Worms in treat mix !?!? (pics)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jcottonl02 wrote:
Omg they aren't even worms- they look like maggots- eugh!!!

That is beyond disgusting and it revolts me! How the.....what the.....how the ****did they get in there?????

If I were you I would never buy those again- if they package up maggots (big ones!!!!) what on earth else has been on those treats that people havn't found out about?

The moths chew through the packaging and lay eggs in the feed.

Pam

Can I puke now? That is yucky beyound believe! I'm also glad you emailed the company about it. They should of emailed you back with someone even a typical auto response, like they have recieved your email a person will be with you in X numder of days! Bad customer service to me!

That's gross. But I do have a funny story about worms in pet treats. I work at a vet's office at a boarding kennel. One of the boarders brought in dog treats from a dog bakery, but left no name, so of course we couldn't give it to anyone, because we didn't know who to give it to. So, being from a dog bakery, these biscuts look like actual cookies. We decided to see if they tasted like them too. They didn't taste like dog treats, but they were still worth eating. One of my co-workers bit into one, screamed, spit in the trashcan and then rinsed her mouth in the sink, pointing in disgust to her cookie all the while. There, in the dog treat were several maggot loooking creatures. Gross. We didn't have the name of the company so we couldn't write them. We were all just grateful that we didn't feed it to the dog. You were lucky enough to at least have the oppurtunity to write the company, even if you were unlucky enough to have wasted your money.

Today I got a response from the company. This is what they wrote. Kinda sounds like an auto response to me.What do you think about it? :

================================

Thank you for your E-Mail regarding our product, Wild Harvest Small Animal Berry Treat. We are always happy to hear when our consumer’s pets enjoy our products but we were sorry to hear of the problem that you’ve been encountering with our product. I will surely alert our Quality Control Dept to this situation as well as your photos. We will also be happy to ship several replacements boxes to you. We do apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your continued patronage and if I can be of any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Donna McTiernan

Consumer Service Supervisor

Eight In One Pet Products

A Division of United Pet Group

Companion Animal Division

1377 Motor Parkway

Islandia, NY 11749

(800) 645-5154 Ext. 2831

(631) 232-1206 FAX

==================================

Yeh... If it is an auto responce it kinda proves that your not the only one whos having a problem with their products. They must get loads of complaints everyday! At least they sent you something back anyway. Would be pretty bad if the boxes they sent you had the same moth things in. Could you not contact someone else?

~Hannah, Bracon and Warren~

That sounds like some sort of holding response that they give for complaints. When we have complained against things, we get a very benign response like that that is basically just an acknowledgement that they have got it, and then tend to 'investigate' and then get back to us with a proper response.

Maybe it's worth replying and being a bit more shirty with it and seeing what happens.

~Bracon~ wrote:
Yeh... If it is an auto responce it kinda proves that your not the only one whos having a problem with their products. They must get loads of complaints everyday! At least they sent you something back anyway. Would be pretty bad if the boxes they sent you had the same moth things in. Could you not contact someone else?

~Hannah, Bracon and Warren~

It's very possible that the moths are invading the product at the warehouse or even at the retail level. Hard to tell where the problem could be originating from.

I'd certainly give a fresh product from the factory a chance.

Pam

tiabia0 wrote:
OH MY WORD! I almost threw up. How do you get worms in that?!?!? Disgusting!

As explained in a previous post and links, they are moth larvae. The moths can burrow through the packaging and lay eggs in the feed. The larvae feed on the grains and infest human food sources as well.

Pam

I would avoid Wild Harvest, from what Ive seen their products are just candy type crap that are bad for our bunnies.

I stick to fresh fruits as a treat. Try small amounts of bananas, strawberries orraisins for a healthy (and yummy) treat :)

So today I got a UPS package in the mail and guess who from?

8 in 1! It contained a bunch of free bunny treats, all of them worm free.

What do you think?

I think I should give 8 in 1 another chance. And no, not just cause I got free stuff. Cause they took the time to reply to me and to followup and to try and replace the product.

And I know many of you say that I shouldnt give my bunnies treats but... hey... bunnies should enjoy treats occasionally, just like I enjoy my OCCASIONAL chocolate shake, or coke, or bag of doritos, etc etc. Those aren't goodfor me but they sure bring me joy! :biggrin2:Everything in moderation...Im not going to overdose my bunnies on treats.

4lpykjs.jpg

My gosh that was utterly disgusting. Those were definitely larvae. Eeeewie. I have had my share of bad food experiences and I suspect it caused two of my bunny's deaths so it's a good thing you check the food properly. I imagine they were infected at the warehouse. It was probably quite humid and all. Personally, I no longer buy any food from major stores as I am simply not satisfied with the quality. At least they were nice and didn't blow you off. Kudos to them for that. I hope the buns enjoy the treats. :)

Latest posts

Back