my girlfriend wont know how to deal with this.
Note: My netherland, although reaching 5.5 months old now, has never shown any signs of cage aggression, is VERY affectionate and does not spray at all. I'm not sure if he'll start once he see's the doe though...even though he'll be neutered when he meets her. I am aware that rabbits need 4-6 weeks after surgery for all their hormones to settle down, but my doe has been spayed already so pregnancy is not an issue.

While rabbits may get along on neutral territory or even a new house/place, they could still fight if brought home. Unless both are new to you, the established rabbit could decide it doesn't like the other one once you bring them home. I know someone who has a female bonded pair and a single young female. They get along at agility events, but not at her house (the young one is living with someone else, but not because the buns don't get along). The buns (including my 3 for a total of 6) will get along, groom and cuddle when away form home, but don't necessary get along at home.

If you did do it that way, you would need to monitor them when they come home as they could still fight.

With the male having recently been neutered, I would not want to put him though the stress of bonding along with the stress of you going away and him being in a new place. Personally, I would not risk it.

i would not leave it on your friend to bond them, first off she might not know good vs bad signs, if a fight breaks out and one has to go to the vet then she is going ot have to deal with it. I know that bonding is stressful and i would not wish it on my worst enemy,lol!!!!!!!!!! i would wait till the male is nuetered at least one month to make sure that all the hormones are gone and that none of the behaviour is hormone related. I have a newly bonded pair and let me tell you it is as stressfull for you as it is for them,lol.

you can put them in a carrier or a box or something and put them on TOP of the washer for a spin cycle or two and then have a short session and keep letting thte sessions go longer. I did this for about a week and within a week they were spending all day together, i played it by ear.

Awesome replies guys thanks for your input.

I'll just let Racer go to my gf's and my sister will put her Mini Lop at her bf's. It'll be easier that way.

I have not had a pet for years and its funny, im only going away for 4-5 days but im already worreid for Racer! I dont want to leave him too long in case something happens...

Haha what he if forgets about me and i have to rebond with him all over again!? (That doesnt happen does it?)

This method worked great for my first bonded pair after a trying to bond unsuccessfully with "dates" for about a month. However, the person whose house they went to was a very experienced volunteer at the animal shelter where I adopted by second bun and where I also volunteered. They stayed at her house for a weekend and from that point on they were inseparable.

I think it can work. However, an even better way is to change the cages of both of them around in a major way, so that it's almost like a new place. Then try to throw them together.

I think the concept sounds like a good idea, but I wouldn't leave it to your girlfriend to handle. If she doesnt know rabbits than she probably will have no clue what to do, and even if she does it doesnt sound like much fun.

Maybe you could bring them over there when you were around to make sure nothing went to wrong.

Latest posts

Back