Work Sucks.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
Bad day, long rant.

So I've been with this company for 5 1/2 years. Work in the warehouse. After 6 months of picking and packing orders, I got a position checking the outgoing packages. I also did random things here and there for my boss that don't really fall under anyone else. Error rates are very low, so I was able to absorb some miscellaneous things that need doing here and there.

In August 2007, the company started sending orders to US Territories and to all military bases around the world. These orders require customs documents to be delivered. I guess they sent out the first orders without documentation, but they were all returned. Since my time was fairly flexible, I was asked to learn how to do the customs stuff, and have been taking care of those orders ever since, and the volume of those orders has grown. I have gotten a lot of praise from my manager for doing this, and I get a lot of emails forwarded to me from happy customers overseas.

My official job title never changed, nor did I get any substantial pay raise for doing this, but I always loved sending those packages around the world, and making the customers happy.

Well. Yesterday I got news that that portion of my job is going to be shifted to another department. The company expanded into Canada two years ago, and is expanding into the UK this year, and they want to consolidate all of the international shipping into one group of people, along with the people who handle product returns. Understandable. However, I was told that I can apply for the new position, but my manager (who is the VP of the entire warehouse) said three times that it's "not guaranteed" that I'll get the job. If I don't get it, I have to train whoever DOES get it on shipping those packages out, and I'm back to just checking packages for errors. (Mind you, there used to be a few errors every day, everything was done by hand. But they've added a LOT of automation, and I might see one error a month, if that, and the team leads do nothing about the presentation problems so the packages going out are "correct" but look awful.)

The job description went up internally today. Other than sending out those particular orders, I don't have the experience to do any of the other things they want. My manager sort of implied that they want more than one person so there will be back-ups, but didn't specify how many. There are three other people who have more experience than me, and they all already work for the manager who will be overseeing this position.

So. I have to apply and compete to keep doing the only part of my job that I actually like. Or if I don't get it, I get what amounts to a demotion. My husband, who works at the same company, but in the IT department, has only said "that stinks."

Not really in a good place right now.

It's sad that companies expect employee loyalty and devotion, but treat their employees like pieces of used toilet paper.

I hope things work out for you!

When I get upset or irritated about things at work I just remind myself that I'm lucky to have a job.And, it could be waaay worse some where else.

I do understand how you feel though, sorry your dealing with this :hug:

i worked at a thrift sotre that works with orginzations to raise money for the community...i was amazed at how they treated their employees. honestly, i felt like swine in a barn working there.
I dont understand how big companies can treat people like that, how people in managment and higher positions see employees as something to work and have no respect nor regard. i understand running a company the best you can and having high expectations, but people work harder when their treated fairly.

So I applied for the "new" position that is actually half of what I have already been doing for over 2 years. Interviewed for it Monday morning, and was told that they'd make their decision and let people know "by the end of the week." 7 applicants for 2 positions.
Well, the end of the week has come and gone, and I haven't heard anything.

Meanwhile, it's been really really busy, and I've been busting my butt getting those international orders out. At this point, I am doubtful if I'll be getting the position (aka, keep my current position) so I'm just being used. I mean, if I was going to get it, why wouldn't I know by now?? The hiring manager told me on Monday that he'd be done with interviews and have a decision made by Wednesday.

Well. I hate most things about my life anyway, so it's fitting that work is sh*t, too. Whatever. The rabbits are pretty much the only thing I care about anymore.

Best of luck Beth.:hug: You know just keep your head up, you will be where you need to be.

I've been unemployed for some time, I loved the job I had and finally had insurance and everything and gone...Ugh. Can't seem to find just a part time deal.

Latest posts

Back