X-Pen Height Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iShiznitch

Reaction score
So I purchased an X-Pen for Indy if I want to take her outside, or need to keep her somewhere else while I vacuum the room, for example. I was going to get one at a PetPlanet store, but they were all sold out, and the only one available to me was at the humane society were I first got Indy.

Its 24" high and 36" wide, and is actually the same pens they use for the rabbits they have up for adoption. These rabbits are in the pens during the day (and in cages at night) so Indy was living in one for a good 4 months before I adopted her, and there were no reported instances of her escaping.

She has shown no previous inclination of jumping, I was actually worried about her joints before - because she doesn't jump on top of easy-to-reach boxes or onto any chairs or beds - but her new litterbox is pretty high-walled and she can get in and out just fine.

I was wondering if this is simply too low of a height? I would like to be able to take her outside for a little bit and let her graze in her pen (carefully watched of course) but I am so worried she will jump out and run. I live on an acreage and if she escaped she could go ANYWHERE and it would not be a good time.

She definitely responds to food (and sometimes her name), but in the great outdoors, that may all change.

My other question is that, at the society, they put blankets around/on the pens so they couldn't see out (or each other too much) - do you think this discourages jumping? Exactly how good are rabbits at cognitive reasoning? haha If she cannot see out of the cage, will she realize there's more out there?

So many questions, I apologize - I'm so anxious about things.

If your going to put her outside and you have acreage, I'd be more worried about predators. I've seen some that come with a top piece. The playpen we got from petsmart is thirty inches high--none have jumped out but we had two dwarfs that were climbers.

I (we) got the Dimensions wrong. I pulled it out of the box and it 36" HIGH. Which is awesome.

Also explains why it was so. heavy.

She wouldn't be left out alone ever, and it would be set up close enough to the house that hawks would have a little trouble maneuvering. We had pet chickens for the longest time a few years back and hawks would circle them all the time - Its pretty easy to see them coming and scare them off when you're diligent. Coyotes don't really come near our place - our dogs have chased them off enough times that they seem to have learned not to come here haha.

I just don't want her to be cooped up in her basement room all the time. Especially in the gorgeous weather we're having this fall.

36" high is usually enough to keep most rabbits contained. While there are a few that can get out, most don't. Don't put any boxes or anything she could jump up onto near the edge as she could use that to get over the pen.

I know you can get tops for the pens, but they can be expensive. You could go to a hardware store and buy some wire mesh to make a top for it. A blanket or trap over top could also work as long as you clip it in place so an edge doesn't fall into the pen.

As long as you are supervising it should be ok. You might want to put the pen in a more enclosed area so if she does get out she doesn't just have a huge area to escape into.

I think she'll be just fine. I'll scout out a good area tomorrow or later tonight if I have time before it gets dark. Gonna test out the pen inside first as well.

Thanks guys!

Thats actually a really, really good idea. I wonder if we have any smaller tarps lying around... Probably do somewhere. If I look around, I could probably find something quieter too. Tarps can make a racket in the wind, should there be any.

Superstore have some Fleece blankets that are 50X60", so would cover a 4X4' pen. They were on sale for $4.44 last week, but I don't know if they are still that price, but it might end tomorrow (the 22nd). They are regularly $6 each.

I think I found a really decent fleece blanket I just need to wash tomorrow. It should work well, and provide some shade should the weather be anything like today was :) Here's hoping for good weather!

Latest posts

Back