Wooly due Nov. 10th...what about the cold weather?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangelhotots

Reaction score
Hmm, I have a doe due the 10th of November. I thought the barn was pretty insulated but yesterday when I put a thermometor out there it was 48 degrees! I raise Jersey Woolies so they love the cool air but I'm worried about the little babies when they arrive. Does anyone use a heat pad or just bring the babies in at night? I don't really want to separate them from mom as it's her first litter. Any suggestions?

Meet Piper (expecting momma!)

401879109_E7HNC-S.jpg

401879127_YhEcm-S.jpg

we either put a radiator on or we use a heat pad. I prefer a heat pad becuase then it doesn't interfere with any of the show rabbits coats :)

As long as it's above 20 degrees F, I don't do anything. Just make sure they have a good nestbox with lots of straw and hay. I do worry about first time mothers, they don't always know to have them in the box, but once they are born in the box with a good nest covering of fur/wool, they do OK.

If it's below 20 degrees F, I do have nestbox warmers, electric metal heating pads thay lay under the bedding. They do not get very hot, just warm, but it's enough to keep the nest a few degrees warmer.

If it's very cold out, you can carry the nestbox inside and just bring it out to her twice a day. When the babies are 10-12 days old, you should be able to leave them out with her. They will be big enough to keep themselves warm.

I have had babies born at -4 degrees F in February, with no problems. Not something I recommend, but unexpected cold snaps happen! Just be prepared.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a question pertaining to this. Can you acclimate arabbit that is used to being in the house, to being outside? I have an enclosed porch that I would like to put my cages out on but it is not insulated? Is that ok or should I just keep them inside?

You can acclimate them gradually from indoors to out, but it may be a little late for this winter. I don't know how cold it is by you.

You can try, as long as it doesn't go below freezing at night for at least a few weeks. You have to give them time to grow a thicker, winter coat.

Ok. Thanks for the input. I have been putting mybuck out there and covering his cage at night. I am in upstate ny so winters are crappy here. I will bring him in for the winter so he doesnt get stressed and will start again in the spring. Thanks.:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back