wool on a lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheandg

Reaction score
So I have 4 young lionheads that are 9.5 weeks now and the blue buck is wooly all over the place. The other 3 have lost it on their backs and are sporting the nice skirt but wondering about this blue guy? Will he keep that wool all over or should it go away like it is suppose to? It is so dense and fuzzy. He is cute as can be though. Just wondering what to expect? Both parents are 2XM and all the babies are as well

thanks

2.jpg

I highly doubt it will go away (he's a cutie) - but it looks like he's a teddy and probably won't shed out much of it.

He probably would be good if they are trying to get more fuzz, although if they are trying to breed to the current LH standard, he probably wouldn't be so good, as he is too wooly. He is adorable though!

I'm not sure exactly how it happens - I will try to find out the information for you (I haven't bred for a bit).

Most breeders will not keep teddies in their breeding program and they are petted out since they will mess up the lines. Its definitely NOT something you're looking to add to your lines since the rabbit is non-showable and of course you can get more teddies from them.

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Welsh Rabbitry[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]I'm sure there is more information out there - this page was written a few years ago and the general consensus among most of the lionhead breeders that I knew was that the lionheads have developed by this point in time that there is no need to use the teddies anymore - that there are enough bloodlines of double maned rabbits (as opposed to when this page was done).
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]However - I'm sure there are breeders out there who ARE using teddies - so don't take me as a total expert or anything like that.[/font]

(I LOVE teddies - I just never bred them).

sheandg wrote:
what about this doe? will the "fuzz" tone down?

2-3.jpg
If I was still breeding - I'd find my way to your doorstep to "steal" her from you (or beg and borrow for her).

She's REALLY nice.

Her hair looks crimped (a bit of a curl to it?) - is that so? If so - she's gonna keep a BEAUTIFUL mane.

From what I can see of her - I really like her type - if I was breeding and she was in my litter (and depending upon what else was in it) - I would probably keep her - and then repeat the breeding later on to see if you could get more like her. I would also probably take her back to her dad to see if you can set the type.

Of course - Pam Nock is better at being able to judge type than I am...and it would be nice to see more pics of her...but I really like her a lot.

I probably should have asked - can you show her back - or can you see on her back where she's shedding out her saddle area?

I am probably not explaining it right...

I'd like to see her back - but I really like her a lot.

I don't say that often either.

I'd like you to look at another breeder's website for me - they show a lot and they seem to do well at shows - they're one of my favorite breeders.

http://www.legendaryminis.com/Does.html

Here are her juniors:

http://www.legendaryminis.com/kits.html

Now maybe I'm prejudiced because I like her as a breeder - but I really REALLY love her animals - and when I first saw this rabbit - her website came to mind - that you were rabbits of the same caliber.

Yeah - I do like this doe a lot.

Oh wow - first of all - I'm NOT an expert - I only bred for 3 years or so.

But to me - your first doe is the keeper. She has a shorter body (see how short she is vs. the other girl who is taller) and her ears are shorter and more balanced for her size. The taller girl's ears look longer - or it could be that her mane is shorter and the ears are the same length.

I love the face on the second doe and I wouldn't hesitate to show her - but for a judge who is really into "type" - I think your first girl would place much higher than the second one.

I do want to say one thing though - I really like BOTH girls and I can see strengths and weaknesses in both of them. The taller girl looks like she has a cleaner body (less wool) and a gorgeous face. But she is longer in body than the first girl. The first girl might need to go through her first molt to see if some of the wool comes off the face - but her type is very nice and I would love to see what babies you could get from her and if she can pass that type on.

Hope I'm making some sense.

yes you are making sense. This is my first litter so I am learning a ton. I just love the lionheads! I also have AFL and french lops to compete at regular ARBA shows but I just love the temperament of my lions I will will continue with them in hopes they pass someday;)

here is the back of the first shorter doe

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Oh wow - you are killing me here with lionhead cuteness. I love your rabbits.

First of all - now that Gail Gibbons is no longer presenting lionheads - here is a link to the proposed working standard by Theresa Mueller. Go to the link and read it carefully and especially look at the drawing on the standard. That is what the judges are looking for.

My opinion is that the first doe you showed us - is your best for type (and I love her color). I think she may need to clean up a bit in the saddle area and that may happen more as a senior than a junior. I think she has a potential to have a nice mane.

This last one you showed would be my second choice for keeping. She has nice type - not quite as nice as the first doe (she's a bit longer in body) - but she should keep her mane nicely and her back/saddle area are cleaning up very nicely.

The white doe is my last choice of the three - which doesn't mean she's "bad" but means that I don't think she'd do as well on the show table as the other two girls.

Something you need to consider though is - WHY are you keeping from the litter? For show - or for future breeding?

I ask this because if you need more wool in your manes - then doe #2 becomes a better choice for you. If you have good manes but need better type - then doe #1 is your best choice.

Wins in showing will help you build your reputation as a breeder - but if you're not showing then you need to look at what your herd needs and keep what helps meet that need.

Hope I'm making sense!

I like the new photos. I would definitely keep that first girl and possibly the last one.

The REW I would let go - unless you're really wanting to work on REWs.

I just have the one senior breeding pair (the parents to these 4) it was their first litter. I guess looking at these 4 I am not lacking in the "wool" area but I am wanting to perfect the body type. I guess as they reach senior age another thing I hope is they will be keeping their manes. I know that is a problem for many breeders that the juniors show better and by the time they hit seniors the manes are lacking. I guess type is first and then I am wanting to maybe shorten up the ears?? No ones are overly long but would be a little better a tad shorter.

So looks like I'll be keeping the first doe for sure and maybe the siamese sable. I was hoping to get a better type buck. Maybe next litter. I guess I can't complain on her having 3 does out of 4 kits....;)

Latest posts

Back