Would this cage work for a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecurityStacey

Reaction score
I found this cage on craigslist - it is 57inches tall (nearly 5 feet), 17 inches deep and 30 inches wide. They are asking $60 for it.

I thought Bill (who is 3lbs) would like the different levels and all that - I know a chinchilla can use it but do you think it would work for a rabbit?

Here is a picture:

3n63kf3p71f81gc14291k749927569a9511.jpg

What do you guys think?

I don't know to much about that cage but would be worried about the levels. That could be a nasty fall.

that looks pretty good to me,but maybe het a hold of lots of ramps,i worryabout plastic ledges with no support, even when i had silkie her ledges were always with ramps because i worried she would try to jump down and fall.

It looks very roomy, but I would be worried about all of the levels too. Bill could get seriously hurt if he fell from one of the top levels. Have you thought about building him a NIC cage? You can make a large cage for about the same amount of money that you would spend on that one. Here's a link to some cages that members have built from NIC:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=31876&forum_id=21

I already know about NIC cages - Bill actually already has a rather roomy cage - I just liked this for the levels.

I'm not sure if a fall would really be possible - the levels kind of line up so the farthest he could fall would be to the next level and the distance between them is less than a NIC panel tall.

It's no big deal, I just thought he would like it.

Top middle shelf than look to the right.

Can you take out some levels?I love to marcho(sp) and super pet cages:D

From the picture, I don't think there is adequate room in the bottom of the cage for normal bunny activity. He should be able to stretch out completely with room to spare in the bottom, which I don't believe he will be able to do once the litterbox is in. Add in the food and water, and there is very little room there.
The shelves are inadequate for lying on comfortably, or doing anything fun on. Too skinny, and too many too high up. If they are movable to make a platform 2 shelves wide, OK.

I would pass on this cage. The NIC setup is better, as most rabbits can lay comfortably on 1-2 grids.

It looks nice but I don't think he would be comfortable with all those levels, and like someone else said there isn't much room for normal bunny activity. I like the cages with levels, but the best ones are big levels, that they can move around on, sort of like floors, those are more like shelves, all he could do is sit on them.

I agree with the risk of the levels as well- even if you could modify the highest drop somehow to reduce it, it's still possible that Bill could slip from one, not regain his footing,and then slip down to the other one, etc, since they are not very wide, from what I can see in the picture.

Levels are great for jumping on, but bunnies also need space to stretch, and hop as well. If it were me, I wouldn't use the cage, I'd look for something wider... Plus, I would imagine the taller a cage is, the less stable it will be with a bun jumping from level-to-level.

What was the setup you had for him at the moment? I seem to remember you had a pretty neat cage/pen combo for him? Is that no longer working for you?

I agree. I think the levels are dangerous, but more than that I don't think the rabbit can get up to a full run, or lie down or do normal activities for a rabbit, so I agree with Northern Autumn.

NIC cages and dog kennels do make good cages, but I also would be wary of the height of this cage. Does Bill like to jump? I'd get him a cardboard bunny hideout castle thing for playtime and keep him in an NIC cage or dog crate with at least 2 levels during the day. The cardboard house/castle things are really fun for bunnies.

You can put the carboard castle in in a dog kennel like the link I give penty of room for excise for the rabbit the 1 on the shows one for indoor use.

i had one of those cages for my ferrets and I would never put my rabbits in it...I didn't like it for them and I feel that the shelves are not sturdey enough for a rabbits weight

mouse_chalk wrote:
I agree with the risk of the levels as well- even if you could modify the highest drop somehow to reduce it, it's still possible that Bill could slip from one, not regain his footing,and then slip down to the other one, etc, since they are not very wide, from what I can see in the picture.

Levels are great for jumping on, but bunnies also need space to stretch, and hop as well. If it were me, I wouldn't use the cage, I'd look for something wider... Plus, I would imagine the taller a cage is, the less stable it will be with a bun jumping from level-to-level.

What was the setup you had for him at the moment? I seem to remember you had a pretty neat cage/pen combo for him? Is that no longer working for you?

Nah, that's working great, he has a two story cage and a permanent 3 footby 4 footrun. I'm just always looking around for other options that Bill might like.

LOL - sorry folks, didn't mean to get everyone searching for links and what not for me - he already have a good cage and all that, just looking at other options. He just loves to jump so I thought he might like levels - because rightnow he jumps on and off the couch and the chairs.

I personally think Super Pet cages (the one you are/were thinking of getting) are terrible cages for even ferrets, rats, ect. The plastic levels are not sturdy at all, as I have owned a Super Pet cage in the past (the levels are the same in all SP cages).

For my rats I have a Critter Nation and a Ferret Nation...and I will never look back onto other cages! Ohhh...and the SP cages often have tiny doors....so it makes reaching in there nearly impossible.

Oh...and I think you can get that cage new on sale (which is often) for only about $100....so $60 is kind of a rip off :p.

undergunfire wrote:
I personally think Super Pet cages (the one you are/were thinking of getting) are terrible cages for even ferrets, rats, ect. The plastic levels are not sturdy at all, as I have owned a Super Pet cage in the past (the levels are the same in all SP cages).

For my rats I have a Critter Nation and a Ferret Nation...and I will never look back onto other cages! Ohhh...and the SP cages often have tiny doors....so it makes reaching in there nearly impossible.

Oh...and I think you can get that cage new on sale (which is often) for only about $100....so $60 is kind of a rip off :p.

Thanks, I didn't know what kind of cage it would be - and I knew chinchillas had been in it but didn't know how sturdy the levels were. Thanks!

(Especially about the cleaning part, that's one of those things I forget about until its a pain to clean it everytime.)

Latest posts

Back