Work is slowing down....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
One week we were all rushing and freaking to get orders out the door, into the UPS trailer, and onto the sales floors....and now as of yesterday...people have to cut back their hours, people have gotten laid off, and we are all stressing.

I work for a company called "Laser Gifts". We do all sorts of things, like engraving wood products (pens, boxes, key chains, ect). We also make wine corks and engrave them, as well as put lovely stickers on the backs of key chains that are solar powered and flash your name or a saying.

Well, our busy summer season is over and now we are hitting the slow months. We were shipping $100k+ per day, now we are down to about $30-$40k per day. We got too far ahead and now there is little orders to fill....mainly because people aren't traveling for Holiday right now.

I'm not losing my job, but we can't get overtime right now and they are asking us to watch our hours...like stay around 30-35 hours a week....instead of 40 hours.

I wish I could find some little side job to do that would bring me some extra money :(. I need to have more Oxbow pellets shipped to me, get Sammy into the vet for a flea/tick & heart worm prevention, pay off my credit card, and buy new clothes for this fall (so sick of not having clothes!).

Ughhhh.

I would think you might have more work now before Christmas! but I guess not...

It's been a rough year for a lot of businesses, Amy. Hubby's work has been so slow this year - it's been scary!

I hope you find something to do..... I'm looking myself, but I don't want to quit my housecleaning jobs.... I make a lot per hour with those.....

Go figure. I worked my butt off with my business and marketing experience...... and make more cleaning someone's house...... :?

I agree, everything is slowing down in retail. I think its the credit crunch along with this being that time between summer and Christmas. We will probably get really busy once winter well and truly sets in.

We also have no over time going. Last summer holidays I could have worked every single day all day if I wanted. This year I could only work a couple of days in the 'Back to School' weeks (last week of August).

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

The joy of retail it is just starting to pick up.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Is this typical in your company for this time of year?

Very typical, but worse this year. We sold more this year than any other year. Laser Gifts (used to be Orion Photo Indus.) has been around for 15 years. I think it was the first year that our owner had started the business, he made around $100K.....we beat over that in a day...plus many days after that.

We were in a crunch this year because work orders were MANY, well...we got too caught up, too close to slow season...and now we are just waaaay caught up.

I started late Nov. of '07, so right when work started picking back up again, so I wasn't working there last slow season.

Buuut...my section of work puts product in airport stores, so we will always have work....but might have to go home early some days. Once Thanksgiving floats around...it will pick up....then die towards Christmas....and pick back up once Christmas hits.

Latest posts

Back