Would this work??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobismyturtle

Reaction score
I have one male 1 year old rabbit. He has his own hutch and everything happy as a clam.(or spoiled bunny with slaves) Anyway, over the summer I built another hutch. I intend to get a male mini lop when i can find one anywhere around. ( no one around here has bunnies. AT.All.) Anyway, I was wondering if they can still play together without getting really aggressive? I have a playpen out in the yard in the grass for my big guy to play in and there is enough room for both to play in. But, would there be any issues? (getting either one of them neuterd is out of the question because of cost) Thanks in advance!

If you don't get them neutered, I don't think it would work.

What about a spayed female from a shelter?

There are no females at our shelter, ever. There are no rabbits in our shelter. The only way to obtain a rabbit here is from a 4-H breeder, and that is only a few times a year. I have another 3 months until the breeder I am thinking about, breeds her lops. Hmmm, I guess I have thinking to do.

You can wait to see what some one else has to say but I think they'll be aggressive un-neutered. Sorry.

How close is your nearest shelter or rescue? Could you get someone to helpyou get to a shelter or rescue? Have you called a rescue to see if they can help with transportation?

Just a suggestion, so maybe you can get a spayed or neutered rabbit. :) April

Edit: Good Luck!!

Neutering a male rabbit is cheaper than spaying a female. Prince got neutered for $95.00

Without them being neutered, they will be aggressive to each other. There is no way around that other than neutering one of the males, or getting a spayed female rabbit or neutered male rabbit.

I beg to differ, it is possible to bond two male rabbits but it will take a long while and a lot of work, it would be better just to get a female and to get her spayed!

If they have lived together since birth they will not fight most likely. Male rabbits who haven't lived together since birth will most likely fight.

I think that if you got another male rabbit then the chances are you would just end up with two rabbits that were single and couldn't have any interaction with each other. I have 10 males here and mine would fight to the death with the exception of Dawn and Hope who live in a trio with a lady friend. I have experimented with bonding options but there are none.

It IS possible to bond males, but is only really worth a shot if both are neutered, however, there is a high chance that it wouldn't work out, also a high chance of fighting once bonded and generally a lot more risky.

A spayed female would be the best way to go.

Is your bun neutered? I'm presuming not? That might be a good place to start to ensure the most successful bond in the future.

I wonder if maybe you coud contact the 4H breeder and see if s/he has any adult girls that she is planning to not breed and could sell you. Then you could look to getting that bun spayed. However, there is the risk with any bunny that they won't bond and could fight.

Are you happy to potentially have two loner buns together?

Could you please put your location in your profile because you will end up with more specfici advice. In this case you might find someone who can help you find a rabbit.

Sweetie wrote:
If they have lived together since birth they will not fight most likely.
I also just want to say that I personally disagree with that. Whilst it is possible that they won't fight, there is also a high likelihood that they will fight (even if neutered as soon as the balls drop).

Thanks guys! Your advice has gotten me two options. Get my bunny neutered, or just keep two lone bunnies. Either option would work for me.Getting the money for a neuter would be the hardest part.But it could be done.

Asking 4-H breeders is a GREAT idea. The fair is in town and I was planning to look at the lops there. With any luck I will run into an owner. Thanks again for all the advice guys!

Where are you located? :) Would be helpful to know in finding a possible vet for a netuer.

Hope all works out! Two intact males can be quite a challenge because they are so hormonally driven with each other. Even my two neutered boys will fight with each other any chance they get.

Good luck!

bobismyturtle wrote:
Getting the money for a neuter would be the hardest part.But it could be done.
I realize that neuters can be expensive, but I consider spays/neuters as sort of a start up cost for a pet. If you can't afford a spay or neuter, how will you afford to feed and cage an extra bun? What if you need to make an emergency vet visit?

Latest posts

Back