Yet ANOTHER litter problem!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Toby hates pelleted litters. I tried them when he was little, and he ate them. Now, he HATES them and throws it everywhere. I don't know what else to do. I can't buy CareFresh, because it's too expensive, but I can't keep picking up pellets off the floor. This isn't a litter pellet or two, but the whole pan. I can't secure them more than they already are... Are pine shavings really that bad if changed twice daily in well-ventilated areas? Toby's litter pans are in a big, open room. Are the phenols going to be that bad when the litter is changed that frequently? I can't handle stepping on those stupid little pellets!

:grumpy:

I feel your pain! And I have a solution, go down to your home building store, (I think America's got Lowes?) And go by some square netting you don't need much at all then you chop slits in the corners and fold them across each other. You then get this wire tray thingee, fill the litter pan with litter then put on top and Voila you have untouchable litter, If Tobys a little rat and likes to throw his litter tray like Ruby get some sticky velcro strips and velcro it to the floor. Can you get hold of non pine shavings? If it's in a well ventilated room and changed often I can't really see why not...But I'm not a litter expert.....Good Luck tho!

We can get aspen shavings here, but I hate the smell. It gives me a headache. His "room" litter pan is right by the window, which is normally cracked, so a breeze blows over his soiled litter, therefore ventilating it well. My vet said that she didn't see a problem with using pine shavings like that. Toby doesn't exactly leave me with other options (short of the wire mesh over the litter). I guess the rabbit that we are looking at tomorrow has aspen shavings for the same reason. She eats other litters, too!

Could you just make a grate to put on top of the litter so he can't dig it out? That's what I do, otherwise Loki digs the whole litter box out just about every day.

Also Petsmart has a monster-sized high sided litter box. I got it for Oberon but he's behaving more now that he's living with Fey, so I'm switching it to Loki's pen soon. Loki has to stand up to look over the three tall sides, lol!

The grate sounds like a good idea, but doesn't it get all nasty from them peeing on it? I would assume so. How often do you have to clean it? Is the grate big enough for the poo to fall through? Or does it sit on top of the grate? Also, Toby gets mild sore hocks (no idea how), so would a grate be a good idea?

I prefer using no litter. The litter box is tilted a little so the pee collects in one corner. It's so much easier just to dump the pee and poop into the toilet. Aquick water rinse and it's back in service.

Yes there's odor but only if you don't empty the box often. Usually I don't smell it unless I'm over the cage.

I use a grate over my litter box and love it. It keeps things clean and I didn't like the idea of my bunny sitting in used litter.

I use a plastic dish tub for the pan and for the grate I use "egg crate" flourescent lighting covers. Its the white plastic grid that is used in flourescent lights at offices. The grid is about 1/2"x1/2" holes and I cut to fit the container. I also cut a few PVC pipes the right height for added support in the middle.

The pee and poops fall through and the grid doesn't get too dirty. I rinse the grid about once a week and then about once a month is gets a good "decrusting" with some vinegar.

I also have grates in all of my litter boxes and love them. They are very easy to keep clean. Also, Petco has their own store brand version of Carefresh that is much less expensive.

I tried Yesterday's News when I first got Sparky and Scooter. Sparky could kick that stuff all the way across the room!

Another thing I should mention, Toby visits the litter box often, but does not leave a lot of poo or urine behind. He never has. He only uses about 1/3 of his litter box, and he rarely sits on the stuff. I mean, when he "spite-pees" around our apartment, he only leaves a puddle the size of a half-dollar. Sometimes, he really has to go and leaves a puddle about the size of the big old "Eisenhower" dollars, for those of you who are a few years older than me, or collect coins, should know what I am talking about. He never has been a messy bunny. I think that's why the vet gave me the OK for the pine.

I am worried about his feet on a grate, though. Somehow, he wears the fur off of his hocks. They have never been full-blown sore hocks, but he loses the fur on his "heel" and I am worried about grating rubbing that more. Does anyone understand what I mean? Anyone have problems with that, too?

On our way home from picking up the other bun (that is, if she comes home with us), I will have to stop and pick up a few rabbit supplies at Wal*Mart. I am going to get a bigger litter box for when they bond. Right now, Toby has the small, $2, plastic cat litter pan from Wal*Mart. I want to pick up the bigger, $5 one. Where can I get grating for this? I don't think I want the florescent-lighting grate for him, because he is a smaller breed and has small (delicate) feet. I have also heard that you can use that plasic mesh for large(r) cross-stitching. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

The other rabbit (that we might get) is also used to aspen shavings. That is what her current owner's vet told her to use, and she has been using that for the better part of three years. Should I just switch her over to other litter now, or let her decompress at our house first, then switch litters?

Latest posts

Back