Your first bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryAnne

Reaction score
Sentimental Saturday. I was about 6. It was Easter Eve, and my Aunt, Uncle, and cousins were in. I heard a noise downstairs and started out of my room toward the steps when I heard my Aunt Laura's deep voice: Get back in bed! But I hear something, I said. BED! The next morning I came downstairs to see my very own real live bunny. It was the start of a lifetime of buns, and I probably have my dad to thank for that, he loved buns too.

I was about 20 my now ex husband wanted a ferret and we had a disagreement about and ended up at a pet store still arguing all the way.The pet shop owner suggested a rabbit instead and made us a "deal" on cage rabbit and supplies so home we went with Azrael.He was fun at first I kept him in a playpen when I couldn't watch him so he could get some free time or he hopped around the living room..then he got hormonal and became this monster rabbit I feared with my life so I found a lady through social networking who took him.9 years later I found Cookie or she found my heart idk which and I am glad I took a step to over come my rabbit fear and held her.

The first bunny in our house was my young daughter, the bunny was called Lola. When my OH and I split up, Lola moved with me. She didn't live long. (long story)
Later, my then boyfriend bought me the cutest bun, I called her Marylou. I found her body on a hot summer's day, never knew what caused her to die, but I was devastated. She was just under 4.

My first rabbit was when I was about 21. Impulse buy at the pet store from my boyfriend at the time. Was a crazy rabbit from the start. Never liked people and hated me. always bit me and everyone else and ran the house peeing, biting everything and pooping everywhere. eventually he/she (don't know what it was) ended up outside in this MASSIVE dog run to be a 'wild" bunny. no human interactions except for feeding and watering... but the bunny was happy out there and it had the biggest place ever to live. We had floods and huge storms the next year and the rabbit died during one of the storms. I remember it being a black and white bunny, not very big but had ears that pointed up.
It was not a very good first rabbit experience.

2 years go, my boyfriend and I were discussing getting a pet, but were having a hard time deciding. Dogs were a no go because we both hate repetitive noises. Cats were a no go because bf is into music and has expensive speakers cats would love to scratch. So we finally agreed in a turtle. I had remember seeing baby turtles (illegal in Cali, they have be 4" at least to be sold) at the swamp meet, so we went to go get us a turtle. We passed by this vendor that had Sebastian in a little cage and I feel in love. Absolutely sold my bf on it because he was just that cute. He's still the love of my life, the bunny,not the bf (he's still around too). LOL~

Snoopy was my fist rabbit. i had searched long and hard for a holland lop. and i finally found him. RIP
035_zps56da0b88.jpg

This year! Daughter started 4-h in October. She got Mason right before the first meetiing. In March I got my own bun! Only because Seffie is a quiet bun. And doesn't jump all over you.

My first rabbit was short lived. I moved out for university and my grandmother gave me a rabbit she had rescued (she lived on a hobby farm and was well known in the goat/miniature cattle/exotic industry - so was always called upon for rescues).
His name was francis and he was probably a mini lop. Once my mom found out she forbid me to move back home with it so a friend from school took him in...ern HER in. She went to have Francis neutered and he was a she.
Shes sinced passed on.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought of Fred and Smokey, litter mates we got last summer. Then I remembered a wild cottontail that I tried to raise when I was about 12 years old. Some neighbor kids showed me its nest and told me it had been abandoned. I took it home, put it in a box with some grass and tried to feed it milk (out of the fridge!). I hid it from my parents because I thought they wouldn't let me keep it. The next day I showed it to a friend of mine and she asked to keep it for a day. It died while it was with her and her dad buried it in their pet cemetery. I made a head stone for it. "His" name was Jasper. I'm so glad I now know, because of this forum, to leave wild cottontails alone and that the mother won't abandon them if they have been touched and gotten the human scent on them.

my first was when i was just 4 or 5yrs, not mine personally but the families. She was a New Zealand white. Snowball was her name. I don't remember alot about her but i do remember her dead body being found in the raspberry patch, she had been attacked. A dog or something had gotten in the yard and ripped the hutch wire apart. It must have injured the rabbit and she went off to hid in the vegie patch. I remember her white white fur with the red blood! I think it was my first encounter with what death really was.

We later had Netherlands that we breed when i was aged 9-14 (or my parents did and i helped out).

it wasn't till November 2013 (aged 30) that i got Lilly and Ruby. Lilly died overnight last night (see my post update in "A single kit dead") if you want to read about her she was only 7mths and i think she must have gotten septic of something from the birth last week, she didn't seem sick though till yesterday... i feel i failed her and should have noticed she wasn't well sooner :(

Felix is my first rabbit. :) He came home with me last November. I lived in Queensland, Australia until a few years ago, and rabbits are illegal there, so I never had a lovely bun experience growing up!

He's been a darling first rabbit! Thankfully he's great at eating new foods and recovering quick from things, like his neutering and vaccinations. He's very feisty and learns quickly, he practically litter trained himself and learned not to nip so quickly. :hearts:

1hb1gg.jpg

Takuto was my first bunny he was a rescue bun! My mom found him through her friends friend he was neglected and hated me at first. The previous owner was a little girl that owened numerous pets that died she got bored of the bun and they left him in the gradge in a pretty small cage with a wired floor. His previous name wasd Bunbun but i renamed him to Takuto since he was going to have a new life. The mother ended up taking care of Takuto since the daughter got bored of him but she didnt have time for the bunny and was a nurse. I got Takuto when i was 21 and he is still alive today but barely hanging on since recently both his eyes are blind and his hearing is very bad. He is currently 10 years old now and will probably go soon :(....

I was 25. She was a broken tort Holland Lop doe that I got from the state fair. She was unable to have live babies, so the breeder decided to sell her. She died about 6 months later. Her name was Ainsley Willow.

My first bunny was a blue eyed, white dwarf named Vicky. She died of pneumonia when she was 6 years old :( She was very curious, not shy at all and very affectionate. I miss her so much.

My first bunny was named Otis. I wanted a bunny for years, but my mom wouldn't let me get one. Finally, over a year ago, she agreed, but I had to prove I was responsible. To do this, I had to stack a pile of moldy, disgusting wood. Every damp, fungusy log was worth it.

My first bun is the bun I have currently. I was talking to my friend about wanting a bunny so bad and not ten minutes later she texts me with pictures of her. A girl we went to school with was getting rid of hers. I rushed home and begged my mom. After her telling me no and me crying for hours (I'm a wimp for a 19 year old XD) and finally came in with apathetic eyes and said yes xDImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1398670262.139262.jpg

My Baby Clover <3

My first rabbit was a girl that I named Alex (after my German exchange partner from high school). I got her when I was about 15/16. My sister and I went to some lady's house who had free roaming rabbits and chickens in her backyard and the rabbits just breeding whenever. They were also poorly handled and probably too young... I didn't really want to buy from there, but it's the sort of thing where at the time I wasn't bold enough to say that we should go somewhere else. So I ended up with a little agouti female. She was very skittish at first but I sat near her hutch a lot and she got used to me, though she wasn't super tame. When I first saw her binky, I worried there was something wrong with her :p Unfortunately I didn't have her all that long, either a year or two. I was away on a week long youth camp, and when I got back my mum told me she had stopped eating and died.

My first was actually a gift for my sister when she was 5. I was 8. He was a lop we called Jacques. We didn't realize the Scotty dog on Lady and the Tramp was actually called Jock. But the dog hopped, so we named the bunny after him. . . Sort of. He was light brown with a dark brown stripe on his back. We had a little dog too. The dog was very protective of the bunny. He wouldn't let anyone but family near him. I don't know how long we had him before he died. It wasn't very long. For years, I thought it was because he was outside with us while we played with huge bubbles. It could have been the heat or the soap getting in the grass. Now, though, I know what happened. We feed him all wrong. He didn't get hay. He did get iceberg lettuce and plenty of carrots. We didn't know. I was home alone with him when he died. Even though we knew he was sick, I felt guilty for a while. I was 8, after all, and convinced myself I could have done more for him. I'm glad I researched before getting my buns this time. Having Internet really helps.

Her name was Toby she was a broken tort mini lop. She was almost ten years old when she went to the bridge back in 2010. Toby was my heart rabbit and took a large piece of my heart with her. She gave kisses, came when called, stole carrots out of the refrigerator crisper draw, and kept the dog and cat in line. I miss her dearly. :hearts

toby.jpg

Back