Wry Neck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinsrxcore

Reaction score
I am about to take in a year old Lionhead buck that has recovered from Wry Neck a few months ago. The breeder cannot show him because the noise level at shows really drives him up the wall so he needs a sort of retirement home. Is there any medical information I need to know about recovery before taking him in. I want to be fully prepared for his arrival.

Doeshe have a permanent tilt or is he fully recovered?

usually wry neck is an ear infection rather than the jump to ecuniculi
if you are sure that he no longer has a current ear infection there should be no issues....but it is important to make sure the ear infection has been totally treated and is resolved

The breeder had the issue totally resolved. As for a tilt, I do not know yet. I'll keep you updated. I'm supposed to go pick him up this weekend.

If he has a residual tilt then you may need to make adjustments to his living, and I also doubt you would be able to breed with him. If there are no lasting effects then he should be the same as any normal bun.

There are a good few of us on here with buns who have head tilt, so if he does have a remaining tilt then you will probbaly find plenty of posts around the forum that can potentially help, and also feel free to post and ask thingds too. PErsonally I found that the adjustments that needeed to be made fo rthem the biggest issue (my foster, Tilly, has head tilt), but I know others have had other challenges.

Some good comments already posted. Several of our members here have bunnies with permanent head tilt, and you may want to pm them. Jaceicing has Ringo (whose head tilt is from a previous URI) and Apple (whose head tilt is from head trauma at a young age). Littlebaypoo has Ronnie, who developed head tilt from an URI. Flashy of course has already chimed in. Off the top of my head, I think Tinysmom has head tilt experience, probably with a lionhead. MyBabyBunnies's Naomi is currently fighting headtilt. Bpotter2 has Twinkles. Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears has Fluffy.

Check out this thread on Ringo (where many of our members with head-tilt bunnies have checked in) http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=39451&forum_id=16
and this library article: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11840&forum_id=10

I think, if the infection is resolved, you just may have to adjust his living space and keep an eye out for any changes. He may also need anti-nausea medicine (like bonamine).

Good luck, and kudos on giving this guy a nice, peaceful home.

UPDATE: I have now had Tai for 24 hours. He has definitely proven to be a special needs child. He does this thing I like to compare to a fainting goat thing when he gets scared. He just passes out. He also has no depth perception whatsoever so when on the bed he just steps off. Only took twice for me to figure this out... I'm taking him to the vet later this week to find out if he maybe is blind in any way.
Pepper is vicious towards him so breeding is out of the question so far. I'm pretty convinced on getting her fixed soon so maybe she'll be nicer. As we speak Tai tried to sniff her and she ran off thumping. They don't look like they have promise to be a bonded pair. Maybe my brother's guinea pig Sam and him? They love each other! They groom and it's adorable. It keeps him calm hehe

penguinsrxcore wrote:
UPDATE:He also has no depth perception whatsoever so when on the bed he just steps off. Only took twice for me to figure this out...
That's funny that you said he falls off the bed. My boy Fluffy who is a head-tilt recover does the same thing. We call him stupid when he does it. He's now not allowed to get off by himself. But I have to admit it is funny when he falls off.

Hope your guy gets better soon.

Glad you're going to get a vet's opinion. Rabbit-guinea pig bonds are fine as long as the rabbit isn't going to thump the piggy and hurt him. It would definitely be good for him to have a buddy since he has trouble getting around. Keep us updated with what the vet says! Oh and we need pics of your new cutie!

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
penguinsrxcore wrote:
UPDATE:He also has no depth perception whatsoever so when on the bed he just steps off. Only took twice for me to figure this out...
That's funny that you said he falls off the bed.  My boy Fluffy who is a head-tilt recover does the same thing.  We call him stupid when he does it.  He's now not allowed to get off by himself.  But I have to admit it is funny when he falls off.

Hehe!! yeah its very funny but I'm scared he will get injured so I won't let him on the bed without supervision lol

tonyshuman wrote:
Glad you're going to get a vet's opinion. Rabbit-guinea pig bonds are fine as long as the rabbit isn't going to thump the piggy and hurt him. It would definitely be good for him to have a buddy since he has trouble getting around. Keep us updated with what the vet says! Oh and we need pics of your new cutie!

Here's his blog
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=45329&forum_id=6
:p

and him and the guinea are the exact same size and they are both full grown so I might give it a try hehe

:hugsquish::bunnyheart

rabbits and guinea pigs really shouldn't be housed together. Often times one or the other will harass the other. At our shelterwe had a surrender of a rabbit /guinea comboand the guinea had groomed most of the hair off the back of the rabbit.

oftentime the rabbit can inadvertently hurt the guinea pig because of his back legs.
or the rabbit may bite out of annoyance. I have heard cases of rabbit s getting abscesses from guinea pig nips.

probably the greatest reasons is the dangers of the pig contracting bordatella which can be a latent infection in rabbits butis extremely easy for a guinea pig to contract and is fatal for the pig.

http://www.lycos.com/info/guinea-pigs--rabbits.

angieluv wrote:
rabbits and guinea pigs really shouldn't be housed together. Often times one or the other will harass the other. At our shelter we had a surrender of a rabbit /guinea combo and the guinea had groomed most of the hair off the back of the rabbit.

oftentime the rabbit can inadvertently hurt the guinea pig because of his back legs.
or the rabbit may bite out of annoyance. I have heard cases of rabbit s getting abscesses from guinea pig nips.

probably the greatest reasons is the dangers of the pig contracting  bordatella which can be a latent infection in rabbits but is extremely easy for a guinea pig to contract and is fatal for the pig.

http://www.lycos.com/info/guinea-pigs--rabbits.

Wow! Thank you for that information! We had just let the two meet but they are not being housed together. I actually live an hour away from my mom so I'm a bunny only household hehe
I'm really glad I learned that!

penguinsrxcore wrote:
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
penguinsrxcore wrote:
That's funny that you said he falls off the bed. My boy Fluffy who is a head-tilt recover does the same thing. We call him stupid when he does it. He's now not allowed to get off by himself. But I have to admit it is funny when he falls off.

Hehe!! yeah its very funny but I'm scared he will get injured so I won't let him on the bed without supervision lol
Fluffy isn't allowed on the bed alone either, it's just if you turn for a minute he's falls off. I have carpet in my room so if he falls he has a soft landing. I don't let him do it he just does. He's a silly one.

penguinsrxcore wrote:
Yeah I have to pick him up off his back to make him calm down. It's so sad!
Yeah when I saw the video I got a bit worried, I would have him checked out if I were you.

Back