Yogurt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would avoid feeding it because many rabbits are lactose intolerant and it may upset their tummies. I would stick to healthierand more suitable treats likea wedge ofapple or a slice of banana :D.

No, rabbits are lactose intolerant.

There are so many other treats to give, such as fresh fruits (banana's, stawberries, etc) and let's not forget, most rabbits go crazy for... CRAISENS!

:)

I have to disagree with you guys. We took Buttercup to the vet (a rabbit savy vet)once for an upset tummy and the vet told us to give him BioBest Plain Yogurt. He said it works the same way the medication does. And it really does work, within 5 minutes of giving it to him he is better.

Susan:apollo:

Hi Guys,

Thought I would add my two cents worth here. Like so many things, yogurt can be given in small amounts. Not the best of ideas and we don't offer it to anyof our buns due to the lactose concern...but a small amount should not hurt. The idea behind yogurt had always been to "add" bacteria back into the gut. Problem is...the bacteria in yogurt is not the same strain as found in a rabbit's gut. It has aways been assumed that lactobacillus acidophilus has been the right replacement. It's not...but it does work by acidifying the gut and making a more favorable environment for beneficial bacteria to grow. There are much better ways to do this. Critical Care has it....and you can buy a non-dairy powder from heath food stores. The really good bacteria that is needed is lactobacillus casei. I do use some of the supplements to control the pH conversion process in weaning cottontails....basically I control the acidic conversion.

Many, including vets, offer advice like yogurt and Karo syrup (yikes!!) because it is still in many of the manuals they use that are so woefully out of date. Sorta like some of "grandma's" home remedies....usually ineffective so the best you could hope for is that is would cause no harm. Yogurt is not something wewould use here.

Randy

I think I remember hearing that yogurt drops are not a good idea? I can't remember why, though, so stop me if I'm wrong here. :D

Yogurt drops are like givinga spoonful of sugar if I'm not mistaken.

I have stepped away from all marketed foods other than their pellets which I now use as a supplement. I simply want to return to their natural diets. :)

Hehe, no worries. I used to give them myself. Just make sure to give them sparingly and maybe next time you can consider fresh fruit or something else for a treat. I still do buy their "candies" but they get them only very rarely. :)

ok, i'll treat them the same way some one would treat Cadbury Eggs; good, but NOT some thing to stuff yourself on:biggrin2:! LOL

Anna

P.S. Thanks MsBinky, i've already given her one and was just about convinced i'dfedher delayed release poison!:shock:

yeah yougurt drops are not very good for buns

but winnie is addicted to the strawberry ones, so she gets one every once in a while. . .

Latest posts

Back