Your buns FAVORITE veggie/fruit dish?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior_Babbeeyy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

BABBEY will be 12 weeks in less than a month! & I can't wait till I can slowly start introducing veggies & fruit when the time comes :)

I was just wondering what's your rabbits favorite veggie/fruit dishes? Or there favorite vegetables or fruits in general ?

& How often weekly do you feed them the vegetables ?

& what vegetable you would suggest I start with that would i entice him :)

image.jpg

Babbey is so adorable! Even though I still consider myself a bunny newbie, I think Romaine lettuce is a good first veggie. Just a few bite size pieces each day for a week & gradually as you see he is digesting it without any problems. After the first week of Romaine, do the same thing with another healthy green veggie or herb & do it the same way over that week. You can still give him the Romaine lettuce but just add the new healthy bunny green or herb. My bunnies have done fine with their veggies & fruits using this method. Other more experienced members will be along to give you some additional advice of their bunny experience. I usually give them their veggies especially when I am adding/trying a new veggie during our time out together. I usually hand feed the first few times with a veggie or fruit myself & hang out with them for a bit to monitor them but that's just me. Mostly I give fruit as treats so not too much.

Not a fruit/veggie, but if you're looking for a treat several months down the line, definitely try a pinch of oats. I've been bitten several times from picking up the bag - she'll actually hop a foot in the air and start growling at me to get them. Also grapes, bananas, and blueberries. Fruit should be very limited, and only if she's healthy - it's good as a training treat. If you cut it up into super tiny pieces, you can give her several "treats" without going overboard.

Yes i know that fruits are very limited and should definitely not given everyday! Wow! yeah ill have to try a pinch of oats later on down the road sounds like your bun loves them lol!

Also i herd that lettuce isnt good for them so is romaine different?

My bunny gets kale at meals (and sometimes romaine lettuce as well as other random veggies safe for bunnies we have) and he loves it! He even eats it before carrots/apples (which he is also crazy about) if they're all placed in at the same time.

Some lettuce is fine, but not all. Iceberg lettuce is bad for rabbits and should be avoided, it has virtually no nutrients anyway and leads to soft/runny poo. Romaine lettuce is good though, not sure why it matters but it does :p Herbs are always good too, parsley, basil, coriander/cilantro. You can give kale, brussel sprouts etc, but it should only be in smaller amount and only a couple of times a week because they can be gassy and I think kale has something in it (can't remember what) that shouldn't be given continually in large quantities.

All my three love dill as well but their favourite is basil, been to the market today to get a lovely fresh bunch and they´ve already had a few leaves...they like most herbs, cilantro, parsley and sage.

They also eat rocket, lambs lettuce, escarole, endives and they also get celery leaves and cauliflower leaves. They also like broccoli but the cruciferous veggies they only get a couple of times a week although it has never caused problems.

Go careful on the kale as it like spinach is very high in calcium. I find with larger breed rabbits like french lops, they have a bit of a tendency toward bladder sludge. I have eliminated feeding Derby kale or spinach after losing Benjamin.

Hegel just likes lettuces and spinach. He won't really eat anything else. We have tried bananas, green pepper, cilantro, and carrots. Juniper will eat anything. And Olivia is a bit too young yet.

You can also give the green tops of carrots. Thumper seemed to like mint the most out of veggies and herbs.

Thumper will not eat something new for the first time unless it is in his veggie bowl and sometimes it will take him part of the day to get around to trying it. After that he'll eat out of my hand. Just a reminder that buns can be funny!

Last edited:
My family eats the "Spring Mix" lettuces. The bunnies get some of that. They love almost any raw veggie that we are having. I just cut some off for them before I cook it for the family. I dont think that anyone eats celery, though. But they all have different tastes and maybe there just isn't anyone that likes it! Blueberries and Raspberries are always a hit. They like most melons and will eat the rind as well as the yummy part. I have one bunny that eats banana skin, but not the usual part. We have a bit of a garden patch in the yard. We planted clover and it just re-grows every spring. That is a special favorite for all the bunnies.

frank eats mostly green leaf lettuce, but he likes spinach when i give him some *he doesnt get a lot, only when I buy some for my own salads/sandwiches and i share lol* but he also likes romaine/kale/cilantro/mint/carrot/red leaf/boston etc..
as far as fruits go he loves dried banana chips and dried papaya. right now his treat canister has craisins in it though and he goes INSANE for those.

Reading all these replies makes me even more antsy about BABBEY turning 12 weeks old! But hey good news his testes are slowly descending so it looks like by 12 weeks I can get him neutered! :)

Bit late, but re: lettuce, it's great for them but it depends on the type. The rule of thumb seems to be darker lettuce is fine (vitamins), light is not. So romaine and spring greens are great, iceberg is not (for people or bunnies...).

Barley loves oats, romaine, spinach, kale, pea pods (the flat ones), pea shoots, carrots, coloured sweet peppers, fresh mint, bananas, apple, orange (watch for seeds), blueberries, seedless grapes, and he also ate the cave-like cat bed I bought him. :( And a shoe-lace. And part of a plastic bag but that was a long time ago. He also eats timothy hay and pellets.

Reeses just likes FOOD!!! His favorite staple is cilantro and his favorite once in a while treats...banana, pineapple or craisins! Cheerios LOVES his pellets LOL and he likes chickory and Cheerios! Funfetti likes just about anything EXCEPT cilantro! And Pretzel isn't old enough to have veggies and fruits yet. It is funny to me how different they are in their likes and dislikes. As I did with my human children, I introduced ALL veggies first, then fruits! I didn't want anyone developing a "sweet tooth" right off the bat!

As for Old Fashioned rolled oats and Cheerios, you can give a little bit of that as a treat now...that is safe to give to babies :)

House Rabbit Society has a nice list of what to give, how often and how much.

Very cute bunny! Good Luck!!!

My rabbits love romaine, green leaf, and red leaf lettuce, basil, parsley, and the occasional raspberry or piece of strawberry. I want to try introducing cilantro and dill as well. When the black raspberries in my backyard get ripe, I give my bunnies a few, and it's the cutest thing ever because the juice gets on their lips.

I tried feeding kale once but Lucy bunny got gas, so no more kale.

Last edited:
Favorite here are parsley, cilantro, kale, turnip greens, green and red leaf lettuce, boston lettuce, butter lettuce, spinach, endive, dill, basil, mint, and broccoli. Blueberries and bananas are her favorite fruit.

She gets the occasional dried cranberry or Cheerio as a treat. She comes running when she hears the bag.

Back