Yea! She is finally out of the cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori L

Reaction score
Toto, formally known as Sweetie Pie has finallycome out of her cage. To refresh memories since I do not postall that often, I adopted this bun about 3 weeks ago. I washaving a devil of a time getting her to pee in her litterbox whenoutside her cage. She was having accidents in my bed and nextto her cage. Well I finally figured out (silly me) that whenI took her out of the cage (which is in the kitchen) and let her runaround I would close the door to her cage so she couldn't get back insince that is all she wanted to do. I would take herlitterbox out but she always wanted to pee right next to thecage. So...I put the litterbox next to the side of thecage. I let her loose for several hours in the kitchen with asheet down on the floor, her food, the cage door open and the litterboxout. Then I put the gate up so she couldn't leave thekitchen. My son and I played with her for a while then wewent out for lunch. We returned 3 1/2 hours later and no peeon the floor!!!

Toto is just such a love. She hasn't done any binkies yet butat night she thumps her foot some times. What does thismean? Also she has one toy and bunny ball that rolls aroundand has a bell inside. Some times I hear her playing with itbut I have to get her some more toys to play with. Anysuggestions as to what she might like? She has no front teethso I don't want to frustrate her by getting her things to chewon. Here is a picture my son took of her.

SweetiePie_3.jpg

Hi Lori, Toto is so cute. Congratulations to Toto for doing her business in the right place.

Every time I look at your avitar I think she is sticking out her tongue. That is such a cute picture.

Soooska:apollo:

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi Lori, Toto is so cute. Congratulations to Totofor doing her business in the right place.

Every time I look at your avitar I think she is sticking out her tongue. That is such a cute picture.

Soooska:apollo:
Nope it's just her ear that looks like her tongue

It sounds like she's settling in nicely!

Boy, no front teeth... Does she like to dig, or to push things aroundwith her nose? I've never been in this situation, but I'm sure thereare others here who can advise you. You might also want to post a queryon Etherbun (a Yahoo group), as there are many people there who eitherown special-needs buns or have owned them in the past. I'm sure thatbetween this voard and the EB folks, you'll come up with some goodsuggestions.

You might try putting a soup can or two out for her and seeing how shereacts to them, or even a small ball. Many bunnies enjoy pushing thingsaround with their noses....

Lori,
I have the same problem with my boy Alfred. He has malocclusion andcan't chew things. I've found that he loves to play with toys that rolland make noise. I see you already have the bunny maze ball. That's oneof Alfred's favorites. he also has a few of thos little plastic ballswith bells inside of them that are made for cats. Another thing Alfredlikes are brown paper bags. He loves to hop inside and on top of them.He really enjoys the crinkling noise the paper makes.

Recently, I got a cottontail cottage for both of my boys, buy Alfredreally seems to enjoy hiding in it and jumpping around between the twolevels.

I also got him a stuffed toy. He keeps it in his bunny bed and cuddleswith it when he sleeps. And the best part is, he can't chew it up!

Hope these suggestions help!
-Amy

She is such a cutie! As Sooska said, I also first thought that was a tongue in your avatar pic. She looks so cute!

Im glad to hear she's settling in nicely, sometimes it just takes some time to earn their trust.

Oh, and typically rabbits thump when they are scared. In the wild, itsused as a way to warn one another of dangers such aspredators. I wonder what could be scaring her?Sometimes, it could just be a shadow or something. My Basil used to dothis when I first brought him home. It sure does keep you up!

Theres a link somewhere that has good info on bunny language, let me see if I can find it for you.

aeposten wrote:
Lori,
I have the same problem with my boy Alfred. He has malocclusion andcan't chew things. I've found that he loves to play with toys that rolland make noise. I see you already have the bunny maze ball. That's oneof Alfred's favorites. he also has a few of thos little plastic ballswith bells inside of them that are made for cats. Another thing Alfredlikes are brown paper bags. He loves to hop inside and on top of them.He really enjoys the crinkling noise the paper makes.

Recently, I got a cottontail cottage for both of my boys, buy Alfredreally seems to enjoy hiding in it and jumpping around between the twolevels.

I also got him a stuffed toy. He keeps it in his bunny bed and cuddleswith it when he sleeps. And the best part is, he can't chew it up!

Hope these suggestions help!
-Amy
Thanks AMy all great suggestions...and inexpensive too!

Haley wrote:
Oh,and typically rabbits thump when they are scared. In the wild, its usedas a way to warn one another of dangers such as predators. Iwonder what could be scaring her? Sometimes, it could just bea shadow or something. My Basil used to do this when I first broughthim home. It sure does keep you up!
Do you think I should leave a night light on for her?I've been keeping it dark when we sleep so she can sleep too but nowI'm thinking maybe it's too dark?

you could try a little nightlight to see if thathelps. I leave one on for my Mr. Tumnus, who is most active at night.Typically, rabbits are awake most of the night.

Another solution would be to make sure he has things to do at night tokeep him occupied. What kind of cage are you using? My guy thumpedevery night in his little metal cage until I built him an NIC condo.Now, he has so much room to play at night he never thumps.

Hope this helps!

Aw, I'm so glad she's settling in and getting comfy.

Her coat looks great! Are you having any problems withit? I have to comb my Fuzzy Lops once or twice a week, orthey get horribly matted. I use a metal cat comb and it worksgreat on the tangles.

Toto is in a very small cage and now I'm sorry Ihave that for her. I think I will investigate the NICs if Ican find them. Maybe a trip to target today is inorder. But, now that I leave her cage open and she has therun of the kitchen it might not be nesessary.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Aw, I'm so glad she's settling in and getting comfy.

Her coat looks great! Are you having any problems withit? I have to comb my Fuzzy Lops once or twice a week, orthey get horribly matted. I use a metal cat comb and it worksgreat on the tangles.
The woman at the adoption place said NOT to brush her even witha metal comb because it hurts them. She said I will have tocut the fur once every 3 months or so.

Lori L wrote:
Toto is in a very small cage and now I'm sorry I have thatfor her. I think I will investigate the NICs if I can findthem. Maybe a trip to target today is in order.But, now that I leave her cage open and she has the run of the kitchenit might not be nesessary.
I know exactly how you feel. I had no clue how small my cage really wasuntil I built an NIC condo. Its amazing how much they love having allthat room. My guy will even go in there when the door is open just tohang out. Also, I had spent like 70 bucks on cages and theNIC condo only cost me about 35 bucks to make! Heres mine:

Bunnies091.jpg

And heres the link to cage info in our resource center. Theres s threadwith member examples and lots of sites telling how you to build one!http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

Its called Coroplast. Its essentially plasticcardboard. I just scored the edges and taped them up to make thesides. It wipes up really easily. Also, lots of people useplywood and cover it with those cheap stick-on tiles. Or you can use abottom to a dog crate too.

Check out this link where I explain it in more detail:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=1

Feel free to pm me with any questions!

hey haley, i just wanted to ask a question aboutthe chloroplast. Do your bunnies bite/chew it and eat it? if they doeat it would it be poisonous to them? thx a bunch :)

Hi Lori, great looking cage. Ours use the second & third levels all the time.

:apollo:Are you going to reinforce the cage with electrical ties so it doesn't fall down?

Soooska

Latest posts

Back