Would you go to the state show or not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I preregistered for the state show in late March - and my entries were 4 light gray flemish does, 1 light gray flemish buck and 1 white flemish buck.

Here are the entries for the show..

Breed : Flemish Giant
Black Sr Doe 1
Light Gray Sr Buck 2
Light Gray Sr Doe 4
Sandy Sr Buck 3
Sandy Sr Doe 3
White Sr Buck 1

Breed Totals: 14 0

I hate going and feeling like there isn't much there for competition....I'm not saying that I'd win - its just - even if I won - it would feel like I didn't go up against much (I think most of the flemish breeders are saving to go to Nationals 2 weeks later in Missouri). (Its also my understanding that sandys normally win over light gray - but I could be wrong).

If you were me - would you still spend the roughly $200 for hotel/food/gas to go to this?

Am I just being...nitpicky? I know some folks say "a win is a win" and that is true - but if I were to win I'd feel funny saying, "I won XXX but I took 6 out of the 14 that were there...".

I guess I'm used to showing lionheads when we had larger classes....

It does look like there will be 3 people showing...because there are 2 showing sandies..plus me. But in the variety I'm showing - there's only 2 people showing.

this is a hard choice.

and one I remember well, when I bred rhinelanders (some shows it would be just me showing blah).

but i always looked at it in this way:

a) i am making contacts out there, meeting new breeders in a breed i am just starting to work with

b) i am getting someone's opinion on my rabbits that aren't bias at all.

but it is a lot of money to waste for not a big show

don't know what to tell you there.

katt wrote:

I agree with everything Katt said but when it comes to this. How often will it be big shows? Is it possible that while small you could get some unbiased opinions on the girls?

I'd probably still go due to already being registered - especially since a few other exibitors are going to be there and it'll help someone get legs as well as promote your breed.

I think part of the reason I wanted to go so badly was the fact that they are bringing in judges from out of state. So it would give me a "different" view of my rabbits from people who don't live in Texas. (Tex Thomas is one of the judges - but I don't know who is doing Flemish - I do recognize his name though as he was on the ARBA Standards committee if I remember right).

Of course Eric wanted to go cause he might meet "cute girls"...and hey...he likes rabbits!

I just hate the thought of spending almost $200 (plus the entry fees and banquet tickets) for a show where there won't be many exhibitors for my breed.

JadeIcing wrote:
katt wrote:

I agree with everything Katt said but when it comes to this. How often will it be big shows? Is it possible that while small you could get some unbiased opinions on the girls?
I guess part of my frustration is I can go to smaller shows and get opinions...and not spend $100+ on a room plus probably another $100+ on gas...and food...and having my rabbits cooped in the show room over the weekend.

TinysMom wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
katt wrote:

I guess part of my frustration is I can go to smaller shows and get opinions...and not spend $100+ on a room plus probably another $100+ on gas...and food...and having my rabbits cooped in the show room over the weekend.
Wouldn't this be a good test for how they will handle the nationals?

Personally, I would probably go. 14 might not be much, but if there are enough in some of your rabbits' classes that entitle you to a leg if the rabbit wins, then I say it would be worth it.

However, if it is costly and you really could put the money down for other things, then maybe it is best not to go.

I think you should just go with your heart, Peg! Chances are you might regret not going if you don't go. :p

Emily

If you can afford it, I'd would go. As mentioned, it's a chance to get a different opinion of your rabbits. Also consider, you are "new" to the breed (as far as showing), if you do well, it helps get your name "out there". When you are just starting out, a win is a win... and a BOV or BOB looks VERY good with your Rabbitry name.

Although everything inside of me looks at the checkbook and screams "don't go...you could use that money for something else...even a big pizza party (just kidding about that)" - I've decided to go - for three different reasons.

First of all - Eric has really been looking forward to going with me and getting out of his hick town he lives in.

Secondly - this is going to give the adult rabbits some show experience. Now that I'm seeing the "kids" mature (my oldest litters) - I wish I'd entered a couple of them too. But at least the adult rabbits will learn about shows.

Finally - it will give me a chance to practice handling my rabbits in front of other people and stuff.

I preregistered already for Nationals - but I'm going to email her and ask her if I can add 3 or 4 more and take some of the "kids" with me to that one and see how they do.

I figure that way at Nationals - the adults will know what to expect and its only the "kids" I'll be breaking in.

But yeah - knowing how few are showing - I think I'd rather just stay home and be lazy.

Bit did you know that the white rabbit's always win over any color bun's... My aunt shown her sandy color Flemish Giants. And sandy color would get BOB, BOS ect and at the end they white ones would always win..

I think a lot of it depends upon the area of the country and the breeders' stock.

From my understanding - around here - the sandy rabbits tend to win more often because of their size. I was at a show in Ct. where a white rabbit took BOB for the flemish and I got the impression that some folks it should have gone to another color.

I also just went to the flemish giant club's website and checked - for the last five ARBA conventions at least (which would have a large variety of people from around the country) - sandys took BOB every time - and fawns frequently took BOSB.

I didn't feel like going back farther than 5 years although the links were there.

Ok - so I got curious - of the last NINE ARBA conventions - sandy has taken BOB every year except one - where it went to fawn and then sandy took BOSB.

Only one year was there another color than those two in the top two spots and that was 9 years ago with a light gray that took BOSB.

Maybe I should've bred sandies....but honestly - I love the light gray color.

But, show's around this area and even up north it seems like all the breeds that are white won.. It wasnt fair!

TinysMom wrote:
Maybe I should've bred sandies....but honestly - I love the light gray color.
I understand that! Everyone tried to talk me out of the blues... for YEARS they "reminded" me that only Sandy's win... But honestly, I'm not in just to win... I love the Blue color... and I want to breed the best Blues I possible can... we've come a long way... (A certain BLUE doe got a "very high" honorable mention at the Providence Convention... it's not a BOB or BOSB win... but it was still a thrill to be told she was SO close... Judges said if they could have picked 2 does, she would have been it... it gives me something to work towards.)

Back