Wool Block in Angoras

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello. One of the satin angora bunnies that we raised and sold to someone else died yesterday of wool block. We have been giving all the bunnies we have (17 of them) dried pineapple or papaya to prevent wool block and haven't had a problem. These folks took the bunny to the vet before it died and the vet said that dried pineapple doesn't work to prevent wool block - the active enzymes are killed by drying - and we should be giving fresh pineapple. I had read in books and online that the dried varieties work just fine. Any input?

The vet also said that the diet of a rabbit should only be 20% pellets and the rest fresh greens and hay.

Any thoughts?:ponder:

The enzymes are unable to actually dissolve hair or break up the mucous coating around the blockage. The initial issue is often a slowing of the GI tract for another reason (such as a virus) and the wool block is secondary. For breeders with large herds, the vet's advice for feeding is impractical. For small breeders and pet owners, a rabbit diet lower in pellets, with fresh greens and hay is desirable.

Pineapple and papaya being effective at dealing with fur in the digestive tract is debatable and many vets don't think it is effective. I don't use them and did not have issues with my angoras or lionheads.
I do give lots of hay and that does help. Regular grooming is also needed to help prevent them from ingesting too much fur. I do limit pellets based on the rabbit, but most are at about 1/4 cup per day with some bring 1/2 a cup per day. I don't give a ton of veggies, but they do get them.

Angoras do lose a heck of a lot of fur. I groom every day and tons comes off. I also make sure he eats plenty of hay as well as veggies and around an large egg cup full of pellets per day. I also encourage him to drink lots of water. I get a bit paranoid about hair blockages especially as my other two groom him regularly but I´m doing everything I can think of to,hopefully, avoid this.

Latest posts

Back