Yellow wax like substance in rabbit ears?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondie

Reaction score
So I have noticed my bun shaking her head a lot and trying to clean out her ears more often. I took a look inside of them and saw a yellow wax like substance right on the inside of her ears. It's not super far down in the ear canal or anything.

I took her to the vet about a month ago and the vet checked her ears and didn't see any signs of inflammation but gave us Orbax to treat for an inner ear infection just to be safe.

After stopping the Orbax I noticed she is still itching her ears, went to check them and saw the yellow stuff.

Is it just wax? I don't think it is mites because she never goes outside and I don't see any kind of bugs in her ears. If I need to call the vet I will in the morning.

Mites can be carried in via the hay given to your rabbit so it's still a possibility, even if your rabbit doesn't go outside. It's definitely worth another vet visit, get them to do a skin scrape to check for mites as I believe having mites can lead to an inner ear infection too which can be very serious for bunnies.

So it turns out it was yeast in her ears, no sign of mites. I was given Baytril Otis drops, four in each ear once a day for two weeks. She will also be going in for blood tests and possible a teeth trim. My poor girl :/

Thanks! I appreciate it :) Hopefully her teeth don't cause her too much trouble until I can get some money for a blood panel to see if she's even a candidate for anesthesia because of her age.

It's rough with senior buns :/ I love my girl so much, but I just want to keep her quality of life up to par. Have you had molar spur issues with any of your rabbits? If so, did they ever come back?

I'm thinking hers are due to old age and her jaw moving around because her bones aren't as strong as they used to be. She's never had any issues with dental problems before.

Back