Wood Stove Pellets...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another vote for wood pellets. I love them and they are super absorbent, Plus you can just scoop out the saturated parts and spread the rest around plus add some fresh ones.

Be sure to get the kiln dried ones though.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Plus you can just scoop out the saturated parts and spread the rest around plus add some fresh ones.
That's exactly what I do. :thumbup

And because it takes no time to do it daily, my litter boxes never get stained on the bottom. It's been months since I needed vinegar tocleanmy litterboxes. :)

Thanks again guys!
We're going shopping this Saturday so I will look for some pellets.
Hayley, I will defintley check Dels Feed Supply; we get all of our other things from there anyway, so it would make sense to see what they have. lol. Do you think you could check the bag of what you have for the name?

Also, where could I get screens for their litter boxes? I like the idea of lifting them up to get the poohs out easier (wouldn't have to sift with a scoop!).

Emily

I have heard Walmart's craft section, or probably any craft store, will have plastic grids for embroidery. Haven't used those myself, but I hear they're good if the bunnies won't eat them...

Bo dines on those grids so I haven't been able to use them lately.... I need to find something for him.

I got my screens in the needlework section of Hobby Lobby. I use sweater storage boxes for litter boxes, so I needed big screens. I also checked Michael's, but my store only had the smaller ones. My Walmart didn't have any. I expect most craft stores would have some variation of these.

I still haven't been brave enough to put the screens back in my litterboxes, but will try again soon. Need to keep Amelia from digging all the litter out of her box when she's annoyed with us!

We use the pine litter, too. I love the wood-y smell of it. I am trying to convince Jason to try the TSC for litter, but he likes getting it at the pet store. *sigh*

we buy pine shavings in a compressed bale at Wal-Mart. Found it to be the cheapest solution. Another thing we use is a smaller corner pan as a litter box in the hutches and change those daily and then the hole hutch usually around every other week. Use a vacuum to remove excessive hair and pull out hay build up by hand every day. Works well for our crew:biggrin2:

Unfortunately, pine shavings aren't so good unless they are kiln-dried. The phenols (aromatic compounds that make pine smell so good) can irritate noses, and cause liver damage in bunnies. Most wood stove pellets are kiln-dried to remove these phenols, which makes them much better.

Well we got some pellets! It's a brand called Noah's something...

We just went to Dels and got some of the stuff that they bed their rabbits on...of course my mom got this without asking me, because I left the counter because the lady was making me angry.

Anyway, Bruce was more interested in chomping on those, than his hay, so until we get some new litter boxes and grids, he will just have to stick with shavings in his litter box.

The other bunnies kinda just looked at the pellets and once we told them not to eat them, they didn't really care and started using it as a litterbox :)

Hopefully we can get some screens (and new litterboxes for those who need them) so that Bruce won't eat the litter.

We got like a 40# bag for only $4.29; so it was really inexpensive. We'll have to stock up next time, because I don't know how long the bag will last; it already is half gone.

Emily

Good! I checked at my Wal-Mart for the embroidery screens yesterday and saw them there, so that might be a good place to look.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
We got like a 40# bag for only $4.29; so it was really inexpensive. We'll have to stock up next time, because I don't know how long the bag will last; it already is half gone.
That is a good price.

You don't need to use that much pellets. All you need is a single or thin layer to cover the litter box. It goes along ways.

I'm just thinking about someone pouring 1/2 a box of laundry detergent into a washing machine and the soap suds starts to overflow and run out of the machine. :D

When buying wood pellets be sure to check that the bag says "All Natural" or "100% Pure no Additaves." There are a few that add a chemical so that you don't have soot build up in the vent.

So we're going to Wal-Mart today and I'm going to look for some embroidery screens...any idea what section they might be in? I was thinking arts & crafts?

We are also stopping by Dels to pick up more bags of the pellets because we just love them! It does smell like sawdust when you dump it! I thought that was cool lol.

The rabbitry smells SO much better now, too. I don't have to get used to the smell anymore, because the smell is practically gone! Of course, it still helps to air the rabbitry out once in a while for other things; but I love these pellets :)

Emily

I used compressed wood pellets. They were wonderful! As soon as the bunny uses them it poofs up so you know where they do their business to scoop. I love it!

Latest posts

Back