Your first bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member here and have been thoroughly enjoying reading through all of the posts and hope that what I'm posting now isn't repetitive. But I'm just hoping that others may put their two cents in on this topic: Is it just me, or is there a special fondness in a rabbit lover's heart for their very first bunny? My first bun was Buddy and he was spectacular. A little Holland Lop who's ears usually rested in a "helicopter" state. I had never even petted a bun before Buddy, but my husband had had rabbits as a child and it was his idea for us to get one. Hubby didn't know anything about keeping a bun inside though. But from the moment that the woman placed Buddy in my arms, I was hooked. He was so patient with our ignorance of bunny etiquette. I began reading everything I could get my hands on about house rabbits. We'd only had him a few days when he began displaying his kooky and awesome personality. I'll never forget the time he jumped into our popcorn bowl andgave us a look of "What did YOU do?":D Or how he used to charge me when I would sit on the couch with a bag of doritos. He would plunge his head into the bag determined to have some of what I had. By the way, he sneaked a taste once and was completely repulsed! Buddy was only 5 when he passed last December & I still miss him terribly. I love my buns, Carmel & Charlie, very very much. But I know that Buddy will always have a special place in my heart for teaching me what incredible companions these little guys truly are when they are given the chance to let their bun light shine!

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum :) Don't ever worry about posting repetitive topics :)

I'm so sorry about Buddy's loss. I know how much that can really hurt :(

The first rabbit I bought myself, and cared for myself was a bunny called Flash. From day one we were inseparable and remained that way until he died a few months later after a tragic accident. He was the best friend I ever had (no kidding, the human friends in my life sucked, lol) and he will forever remain in my heart. Thankfully, before he passed, he fathered two children, one of which still lives with me, and is the most precious thing in my life. He himself has just fathered 7 kits and they are rapidly becoming incredibly special to me. I am trying to keep Flash's genepool going to keep his sunny nature alive.

I have discovered though, that other bunnies also become very special that are not related to Flash. Not all bunnies, but I personally think it has to do with personality. If a bunnies personality clicks with yours, it works really well, and you will be tightly bonded. And you may find, if you get more bunnies in the future, that you find a personality that clicks with you and find another bunny that is totally ultimately special to you. I hope you do, because they are priceless.

Buddy will be forever in your heart and memories, and I bet he had a really happy life :) I can relate to what you are saying, but I do hope you find other special buns in the future, because they are out there :)

I got my 1st bunny when I was 4 years old, and another 2 in my early 20s. Yet it is the bun I have now, Milly that Ihave bonded with the most.

Maybe it's because Milly is my 1st house rabbit, and I am able to spend more time with him. It also will be as he was'nt 100% healthy when I first got him, I have a tendancy to overboard with lovefor sick babies. I treat him like a child, always fussing and fretting over him. lol

He is very affectionate too and will always be my special bun not matter how many more I may own in the future. :)

The same as I will always have one special guinea pig, Amber. I've had many since she diedand love them all, but no one will ever equal her.

My first bunnies name was Twink he was a mix breed REW. Our neighbors at the time had some rabbits and they were breeding out of control and I had gotten attached to Twink when he was just a kit so my parents gave him to me as a 16th birthday present we didn't have much money when I was young but twink was the best gift ever. he lived with me in my room, until I moved out with my fiance then my mom cared for him until she passed by then me and Hubby had our own place so I brought him home with me and he lived with us until he was 9 years old I was 25 when hepassedaway in my arms. Twink will allways be rememberd and until I see him again I know he is up in heaven with my mother & step father.

The first bunny that I had was a blue mini (Holland lop in America) lop buck called Smokey. I bought him as a birthday present for my flatmate. I was the lucky one that got to clean out his cage and feed, and generally look after him (which I didn't mind). He was bought from a pet store so wasn't anything remarkable (as breeding standards go...as he was and will always be remarkable to me). He got sick and despite treatment he got worse. It was my decision to finally have him put down, it was a gut wrenching decision and I held him and feeling his heartbeat slow and finally stop was so very heartbreaking...I was in tears.

Luckily he lives on with his son, a broken blue mini lop called Smokey Junior. My goal is to breed a show winner from his lines.

He also inspired the name for my stud: Smokeydownes Rabbitry.

Hi,

My first bunny for me turned out to be a rescue. She was a tiny black Holland Lop...the last one at a pet store being terrorized by kids on Halloween night. She was very wet around the nose and had an injured leg. I held her for a while and put her back into the pen...and she looked up at me and I really heard her begging me not to leave her. I took her that night and promised her that she would never be hurt again.The TV show"Sabrina, The Teenage Witch" was on when we gothome...so since it fit with Halloween, we named her Sabrina. We didn't know at the time, but she was very sick. She was a "special needs". We also found out quickly that there were no doctors to help us. She was only with us for a little over three years but she has left a lasting impression. She was a very sick bunny her entire life...but it never got her down and shefought hard to the very end. We now know that we lost her to a disease that was not even known back them...and is only now being researched. That is e cuniculi. I made a promise to her that night I lost her....she asked me to help others like I helped her....and she is the inspiration of our rescue and the reason that I do so much advanced research into rabbit issues.It's my way of keeping her spriit alive and keeping my promise to her to help other rabbits. Sabrina will never be forgotten....and will always be "Daddy's Girl".

Randy

On July 7th 2005 at 8pm we bought alittle guy that would become Ringo Starr. The next day at 11am we were surprised with Samanth Jane. So it's hard tosay he wasfirst when soquikly it became 2.Yesterday Samantha has been gone 1 month. In7 days it will betwo years forRingo in 8 days would be two years for Samantha.

Latest posts

Back