Worried about Savannah

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score
I am not sure what is wrong with her or if there is something wrong.

When I went out to feed the bunnies I noticed that Savannah was sorta shaking weird. She didnt start eating her pellets right away like usual and hadn't touched them yet when I left.

She got a drink of water and chewed on some hay. It almost looked liked she was maybe constipated or someting. I though she was cold so my sister warmed her up a bit. She was running around a bit in her cage a bit but other than the shaking part she was acting fine.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Hey sorry I coldn't reply. I was staying the night at a friends house. I couldn't tell if she was pooping normally.

My mom said that she was eating normally and that she just though she was really cold and all.

It is supposd to be really cold here (in the teens) for a day or more and the buns arne't used to that. So that could be why she was shivering. I will make sure she has enough hay to bed in and maybe give her a blanket, she is the smallest bunny so she could get colder easier. Even if she has the smallest ears.

Try putting a blanket over the cage or up against the door to help insulate the hutch, she should do well with the extra bedding though :)

Could you bring her into an area of the house that is warmer than outside but still cool like a mudroom or porch . What do you mean that she isn't used to the cold..what is she used to?

angieluv wrote:
Could you bring her into an area of the house that is warmer than outside but still cool like a mudroom or porch . What do you mean that she isn't used to the cold..what is she used to?

We don't have a mudroom or anything that's off of the house.

Our rabbits are used to the cold. ;) We have put a blanket over the front of her cage too.

Emily

angieluv wrote:

Like my sister said we don't have anything like that that is closed. Even if it was it wouldn't be warmer.

She isn't used to it being this cold. Usually just in the thirties.

I'm going to move this to the rabbitry.
in my opinion they should be inside the house but that is only because i have never had an outdoor rabbit. I think that she is most likely cold but I don't know for sure how you would redo your outdoor situation to warm it up.

I'm hoping that more members can give you soldi advice on how to keep her warm in colder temps than you expected

"Be sure to keep your hay and other greenery you give to your rabbits at room temperature and don't feed or allow them to eat it if it is frozen. It could be a fatal error."

I was just wondering how this could be a fatal error? The hay gets cold, but it doesn't freeze. Is that ok?

I will make sure to give the buns a bit extra food. We should have got some black oil seeds or whatever their called, while we were at Fallingstar's.

We have been feeding them some, what we have left anyway.

Savannah has a lot of hay in her box, they are all going to get clean cages tomorrow so they will have fresh dry bedding then. (they get them cleaned once a week and pooh and litter boxes cleaned out as needed.

We are making sure they have access to water as much as they can. We can't obviously go out in the middle of the night to thaw bottles but twice a day it gets done. They have bottles and some have crocks.

BSAR wrote:
"Be sure to keep your hay and other greenery you give to your rabbits at room temperature and don't feed or allow them to eat it if it is frozen. It could be a fatal error."

I was just wondering how this could be a fatal error? The hay gets cold, but it doesn't freeze. Is that ok?

In order for the hay to be frozen, it would have to be wet and therefore harbour bacteria and probably mould but anyway, hay is ok to be cold but not frozen. I dont see why anything frozen would be a fatal error though I stil wouldnt advise it.

Savannah seems to be better. Last night my sister and I put a big blanket over the front of her and Autumn's cage (Savvy's cage is on top of Autties) So now only the sides are uncovered. Hopefully that will keep her warmer, she has a box full of hay but she just likes to sit in her litter box.

She has also been pooing normally and eating and drinking normally also.

I think she was just cold or something.

Latest posts

Back