Yet another bedding question.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEAM KART

Reaction score
Seems like someone is always bringing up a bedding question....so I guess it's my turn!

We should be getting a bonded pair on bunnies tomorrow!!!

I have an outside hutch (don't worry, bunnies have been raised outsidesince birth) and was wondering about how much straw and hay should beplaced in the enclosed HUTCH area? Do you give a good couple of inchesaccross the entire floor area of the enclosed section or what?THANKS!!!!

Tom

Well, I don't have outside buns, but none ofmine like laying on bedding. They always pushed it out of theway.

Will you be using a litter box or does the hutch have a drop pan?

I have outdoor bunnies. They're in a convertedplayhouse so it's not exactly the same, but I use wood shavings forlitter and only put it in the littercorner.

I used to put down a lot of straw and hay but none of my three like tolie on the hay, they seem to prefer thewooden floorandscrape all the hayaway so I don't put too muchdown (apart from when it's cold obviously). In the sleeping area wehave carpet which Berri loves so she sleeps on it.

Everybunny will be different though so you should probably put a lot ofhay down at the start and they'll sleep wherever they want.:)

I hope that's helped!

EDIT: sorry, i forgot to ask if you got your bunnies yet!!!:colors:

With my two I only put bedding in their coverednight area, how much I used depends on the seasons. Now I have about2/3inches covering the floor with more banked up against the sideshowever in the winter I can have several inches covering thefloorplus even more on top so they can make 'nests' in thestraw and hay to snuggle up in and keep warm. I'd say just use yourjudgment, but when it's cold you can never have too much! If your bunthink there is too much they will happily rearrange everything on theirown.;)

i put a few inches of straw in my bunniesbedroom area and more in the winter. i dont usually out any in theliving area in the summer as my bunnies dont reali like it and whoeveris in the hutch with a ramp going donw into their run alwayspushes it donw the hole! in the winter i usllay do put some in theliving area to keep them a bit cosyer. if you are worried bout bunniesgettin cold outside in winter put a blaket or a piece of carpet on threhutches to keep the heat in!

Thanks for the input!!! We got our bonded pairof netherland dwarfs just a couple of ours ago!!! They seem quite happywith their new home!!! Will post some pictures tomorrow!!

one question......the breeder we bought them from used water bottles intheir hutch. I also have the same water bottle in ours. Will bunniesfind the bottle on thier own or do I need to bring them to it?

I led Bud to his by putting him in the cage andtapping/scratching the lid ridges to make him curious. He came over toit that was that =P

Congratulations! I can't wait to seepictures/ hear names, etc. I think you need to start them ablog, lol. :bunnydance:

Back