Young Rabbit Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayme

Reaction score
I have a female bunny who is about 3 months old and a male who is about 4 months old. Since neither are old enough to breed, can I let them play together until they reach puberty? They seem interested in each other and I think it'll help make my male more comfortable. They both lived with other buns when they were in the pet store, and they seem friendly towards each other.

While they are still young, the could be now. Males tend to develop faster, so he should be able to breed by now. Females take a bit longer, but some can be early bloomers and be able to mate at 3 months old. Since rabbits are induced ovulators and there are no obvious signs of them being ready, they can breed at any time. This means that it is never safe to have intact rabbits of the opposite sex together past about 10 weeks old without risking breeding. Males even need 1-2 months after neutering to become fully sterile.

I would keep them apart until one or both of them can be neutered. Some vets will neuter males once the testicles drop, so that might be able to be done soon.

Okay well then I'll wait til they're fixed, thanks!

Latest posts

Back