Would you trust a humane society to spay/neuter!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankz

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Well, on this other bun forum I belong to, someone is getting their buns spayed/neutered, which (in there state, haven't checked prices here) only costs $50/$60. I know that spaying Sunny is important, and I want to get it done ASAP, but honestly can't pay $200-$300 dollars for it. I'm wondering if, since it seems so much cheaper and a great deal, do you think it would be to good to be true? My mom is gonna call them tomorrow to talk about possibly getting Sun spayed since the MI is closed for the night.

Thanks!

Have you checked out pricing at your local vets office cause you can somtimes find offices that will do it for cheaper than 200-300 if you don't want to go to a SPCA

It really would depend on the HS in question. Do they have rabbits and regularly spay/neuter them. If they adopt out rabbits, but don't fix them, it could mean that they are uncomfortable fixing rabbits or don't see it as necessary or safe to do it.
I would ask all the questions that you would ask a vet before you get it done there. These questions can include if food is given before (and it should be, no fasting), what anesthesia is used, how many rabbits are done on a monthly basis, are pain meds given and what kind. You basically want to know how much experience the vet has with rabbits.
For me, it doesn't matter if I can get it done for free if he vet and techs don't know how to deal with rabbits. I would rather pay a bit more and have a rabbit that is alive, safe and had a good surgery than save a bit and end up with something going wrong because the vet didn't know what they were doing.

My boy came fixed when I got him from a shelter. He seemed fine when I got him, and I can't see that there are any complications. That said, that particular shelter took in a lot of rabbits, and rixes all of them, so they are very familliar with the procedure.

Its really up to you and how comfortable you feel with the shelter's experiance.

I often suggest that people find out who local rescues or shelters use for spay/neuters because that usually means they have a lot of experience as well as a low price.

My family got our dog spayed at the humane society. They did a really good job, she bounced back fast. Its not like they have the volunteers do it. They vet that handled my dog was really nice and seemed very capable.

Rabbits are a little different and more specific though. Maybe you could ask someone in charge if they have experience with rabbits and such. I'm sure the vet is just as good as a more expensive vet at a private practice. Probably a nice person too if they want to help the humane society out.

doggie0506 wrote:
Have you checked out pricing at your local vets office cause you can somtimes find offices that will do it for cheaper than 200-300 if you don't want to go to a SPCA
I find that vet clinics can be more expensive I was looking to neuter my rabbit and went price shopping, ranges started at 300(Neutering is much a much less complicated surgery than spaying). But i got a deal with the vet I work with. She did it for 35bucks

I am from Michigan and I went to the Michigan Humane Society for all of my vetting needs when I lived there. They gave me great prices, did my re-checks for free, etc. I would definitely get my bunny spayed there.

Yurusumaji wrote:
I am from Michigan and I went to the Michigan Humane Society for all of my vetting needs when I lived there. They gave me great prices, did my re-checks for free, etc. I would definitely get my bunny spayed there.
Oh thank you! Knowing someone from MI went, is great reassurance.

Well, some good and bad (well bad cuz I'm so scared for her)
My poor Sun is getting spayed :(. We made contact w/the MI Humane Society's Veterinary Center, and it costs $100, & and extra $20 for pain medication. And guess what? It's on Friday the 13th. What a creepy day. I may just reschedule for another day, but I'd hate to hold it off anymore. That Friday is really scary...non the less my baby has to stay the night! I have to miss a bit of school in the morning because I am NOT letting her go in w/out me saying I love her :tears2::tears2:. She has to be in at 8AM, and I'm guessing they just really want to watch her for the hours afterward. Anyone who has gotten a bun spayed, is it normal to be held over night? Ik she'll need cage rest afterward, but I never knew my baby would be there all night ;(. I'm gonna be a nervous wreck. She can't eat after 8pm Thursday night, prolly because of the anesthesia. Send some prayers/hugs/good vibes mine and Sunny's way.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Some vets prefer to keep them over night but not all.

However, rabbits should not fast before surgery. They do not vomit (reason for having other animals fast before surgery) and emptying the digestive tract is dangerous for them. Better check with the vet on how much experience they have doing rabbit spays, and definitely do not withhold food.

bunniekrissy wrote:
Some vets prefer to keep them over night but not all.

However, rabbits should not fast before surgery. They do not vomit (reason for having other animals fast before surgery) and emptying the digestive tract is dangerous for them. Better check with the vet on how much experience they have doing rabbit spays, and definitely do not withhold food.
I didn't even really think about that until someone else on another bun forum brought it up. I realized that the anesthesia made people and animals vomit and told my mom about it. They're closed now, so we're gonna call tomorrow.
Thank you.

You might also want to check out any privatespay/neuter clinics in your area. I ran into the same problem, vets wanted $350-$400+ to spay/neuter my bunnies. I finally found a s/n clinic that had an experienced rabbit vet that worked there a couple days a week. Cost was $55 to neuter and I think $95 to spay and my boy came home that afternoon like nothing happened and the staff just loved him. They also made it a point that I showed up after all the dogs and cats were checked in to minimize stress to the bun and also kept him in a private room to recover. Oh, and you don't withold food or water at all, and are supposed to offer food shortly after they wake up (bring what she is used to).

I would call and ask ifyou can have the vet call you before you bring her in so you can ask how often they spay bunnies, etc... The spays can be riskier than the neuters from what I hear.

Jill

Updates,
Seems like the receptionist was new, and she was guessing the same thing happens for buns like cats a dogs. My mom talked to someone who knew that bunnys are to eat, so I'm glad everything's good.

missyscove wrote:
I often suggest that people find out who local rescues or shelters use for spay/neuters because that usually means they have a lot of experience as well as a low price.
Sometimes a low price ... My vet does all of the procedures for a large local bunny rescue, but still charged me $350 for a neuter. Ouch.

I agree that if the shelter does it regularly and offers pain meds, it's a good choice. A lot of shelters use private vets too that donate their time to the shelter. The price is lower at a shelter not because the care is substandard, but because they are subsidizing the cost of the spay/neuter or getting some of the vet services to do the operation donated. Spay/neuter services are a huge part of all the Humane Society's branches' goals so they put a lot of their annual budget into subsidizing low-cost spay/neuter clinics.

I would bring some food, hay and veggies for him to have after surgery. I highly doubt that they would have the food you feed avaliable and you don't want to upset his digestive tract any more than necessary. Put the hay in a box and cut a whole in the top (and Kleenex box will work if you have one) to keep the mess down, at least for getting it there. The veggies can get him to eat, especially if you bring his favourites. Also let them know if he uses a bottle or bowl for water.

If you can, you may want to bring a towel or blanket that he is used to. The only risk would be that you might not get it back as they might not know that it is yours.

when we lived in Tracy, CA, there were two vets in town that did rabbits--both charged 375 for a female and 275 for a male and kept them overnight. Found a vet in Oakley that would do the males for 90 and the females for 125 including pain meds and stitch removal in 7 to 10 days and they got to come home when they were back up and moving around. They gave us a break because all our bunnies were rescues from shelters or worse. Pays to check and ask questions.

Our shelter neuters all the males that we transfer to rescue for us and we have never had a problem. Gainesville Rabbit Rescue also has a low-cost spay/neuter program. The cost is $65, not including pain meds. Pain meds can be purchased separately, and usually run $8-10. The only catch is that you have to use one of our participating vets, who are located in Port Orange and Gainesville.

Blech, so it has to be canceled because we spent ALOT in the pet store for big things of food and all that...for the mice+gerbs+sunny. Atleast she wont be operated on Friday the 13th
rolleyes.gif
. I wanted to get it over w/, but we'll get it done.

Latest posts

Back