wow, bananas?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordstoasong

Reaction score
I've noticed people on here feed bananas to their rabbits! I've never feed that before to my rabbits, and today, I tired it and they love it!

Are they any other foods I can give my rabbits? I've always given them salads, carrots, celery and potoate scraps. Any other treats?

My rabbits don't like those fancy treats, so anything would be great to know. Thanks!

Potatos are very very bad for rabbits. You really shouldn't give those to your rabbits at all.

Banana and carrots you should limit to small pieces every day ... or only to a few times a week because of their high sugar content.

My guys are obsessed with parsley, cilantro, green leaf, romaine lettuce. For treats it's bananas, apples, grapes, and a papaya tablet =]

Edit: Sorry to ask, but what's in the salad?

Eep! I'll stop giving potatos to them! Thank you!
PixieStixxxx: The salads mostly have Romaine Lettuce and thinly sliced carrots. Something simple I mix up for them.

Nice salad! What lucky little guys.

Haha sorry about the question - One time, I had a girl at the shelter tell me she buys her rabbit salad from the grocery store. So I asked "What kind of salad" because I used to get Muffy fruit salad from Starbucks (There were some things I had to take out though) - and she went "Well there's onions and potatos and..." Well I had a freak out day! =P

PixieStixxxx wrote:
Potatos are very very bad for rabbits. You really shouldn't give those to your rabbits at all.

Banana and carrots you should limit to small pieces every day ... or only to a few times a week because of their high sugar content.

My guys are obsessed with parsley, cilantro, green leaf, romaine lettuce. For treats it's bananas, apples, grapes, and a papaya tablet =]

Edit: Sorry to ask, but what's in the salad?
I have heard to be carefull giving grapes to rabbits. They are poisonious to dogs

Mine love bananas too! and apples.. Buttons has this little quirk, she'll only eat appleif it has skin on it, and when i give her a piece, the part with the skin has to be on top..if i turn it so that the skin part is below, she will turn her head as well so that she bites into the skin with her top teeth :Dsilly girl

i only give them a small piece of fruit each time..

they love raisins too (organic ones, cos i've come across many articles about pesticide-laden raisins :shock:) i'd love to try craisins, but i dont think we have them here..

just wondering, those of you who give raisins/craisins to your bunnies, how many do you give at a time? i only give 2, and sometimes 3 if they beg sooo hard.. is that too much? 2 raisins is equivalent to 2 grapes, right? and i only give raisins 2-3 times a week..

My bunnies go absolutely crazy for bananas. They also love peach and parsley, but they are such greedy little muffins they would eat anything. Oats too!!! Dandelion leaves also. On my way home from school in the summer I always pass rows and rows, so I take a handful back every day- people must think I'm a botanist or something!!!!

When you are feeding them such rich fruit as peach make sure it is not too often- maybe once every couple of weeks (when I can get a peach!!!!) I give them a few chunks each. My bunnies get something every other day depending on what I'm giving them- a few chunks of apple and a few chunks of carrot etc.

They've never had any problems having a few bits a day or every two days- you have just got to keep a watchful eye.

NEVER give your rabbits tomatoes, or, if I am correct, anything in the onion family, so no onions or spring onions, and do not give them potato (like was mentioned before).

Hehe for christmas dinner, I gave them (raw obviously) a few chunks of parsnip (don't worry- I have checked all this is okay), a few chunks of sprouts and some parsley!!! They loved it- they go crazy for parsnip too!!!!!!!

I used to sponsor a pair who were obsessed with papaya. Papaya is a little expensive here, I tried it with my guys and they looked at me as if I was from another planet.

But papaya tablets? They harass me for one. Every morning, I would give them one after breakest. They eventually realized this, and refused to touch their breakfast unless they got the papaya tablet first. Crazy bunnies :biggrin2:

Mine always go nuts for dandelion leaves, too. That is like their all-time fav treat, and sooo much cheaper than store bought greens when you are feeding 23 at a time! Plus the dandelioins are really good for them, and if I remember correctly you don't have to worry about limiting them like you do with a lot of other treats.

Tomatoes are ok to feed rabbits, they are on several of the "safe foods" lists (like this one: http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html ).
Hazel likes the little "cherry tomatoes", she gets about half a one once in a while. Its funny to hear her slurp up the juice :D.

jcottonl02 wrote:
NEVER give your rabbits tomatoes, or, if I am correct, anything in the onion family, so no onions or spring onions, and do not give them potato (like was mentioned before).

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Tomatoes are ok to feed rabbits, they are on several of the "safe foods" lists (like this one: jcottonl02 wrote: [/b]
Yep, tomatoes are okay. It's funny listening to them eat them.:)

Oh right. That's strange. When I first got my first rabbit I was told under no circumstances give them tomatoes. So I never have lol.........hmmm that's odd.

Mine love grapes- it's so sweet hearing them slurp away at those too!! And I have to be careful becuase they slurp grace juice all over me.

Can anyone help? I can't find craisons anywhere!! I've looked in supermarkets, little markets in the town, little fruit and nut stores. I am in the UK, so they might not sell them over here. They sound really nice so if anyone could tell me where I mght find them I'd be so appreciative. lol

Thankies. Sozzy about the tomatoe thing- I was positive they couldn't have them. But best to be on the safe side I guess. Right....I'll see how Ben n Pip like a nibble of cherry tomato!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back