Worried winter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyandHazel

Reaction score
Hi all,
So my two flemish crosses (about 7 and 10 lbs) are outdoors year round. This is their second winter outside. They have a run thats about 4x5, and inside the run they have a big box (picture a hutch with no leg in the run, and no wire). Inside that box/hutch they have a walled off section with a hole to get into it - much like a regular hutch has a closed off area. Normally this is where they hunker down in the cold to keep warm together, but this year Snowy is just sitting out in the cold at night in the run, and Hazel is keeping warm in the usual nesting area.

Obviously Im worried about him. He can definitely fit in and out of the hole to the nesting area, and he is plenty fat. Its hovering a few degrees below freezing day and night, and Im worried about him.

I turned on a brooder lamp this morning (dont worry its a safe distance from everything flammable and they cant reach it) and they who are happily snuggling under it now.

I feel like I should do something to protect Snowy if he wont put himself in a warmer area. I checked and the nesting area is clean, enough space for both. His health seems fine and hes being his usual Snowy self.

Should I bring them into the garage at night?
Should I get a big tarp to wrap around the run to keep it draft free since he doesnt want to be in the nesting area?
Should I bother with the brooder lamp? They seem to love it, but I dont want it on at night.
Is he maybe fine because hes fat and furry and Im worrying too much? :headsmack

Thanks all!

I'd worry about him being outside at night unprotected, too. Is there any way to make another nesting area separate from the one you have now? Or maybed put up a partition and have two, just in case he'd just rather be in his own space.

I suppose I could- hes snuggled up with Hazel right now, theyre very cuddly... but I might as well!

Back