"Wow your rabbit actually hops?"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"We saw that you had bunnies, so we were inspired to get a hamster."

Now I love hamsters very much, but I wouldn't put them in the same class as bunnies, unless the group is "mammals other than dogs and cats". Rabbits aren't rodents! They're a lot more work than hamsters, and a lot bigger, smarter, and have more personality, not to mention living longer.

I thought of another one. My family and friends, who have met my bun, always seem shocked that bunnies race around at high speed and do binkies. I guess because Otto tends to be so lazy, but that doesn't mean that all bunnies are lazy. I showed my dad a video of Otto racing around the living room and he said "Wow! Is that at real time speed? You didn't speed it up?" Haha

I just say, "How do you think rabbits survive in the wild? Of course he can run fast. He just chooses not to 90% of the time :p"

Lady came into the pet store and wanted to buy a rabbit and honestly thought that they only ate carrots. She was surprised they had pellets for rabbits

My grandma, she is so funny, can't understand why I would keep bunnies in the house. She believes that bunnies should run free in meadows where they are happy ( I do not think she realizes that they get eaten by just about every predator out there). I tried to explain to her that they are domesticated bunnies and not wiled ones but I do not think she gets it.

"rabbits can walk?" Yes, really...*face palm*
Others posted like "is that a dog?"

RandomWiktor wrote:
Oh here's a good one; can't believe I forgot it:
"Oh ew, a rabbit? I hate rodents."
I agree with this one. No matter how many times I explain to my boss that a rabbit is not a rodent whenever she walks by my co-worker and I talking about the buns she says, "Eww I don't do rodents" and walks away. Yet her cats pee/poo/barf all over her house and doesn't see this as a problem......

~*sAbRiNa*~ wrote:
RandomWiktor wrote:
Oh here's a good one; can't believe I forgot it:
"Oh ew, a rabbit? I hate rodents."
I agree with this one. No matter how many times I explain to my boss that a rabbit is not a rodent whenever she walks by my co-worker and I talking about the buns she says, "Eww I don't do rodents" and walks away. Yet her cats pee/poo/barf all over her house and doesn't see this as a problem......
Yup.. so far, while bunnies chew stuff, at least their poop is pickupable :D Cats' poo... ewww (And I have two of the little darlings ;) )

The worse thing by far I've ever had said to me was at a mobile adoption. A lady walked up, with her friend by the rabbit that was in the pen. They looked at it and the lady chuckeled a little and said, "Why would you ever bring a rabbit to a shelter? Just let it go!" I nearly blew up in her face!! I couldn't believe she said that! And with me right there!

"You mean your rabbit does stuff?"

Said by my father, who thought that bunnies were stupid until I brought him home for Christmas. He spent hours cutting pieces of wood for him to chew on and was thrilled when Shino would run up to him if he offered some veggies.

People are always like, "Ew, you let it run lose and sleep in your bed? I guess you like waking up with 'surprises.'"

And then they have the audacity to get mad at me when I call them an idiot.

I wouldn't let him sleep with me if he wasn't potty trained. :grumpy:

I had a cable repairman in once, and I warned him to watch out for the rabbit. He laughed - and then Scone ran into the room, jumped up on the ottoman and looked at him. He said, "I thought you were joking - that really is a rabbit!"

Well, of course.

I had a meeting of a Scout group I was taking to Scotland at my house about two years ago, and as the house started to fill up I looked at Scone and said, "better get in your cage, Scone, before someone steps on you. Go in and I'll give you a treat.". To everyone's amazement he ran into his cage and sat on the balcony, waiting for a treat. One of the parents said, "it's almost like he understood you!".

Almost??

MikeScone wrote:
I had a cable repairman in once, and I warned him to watch out for the rabbit. He laughed - and then Scone ran into the room, jumped up on the ottoman and looked at him. He said, "I thought you were joking - that really is a rabbit!"

Well, of course.

I had a meeting of a Scout group I was taking to Scotland at my house about two years ago, and as the house started to fill up I looked at Scone and said, "better get in your cage, Scone, before someone steps on you. Go in and I'll give you a treat.". To everyone's amazement he ran into his cage and sat on the balcony, waiting for a treat. One of the parents said, "it's almost like he understood you!".

Almost??
Lol, Sparky and Scooter actually understand when I tell them "go to your room"!

I like when DQ is out running around our apartment and I open the fridge and she comes running. She knows she gets something whenever the fridge opens. My roommates can't believe that when I tell her to get back in her cage she runs into my room and hops in her cage

I once had someone get mad at me for "over-feeding my rabbit to the point where he got so huge! Its animal abuse!"...

I have a Flemish giant! I'm pretty sure (and by pretty sure I mean 100% sure) that if you over feed a small breed, it gets fat, not proportionally bigger everywhere.

*shakes head*

I also geta lot of whats been previously mentioned:

Doesn't he poop/pee everywhere? Doesn't he bite? Why are you calling him, a rabbit can't unerstand its name? Doesn't it chew everything? Etc, etc...

Aside from people being stunned that I have rabbits in my house, they are also surprised that rabbits are able to go up stairs. I figure that if they aren't afraid of the vinyl kitchen floor, they aren't afraid of exploring the upstairs if they discover it. ;)

I also get the same response about toys. I love going to rummage sales for baby/toddler toys and telling the people that the toys are for my rabbits. :shock: "No!! Really? Rabbits will play with toys?!!! Did you hear that, sweetie? Rabbits are going to play with your old toys!!!"

myheart

Latest posts

Back