younger bunny not eating much hay lately

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopeG

Reaction score
I have a young Holland Lop bunny about 11 weeks old, I've only had him for about a week and a half now. I know I read on the House Rabbit Society page that until they are 7 months, they should have unlimited hay and pellets. The last few days I've noticed my bunny isn't eating very much hay but he devours his pellets usually. I don't give him unlimited pellets, he gets a little under a fourth cup morning and evening and I keep the hay pretty full always. Last week he was eating the hay really good, but the last 2 or 3 days not so much. I have him on Timothy hay and young rabbit pellets, both by Oxbow. I tried putting some hay in with his pellets and it looks like he just threw the hay out. Should I be concerned or is he still so young that he might get back into the hay? Should I cut down on pellets? He weighs about 1.7 pounds by the way. Any input would really help, I don't want him to develop problems because he isn't eating hay. I plan on introducing green veggies one at a time at 12 weeks, as per the House Rabbit Society page. Thanks in advence for any help or tips!

Have you tried alfalfa hay? It's a bit different type of hay and my girl goes wild for it! I've also read/heard that alfalfa hay is better for younger bunnies anyway, so maybe see if yours likes that and see if that can be a bridge to eating timothy hay again. Is he pooping normally? Changes in eating and pooping I've seen often on this forum are a big clue that there could be something else happening. Good luck!

Alfalfa is good till 6 months then you transition them to orchard grass or timothy hay. Alfalfa is higher in calcium and protein which is good for growing bunnies, but at six months they are grown and no longer need the higher amounts.

Back