Yogurt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nes

Reaction score
I know they can eat yogurt drops :) but can my rabbits have little bit of my lunch? (peach yogurt).

If anyone can find a really complete poision/ok list with things like lemons & kiwi that would be helpful, I don't have a conventional diet and would like to know if I can feed my rabbits pomegranits and stuff! :)

Nes.

oh, the answer is no they can't eat my lunch :) Why can they eat yogurt drops then? Or are those bad for them?

Anyway, I'm still looking for some really good lists if anyone has them.

Nes.

Yogurt drops are not good for rabbits so really they shouldn't have them. They are crammed with sugar.

As for yogurt, I've heard that yogurt is good to help replenish healthy bacteria in the gut but it should be given sparingly. Rabbits should not get milk other than their mothers so keep that in mind when feeding yogurt.

They were only getting yogurt drops as a special treat as it was :)

Oh I just did a quick google search, if you guys think it's ok I'll see if they like the yogurt :)

Nes.

I'd wait for someone else's input, I've heard that its ok but others may have heard differently.

I just gave them a couple drops anyway, it's not like I'm going to give them a quarter cup of yogurt or anything :)

It's a BIG hit though!! Abi cleaned the spoon, the girls are just pissed at me for waking them up :D

Nes.

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Nes wrote:
If anyone can find a really complete poision/ok list with things like lemons & kiwi that would be helpful
Rabbits can't have kiwi's? :shock:

I don't know, I've never seen it on any lists so I'm a little heistant to give it too them since they can't eat alot of fruit pits/seeds and kiwi are full of them :?

Nes.

Kiwi is safe. But I'm not sure about all the seeds, I know that aple seeds should not be fed because they contain cyanide.

That's good to hear!! I thought they might really like some - how about the skins?

My dog got a hold of some the other day & she's never been so regular :D So fruits a new part of her diet ;).

What about lemons? I'm always eating them and would like to see if my rabbits would eat them - it might be funny seeing them puker up at the sour. I know it's helarious watching out dog pick them up & spit them out again - but she eats them! :)

nes.

From a site called "Medirabbit.com":

[align=center]Can rabbits eat yogurt or dairy products ?[/align]

[align=center]
Yogurt or dairy products should never be fed to rabbits, for the following reasons:

· Lactobacillus/Acidobacillus are not a natural host of the adult rabbit intestinal and, if surviving the passage through the acid stomach, it will not survive the anaerobic conditions of the cecum. The lack of adhesive capability may further prevent Lactobacilli from colonizing in the intestinal tract.

· Adult rabbits naturally do not have the right bacteria to digest milk derivates in the cecum and intestine.

· In the absence of those Lactobacteria, milk derivates accelerate the onset of stasis in adult rabbits.

Studies have furthermore shown that rabbits that were given cow’s milk on a daily basis during several months evidenced the development of rheumatoid like lesions. These rabbits showed increased numbers of nucleated cells and raised percentages of T lymphocytes in their synovial fluids, compared to control rabbits, and their elevation corresponded with the severity of the histological lesions. No glomerulonephritis was observed.

[/align]

[align=left]***I would also be cautious about giving rabbits too much variety of new foods. They are known to have delicate digestive systems, and you wouldn't want to inadvertently cause upset. [/align]

From House Rabbit Society:

List of Fruits okay to feed:

Apple (remove stem and seeds)
Blueberries
Melon
Orange (including peel)
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries

Sugary fruits such as bananas and grapes should be used only sparingly, as occasional treats. Bunnies have a sweet tooth and if left to their own devices will devour sugary foods to the exclusion of healthful ones.

List of Veggies:

Select at least three kinds of vegetables daily. A variety is necessary in order to obtain the necessary nutrients, with one each day that contains Vitamin A, indicated by an *. Add one vegetable to the diet at a time. Eliminate if it causes soft stools or diarrhea.

Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
Basil
Beet greens (tops)*
Bok choy
Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)*
Brussels sprouts
Carrot & carrot tops*
Celery
Cilantro
Clover
Collard greens*
Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)*
Endive*
Escarole
Green peppers
Kale (!)*
Mint
Mustard greens*
Parsley*
Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
Peppermint leaves
Raddichio
Radish tops
Raspberry leaves
Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf)*
Spinach (!)*
Watercress*
Wheat grass

(!)=Use sparingly. High in either oxalates or goitrogens and may be toxic in accumulated quantities over a period of time

Heres the link fora list of all things poisonous:

http://www.adoptarabbit.com/articles/toxic.html

-Hope this helps. Oh, and www.rabbit.org has all of this info and more. Their search tool is great for finding info!

-Haley

This is interesting, we were told (by a Bunny savey vet)that if our Bunnies are not feeling well, to give them BIO BEST NATURAL yogurt.

I must say when ever Buttercupis under the weather we give it tohim and within minutes he is feeling better.

Soooska:apollo:

Yogurt used to be routinely advised for rabbits on antibiotics. As Bassetluv posted, yogurt is no longer recommended for rabbits as they may develop lactose intolerance as they age. So, any dairy products may do more harm than good if the rabbit is already suffering from GI problems.

Pam

Pam, I LOVE it when you explain things like this! Another mystery solved!

It helps so much to know WHY something is or isn't recommended!

:hug:

It's something that's been so misunderstood (one of my two vets says use it, the other says don't :dunno), and after hours and hours reading pages and pages and still not figuring it out, you've made ita done deal in three sentences.:)

You really are the most awesome advisor - ever!

:thanks:

sas :)and the gang of fur :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

pamnock wrote:
Yogurt used to be routinely advised for rabbits on antibiotics. As Bassetluv posted, yogurt is no longer recommended for rabbits as they may develop lactose intolerance as they age. So, any dairy products may do more harm than good if the rabbit is already suffering from GI problems.

Pam

This is another item I found on the natural remedies site:

"Avoid lactose. Eating dairy foods can produce gas in the large bowels."

Now, I know this is in reference to peoples, but I'm starting to see a lot of things in common.

Our vet prescribes Benebac instead of recommending the use of yogurt.
She doesn't recommend yogurt for treats either and says that it could actually have a adverse effect on the bun.

I used to give yogurt treats to the buns.....tossed them out years ago.

I know that natural Live yoghurt settles cats stomachs . . I wouldn't give my buns it though. Oh, sorry to butt in, but can rabbits have cherries as a treat? (if you take the stones out) It says 'black cherries' in this book i have (but aren't black cherries all cherries?)

Latest posts

Back