Worms in litter pan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flopsysmom

Reaction score
Hi All-

I have 7 bunnies that all live happily together. But, when something goes wrong health wise, I don't know which bun it is. I am finding worms in their litter pan. I assume that they all have them, but I don't know how they got them. Is there a de-wormer that I can purchase on-line or in an animal store myself, or do I have to take them all to the vet?

Hi,

I would suggest not attempting treatment yourself. Most of the common dewormers available without prescription can be very harmful or fatal to rabbits. And it is important to know what worms you are dealing with. And don't assume the worms are coming from your rabbit directly....certain flies lay eggs in rabbit poop/urine.

Randy

Thank you for your answer. You might have a good point. I assumed they were coming from the buns, but since the weather has been rainy here there have been no flies. And, no worms in the pan!

If the vet has seen all the bunnies before, you might be able to take in a fecal sample for testing and ask the vet to prescribe dewormer for all of your bunnies.

flopsysmom wrote:
Thank you for your answer. You might have a good point. I assumed they were coming from the buns, but since the weather has been rainy here there have been no flies. And, no worms in the pan!

The fly larvae would be very active and somewhat thick bodies (thicker than pinworms).

fly maggots:

Pinworms:

pinworms.jpg

Pam

angieluv wrote:
bunhugger wrote:
Sometimes there are worms in bale hay....do you have hay in the litter box?

OMG now another thing to worry about with farm hay ; didn't know that
Remember, even packages hay has come from hay from a field - just like baled hay. The only difference is that sometimes pre-packed hay is dust extracted and has insectides, people have been kknown to find cockroaches, beetles, "stink flys", wasps, dead mice/rats and various other things in packages hay so bales arent that bad, the companys arent going to sit there sifting through every piece of hay - packaged or bailed ;)

angieluv wrote:
bunhugger wrote:
Sometimes there are worms in bale hay....do you have hay in the litter box?
OMG now another thing to worry about with farm hay ; didn't know that
I just talked to a breeder that I get my bale of hay from. She treats her bunnies with a dewormer once or twice a year.You never know what can get in the hay that lays in the field, so she does it as a preventative.

Back