Young Rabbit With Head Tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstin

Reaction score
Hey all,

My poor Holland, Hoss, has relapsed with head tilt. At about6 weeks old, he had mild head tilt (or wry neck), so I consulted a rabbit-savvy vet and fed him some wormer. It seemed to go away for about 5 weeks. Yet within hours, on February 7th, hebegan toshow very obvious signs of head tilt. His head is tilted atleast90degrees, if not more. His eyes are alsorapidly darting back and forth. Hisheart rate has increased as well as hisbreathing. His eyes also seem to be a bit weepy.Right before the symptoms made themselves manifest, he was munching on some hay, but seemed a bit irritated.

Anyways, I have him scheduled to go to the vet Friday morning. Hopefully they can offer decent treatment. The rabbit doctor thereis very good at what she does.

Since Friday is a few days away, what should I do until then? He originally lives outside in a heated shed, but the floor is solid, and I'm afraid that could collect bacteria in simple ways if I were to put him back out there. ~Sigh~

Any advice?

Here's a picture of thepoor cutie right when the symptoms were starting up again...

13405_071903_510000000.jpg

UPDATE... Same day, 9:10 PM

Hoss's symptoms decreased just as rapidly as they came back... his head is still tilted varying from about 30-90 degrees. The darting eye has gone, and he seems more relaxed, yet lethargic. He has a small appetite.

How cute is he?! I don't have any experience w/ tilt. The treatment should be ongoing for his lifetime. Let us know what the vet says.

I'll send a message to another Mod that does have major experience w/ tilt.:)

I would find the exact cause of the tilt. More than likely it is some sort of ear infection. You would need to treat for the exact cause.

Most times it is an infection in the inner ear. Several different bacterias can cause an infection. Doing a culture can help find the exact cause leading to better treatment.

I've heard that it can be an inner ear infection. Hopefully the vet will test for causes when I bring him on Friday.

What should I do for now?

For now keep an eye that it doesn't get worse. That the bunny continues to eat and drink.

Ah.... so sad. I was about to create a thread for my baby Ellie and found this thread. She has similar symptom. I hope he gets better soon.

I'm taking him to the vet today. I hope they'll adopt him, and make him their mascot. =) A bunny like that needs constant supervision and care of the professionals! And he deserves the best.

I'm also taking a 3 mo. old from the same litter -- her "poop-opening" is very red and somewhat swelling. It bled a little bit a couple days ago, yet her poops are dry and round. Very odd. I've been trying to put some cream on it, but so far it's done nothing, and I'm worried. I'll clean it out before I go.

Thanks for the hopeful wishes guys. =)

Ellie is 100% recovered now after she took antibiotics and got some ear drops. I hope your baby gets well soon.

Thanks. =) I got some more wormer for him -- I think he'll be okay. I just hope somebody will eventually adopt him despite the possibility of relapse.

Wormer is not going to do much if it isn't the right med.

Latest posts

Back