Wound in Angora - Wolf Worm?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We recently had a wolf worm get into a bunny's eye and we had to put her to sleep. We suspect that another bunny might have one or have had one on her underside. Has anyone had experience with that? How can we tell if it is a wolf worm and if it has already left or if we need to treat it? We have spent a lot on the vet lately so we'd love it if we could take care of it ourselves.

The site is a big lump with a large pencil eraser size hole and possibly and smaller hole below it with maybe some blood (not sure). It is hard and kind of round. It doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort unless we clean it or touch it. She is behaving normally.

Any ideas or experience?

Are you talking about Cuterebra fly larvae? With one bunny, we took her straight to the vet, who carefully removed it and gave us some cream that healed it right up. With another bunny who got one we tried the nail polish trick, where we dabbed a bit around the edge of the air pore. It made it hard for the larva to breathe so it did come out. But then after that, she got two more Cuterebra larvae.

Looking back it was such a short recovery after taking our one bunny to the vet and not that expensive of ordeal (probably like $70 total for meds and the exam), that I wouldn't try to get it out myself; it took so much longer to heal up without the meds. If you do it yourself, be sure not to puncture the bug as this can be fatal to the bunny. This is not to say it cannot be done on your own, I just personally wouldn't do it over myself (not to mention the fact that the way we did it wasn't at all sterile nor did it prevent infection).

Here is a very good article : http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Cuterebra/Miyasis_botfly.htm

Hope you can get your bunny feeling better in no time :)

If you are talking about a cuterebra larvae ( bot fly?) it is best not to remove it yourself as if it breaks it will release toxins into the rabbit's body. I have dealt with many shelter rabbits with bot flies ( and many cats) ; the procedure at the vet is fairly straightforward and simple unless their are 2 or more flies in one hole. Shouldn't be a big expense to take to the vet.. but best to go NOW before the fly is mature

From what I have seen on the web, wolf worm is another name for cuterebra (bot fly). Those happen to bunnies sometimes kept outside in the warmer climates. It is best if you have a vet take it out for the reasons already mentioned. Bot flies are nothing to mess with. Does anyone know if Revolution or Advantage can prevent these? For instance, in dogs and cats that go outside, if they get monthly preventative care, will that prevent bot flies? If so, it might be worthwhile to use that in your bunny.

warning gross pictures:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Cuterebra/Miyasis_botfly.htm

This is really interesting. I did not know that Revolution slowed down the growth of botfly larvae. Dana Krempels who answered the question is a very reliable source

That is interesting. I know that cats at the shelter who had bot flies were given an antiparasitic as soon as the bot fly was noticed, even if it couldn't be removed right away. I thought it was because if the cat had a botfly, it probably had other parasites as well. Maybe they did it to weaken the fly larva before removing it. It's too bad that Revolution won't prevent a bot fly infestation for an outside bunny, although it is probably a good monthly preventative for fleas and ticks. I also recently read that botflies can and do come indoors, so indoors bunnies aren't necessarily safe from this nasty parasite either. Of course they are safer than those kept outside.

They are more common in the southern US but can be found in the frigid north as well. I lived for 6 years in WI and heard of several cats and a few bunnies that came into the shelter that had them. They are more commonly found during warmer months as well. Summer is definitely a bad time for them. I have only seen them through contact with feral cats and bunnies that were "set free" to live outside, so it is uncommon in inside pets.

It does happen, make no mistake. I know personally of one case in WI, and that is through a somewhat limited experience (moderate involvement with a shelter for a few years). If you keep his area clean and dry, though, you should prevent them mostly. It is something to be aware of even in North Dakota. They will show up as a large, hard lump that is painful to the touch and should be treated as soon as they appear. I would say it is a "see the vet in the next day or two" kind of thing if it is just a painful lump, and a "see the vet today" thing if the breathing hole for the larva has appeared. If he starts to get urine scald or has mushy feces/cecotropes stuck to his fur, you will want nip that in the bud as those are conditions that promote it.

Back