Young Bunny Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm already limiting pellets [or so I thought], but I have an English Lop and they are prone to obesity.

I used to have a French Lop and we gave her unlimited pellets with no problems. For many rabbit breeds you won't have to. I would say just free feed and only do scheduled/limited feeding if they start gaining too much weight.

I am going to start introducing fruit and vegetables for Michiko at 4 months old. You should never give vegetables to a rabbit under 3 months old. After that you can give it a try, but do it very gradually so as not to upset their sensitive digestive system.

My buns are 7 months and I'm switching them over to timothy pellets now and limiting somewhat. I give them some over what their suppose to have since they use to be on unlimited. They should have a 1/4 cup together but I give them 1/2 cup together til I fully wean them over, then I'm cutting back then.

Also you can introduce veggies at 3-4 months. Do it slowly one veggie at a time. I don't give fruit to my bunnies. It's not good for them but everyone is different. If you give fruit, small peices.

:) April

I should specify - I am giving Michiko dehydrated fruit. One tiny piece once a week. :) That's it. It's used as a special once-in-a-blue-moon treat and I like that it's something I can give her with my hands so it helps us bond.

:wave:i've no idea how to do a link that you can click on! but if you go to the lagomorph section of the forum - look under rabbit 101 there is a section on bunny diet.

sorry i cant do the link thing! i must get my kids to show me what to do:p

I started limiting pellets and switching from alfalfa to timothy pellets around 6 months. My 4lb bun is currently getting a bit more than 1/4 cup. However, I also upped his veggies a ton and he's getting at least 2.5 cups per day so that he's not going hungry.

The House Rabbit Society has good guidelines for diet HERE.

Kelli, the recommendation is to limit pellets for adult rabbits, not to free-feed. You can feed unlimmited hay though.

It's also not true that you should never feed greens to a rabbit under 3 months. If the mother was fed greens, and the babies get to nibble the mom's food while they are in with her, they can have greens and veggies right from the start.

It is never good to abruptly change the diet, so if they are used to greens, just keep feeding greens.
If they are not used to greens, then follow the HRS recommendations, and start gradually adding greens at about 12 weeks. (though personally, I have started at 8 weeks, with no problems at all, even while not knowing the shelter diet.)

Thanks, I had heard/read so many conflicting reports.

I just got a new baby bunny (lost one very recently and hubby got me a new abbay to love).
He is 11 weeks old and I do not know if he had veggies or if mom had veggies.
He is on unlimited timothy hay and pellets right now and doing very well.
I think I will start adding veggies in another couple of weeks. One at a time of course.

Latest posts

Back