Yet again problems with flaky chin skin.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I remember writing about this issue with Musti, that the skin around his chin was crusty. He's here no more, but it has reoccurred in both my current boys. They both have bowls for water since we have had very bad experiences with leaky, uncleanable bottles, which the boys don't know how to use. It is a bit worse for Lümi since he's got thinner skin and a weaker immunity, the crusting has managed to creep its way half up one of his cheeks, fur comes off in chunks there.
So is it possible that the skin irritation is caused by their constantly wet chins? Lümi had his teeth checked recently, and they were okay, albeit the doc said he had weak-ish chewing muscles, so it is unlikely that it's dental issues. Their faces stay dry most of the time, excluding the time when they drink and then sometime after that. They are very clean with their food and don't get matted coats from that. The water has caused curly
We're going to the vet on friday to get the spring-season myxovaccine done, but the receptionist just barely managed to squeeze us before two operations, so the vet won't have much time besides the few minutes per vaccination to investigate the crust issue more.
Perhapss there's an ointment for irritated skin that rabbits could be treated with?
164406238_167477058441845_1286956393962597804_n.jpg
That's Lümi's underside since Storm would never allow us to get a pic like that.

If the fur in the area isn't constantly wet from drooling or drinking from a dish, usually this type of skin problem around the mouth is either going to be fungal or rabbit syphilis. Rabbit syphilis is treated with penicillin g procaine/benzathine injections, fungal dermatitis with an antifungal medicine.

Medirabbit: rabbit syphilis

Medirabbit: fungal dermatitis

Oh dear, more ailments? I really want it not to be syphilis, the boys have had enough of being pricked by needles.
How would it be determined though? Do they take a piece of skin from that area?

The vet could do a skin biopsy to determine what the issue is. Or maybe once the vet gets a better look at it, they'll be able to determine what's going on. I can't really tell just from that photo. Though if you aren't seeing any lesions around the genitals, nose, or eyes, I would lean more towards it being fungal. Just because it would seem odd to me for both your rabbits to have rabbit syphilis present in the same way just around the mouth. It would just be unusual since it can affect the genitals, nose, eyes, and mouth.

There's an ointment called F10, its really good for infections. But the vet will know best of course. Good luck!

The vet only took a look with the uv-light and didn't say anything afterwards, to him Lümi looked okay then?
But he's really not okay, i guess we have to book an appointment further away yet again. The mysterious thing is that a few weeks back (march 10) the uni vet cleared all signs of illnesses and now this has emerged. Go figure.

I am curious though if there is such a thing as online consultation without having to go all the way up there?

Why don't you call in and ask if a video call would be possible? You can explain the situation to the vet, and tell them what other vets have done and concluded. Then show them the skin on your rabbit and they'll tell you whether its really necessary to go all the way there. Its definitely worth a try. Let us know how it goes ❤️

Latest posts

Back